13" Wheel Rear Disc Brake Discussion

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
JasonLee
Supporter

Re: 13" Wheel Rear Disc Brake Discussion

Post by JasonLee »

I managed to get the new rear dual caliper brackets all sorted out. To create a little additional room for a 13" rim I machined down the rotor hub by approximately 2mm so that the calipers could be mounted a little closer to axle centreline. As it happens I now have close to full brake pad contact with the rotor. It is not uncommon for the top 2mm + of the brake pad to not make contact with the rotor when using some of the after market caliper brackets available because they have the caliper mounted high to clear the hub hat.

The 13" wheel test fit was a success. Byron provided a 7" and 5.5" rim for this exercise. The 7" ARE rim had lots of clearance, and so much so that the hub machining was not really necessary. The 5.5" rim, which we believe to be a Shelby rim, still made contact with the outer most surface of the caliper. On this specific rim there is a lip inside the barrel of the rim that extends out from the spokes by about 3cm, and it overlaps with the caliper by about 3mm. That said, this would be very easy to correct by having a small amount of material removed from inside the rim, if this specific 5.5" vintage rim was your rim of choice.

On another note, if someone can tell me how to post a picture without it being rotated 90 degrees, that would be a big help. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Jason
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Looks good. You will need to edit the picture on your computer and re-save it after rotating it.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Ok, but a little odd. The picture is right side up on my computer. I suppose that I can try turning any to-be posted pictures on their right side so that they appear right side up on the realm. But there has to be a better way. I recall someone else mentioning a while ago that it was happening to them also.
Jason
510rob

Post by 510rob »

are you using Apple products to take pictures and to post them?
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Well as a matter of fact I am. I take the picture with an iPhone and then email it to my PC where I save it into a file. Then post the picture from the file on the PC.
Jason
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The problem is rooted in the fact that even thought all JPEG-formatted files contain an orientation flag in the embedded EXIF metadata, not all systems write/rewrite the orientation flags 'correctly', or with any (logic-based) standards applied. Some do, some don't.

further reading, with clear examples of the problem on various platforms
. ---> https://www.daveperrett.com/articles/20 ... -a-ghetto/

further reading, with technical discussion of certain aspects of metadata handling (a rabbit hole)
. ---> https://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/ ... ation.html

As a Mod, I'll just say this. it is a multi-dimensional orientation mess. 640x480 in orientation 1? or 480x640 in orientation 6? both resolve the same answer, but various platforms cannot handle the second. Are you looking at the website in Chrome, or Firefox, or IE, or Safari, or some other thing? Did you look at the pictures in Photoshop, or ...

I know that every time I pull pictures from my iPhone into my Microsoft-OS computer, I have a bunch of pictures twisted into funky orientations. Then starts the process of un-Apple-ing my photos.

enough.
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Thanks! That is great information. Cheers!
Jason