What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Pulled off the rear end so I can paint the undercarriage with Por15 since the weather permits it. Mocked up diff and Cv's. Nothing has been torqued yet. Gonna do that once the paints is dry.

ImageRearend by v p, on Flickr
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

510-Trans.jpg
510-Trans.jpg (303.94 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Saturday I replaced the transmission behind my S14 SR20DE in the 510 with one I rebuild a few years back. Took me about 4 hours from removing to getting trans up and in. Sunday I buttoned everything up but did do some work on the exhaust down pipe and will install sometime this week. Thank God the trans only weighs some 85lbs because lifting it up into position while laying on the floor makes it somewhat easy.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
cartel

Post by cartel »

finally got around to cutting the towers for the DP camber plates- 6 hours of cutting and grinding.. welded up the original holes- not sure why most pics ive seen of these installed all still have the stock 3 holes showing? anyway theyre gone now
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

First coat of Por15 done. Dam this is some really stinky shit. Good thing I had the correct mask on to block out those shitty fumes.

ImagePor15 by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Yesterday, with spring in the air finally, I cracked the garage door to work on the 510.

Last Octoberfast, as I stood on the side of the highway with NO headlights out on Sumas prairie, fumbling to find my small flashlight, I decided the glove box needed a light in it. The dome light really does not throw out much light and it seems everything I have is BLACK!

With that in mind I went through all my bits and pieces, finding the small 15 LED panel I had originally bought for my vintage Boler trailer, then, never used. Only thing I had to buy was the door jamb switch at Lordco, for a few dollars.

I used the left bottom screw hole of the glove box, which was a perfect size and found a nut that could thread on the back, to hold it in place. I drilled a very small hole in the top of the glove box to run the LED panels wires out of, then just taped them to the back side of the glove box. I left the one wire at the switch just slightly loose, so it could go back and forth as the glove box door opened and closed.

The biggest modification was to carefully cut a square OUT of the steel frame of the dash, where that bottom mounting screw would have been. That lets the switch assembly just slide in. There are more than enough mounting screws for the glove box to still be tight to the frame so no vibration or rattles will occur.

I did also tape the wires on the back in 3 spots so they will not rattle either. The LED panel had a “sticky” tape on it so I just cleaned the roof of the glove box with some methanol to insure a good stick.

I originally thought I could just wire it into the passenger door jamb switch, but, as I found yesterday there is some weird, funky crap going on with Datsun’s wiring of the switches. While my door switches and dome light work just fine, if I tapped into the passenger door wire, when I opened the door, the voltage would drop to ZERO for the LED panel, the dome light working just fine. Go figure. I gave up after 15 minutes of making sure I had good ground, etc..

I have a “hot” lead on that side of the car for my water spray and methanol system, so I just tapped into that. The light is super bright, so on these early morning drives when it is still dark, I can see the contents of the glove box no problem.

That little Radio Shack clock has been in the car since the early eighties, still ticking along. I have only put 1 battery in that thing!

Also found buried in my insurance papers were these speed in gear charts that Rob France did for me when I was switching back and forth from 13” to 15” tires.

As homage to growing up with the 2.5 Trans-Am races and John Morton as someone us racers always looked up to, I treated myself to the glove box 2.5 Datsun plaque. Thanks to Dave at FutoFab for sending me that, gives some colour to the dash too.

One funny thing I found was the haze of oil still in the air vent on the passenger side, as the glove box has not been out of that car since the 80’s. That must be left over from the night we were heading up to Knox Mountain hillclimb to race, when we ran into a Corvette on the highway outside of Princeton. He thought he would get away from us but Doug Bailey (in his Mustang) and I made short work of him in the twistys, BIGTIME! But..let me step back 1 week before…I had installed a spray bar for my cam, AND, left the factory oiling in place too.

As we went for miles, me pulling 7,500 RPM, the oil storm in the valve cover must have been prodigious to say the least! Bottom line was that as we got close to the top of Sunday Summit, my oil light flashed on a 2 G corner……arg! I pulled off at the truck brake check, followed by some of the other hill climbers finally. In opening the hood, I saw the massive amount of oil that had been blown out of my catch can, it was full, and then just went all over that side of the engine compartment. I guess the block drain could not keep up with the air/oil flow. I topped up the oil, having lost at least 3 litres of oil.

The next morning I spent 2 hours at the car wash, 3 cans of engine cleaner, 2 cans of brake clean, trying to clean things up. To this day oil weeps from the frame on that side, it will NEVER rust there!!! It obviously got up into the air vent area too, where it has been a dust catcher for the last 30+ years.

To this day, Andy was never sure why that problem occurred, running into it once before on a motor. I now just run the spray bar and still run 3/4 of a liter low on the dip stick with my Comp pan, for if I run it full, it will again pump oil into the catch can. Weird.

At any rate it was a fun little project to occupy a wet, rainy January day. I am going to insure the 510 right at the end of March, just before the insurance rates are to go up. I want to get some driving in earlier this season. Hopefully I will have the car over to Byron’s when he is free, to get the headlight project done, then that opens up some drives maybe at night, just for a different perspective.

It also empties another box in my basement!
Attachments
LED light panel (Large).jpeg
LED light panel (Large).jpeg (302.16 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMGP4422 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4422 (Large).jpeg (512.89 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMGP4421 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4421 (Large).jpeg (402.04 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMGP4420 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4420 (Large).jpeg (286.91 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMGP4220 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4220 (Large).jpeg (253.36 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
glove box emblem (Large).jpeg
glove box emblem (Large).jpeg (376.84 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Door switch installed (Large).jpeg
Door switch installed (Large).jpeg (295.12 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
door switch (Large).jpeg
door switch (Large).jpeg (379.06 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
bright light (Large).jpeg
bright light (Large).jpeg (331.95 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

few more
Attachments
IMGP4219 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4219 (Large).jpeg (550.99 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Vintage Radio shack clock (Large).jpeg
Vintage Radio shack clock (Large).jpeg (496.92 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
polished up fine (Large).jpeg
polished up fine (Large).jpeg (274.39 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
oil mist residue (Large).jpeg
oil mist residue (Large).jpeg (354.78 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Let there be light (Large).jpeg
Let there be light (Large).jpeg (229.73 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

oh that's a good idea!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

bertvorgon wrote: 19 Mar 2019 10:36 Morning World!

One funny thing I found was the haze of oil still in the air vent on the passenger side, as the glove box has not been out of that car since the 80’s. That must be left over from the night we were heading up to Knox Mountain hillclimb to race, when we ran into a Corvette on the highway outside of Princeton. He thought he would get away from us but Doug Bailey (in his Mustang) and I made short work of him in the twistys, BIGTIME! But..let me step back 1 week before…I had installed a spray bar for my cam, AND, left the factory oiling in place too.

As we went for miles, me pulling 7,500 RPM, the oil storm in the valve cover must have been prodigious to say the least! Bottom line was that as we got close to the top of Sunday Summit, my oil light flashed on a 2 G corner……arg! I pulled off at the truck brake check, followed by some of the other hill climbers finally. In opening the hood, I saw the massive amount of oil that had been blown out of my catch can, it was full, and then just went all over that side of the engine compartment. I guess the block drain could not keep up with the air/oil flow. I topped up the oil, having lost at least 3 litres of oil.

The next morning I spent 2 hours at the car wash, 3 cans of engine cleaner, 2 cans of brake clean, trying to clean things up. To this day oil weeps from the frame on that side, it will NEVER rust there!!! It obviously got up into the air vent area too, where it has been a dust catcher for the last 30+ years.

To this day, Andy was never sure why that problem occurred, running into it once before on a motor. I now just run the spray bar and still run 3/4 of a liter low on the dip stick with my Comp pan, for if I run it full, it will again pump oil into the catch can. Weird.

At any rate it was a fun little project to occupy a wet, rainy January day. I am going to insure the 510 right at the end of March, just before the insurance rates are to go up. I want to get some driving in earlier this season. Hopefully I will have the car over to Byron’s when he is free, to get the headlight project done, then that opens up some drives maybe at night, just for a different perspective.

It also empties another box in my basement!
Hey Keith I believe I might know why you blew all that oil in the engine bay. My once upon a time LZ2.2 did the samething to me under high rpm fun. I was running a spray bar, stock cam oiling design and a high capacity oil pump. I pulled the cam and plugged up the cam lobe oiling inlets and it never did it again. Running both oiling systems with high capacity oil pump at high rpm i believe drowned the cam causing it's high rpm rotation to fling oil out of the breather because under torque the oil is sent to the back of the head where those tiny oil drains don't cut it. So, you still running the stock cam oiling system?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning,

No, I just use the spray bar now. We did figure the scenario that was going on, no doubt the shear volume of oil is an issue....PLUS BOOST! I do have the high volume pump too.

Even today though, I still run just a hair low indicated on the dip stick, as it will blow some oil into the catch can under high RPM and full boost...go figure...if I run it at the slightly lower level, I have NO issue. I have the comp pan, so more than enough oil is there under extreme cornering.

You are right about that small drain hole on the back of the block, there is no way with our performance motors that it at times can keep up with the volume of oil.

Keith Law
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Got the rear cross member and diff installed today. Just need to install the coil overs, sway bar, and brakes then I can put the wheels on and put it on the ground. Wife wants her side of the garage back. lol

Imagexmember by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That’s an interesting custom trunk floor.... or am I looking at a modified floor and gas tank?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Byron510 wrote: 23 Mar 2019 23:56 That’s an interesting custom trunk floor.... or am I looking at a modified floor and gas tank?

Byron
When I purchased my car from the PO he had cut out the trunk and put in a cheap fuel sell in. I didn't like the way it was mounted. It had gaps and you could see the floor out side. So I put in a 68-73 Mustang tank from Tanks.com. My fuel door is shaved of anyways so it made since with the budget I had at the time.

Imagetank1 by v p, on Flickr

It has a internal Walbro 255 fuel pump and internal baffling for EFI.
Very easy to install considering that there was a huge pre existing hole in my trunk floor.
I only had to cut a small section out to fit it. The old fuel cell was
freaking huge. This fits pretty flush so Im ok with it.

ImageFullSizeRender by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
cartel

Post by cartel »

there are 3 different tanks in a early mustang- 16 - 18 and 20 gallon i believe, as the 70 uses a larger tank that sticks UP from the trunk floor by about 2.5"... the 64-68 are pretty well flush and the 69 sticks up about 1" -- hows it look from the rear of the car? can you see it much?

a friends car has the same issue - and i actually have that exact tank sitting at work that was for a efi conversion on a 67 mustang fastback
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
Three B's Racing
Supporter

This weekend I drove the 510 around with rebuilt trans and happy to say it shifts like butter. Only need to get it safety inspected for a legal antique 2 year sticker by the end of April.
- John Lennon
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

cartel wrote: 24 Mar 2019 18:23 there are 3 different tanks in a early mustang- 16 - 18 and 20 gallon i believe, as the 70 uses a larger tank that sticks UP from the trunk floor by about 2.5"... the 64-68 are pretty well flush and the 69 sticks up about 1" -- hows it look from the rear of the car? can you see it much?

a friends car has the same issue - and i actually have that exact tank sitting at work that was for a efi conversion on a 67 mustang fastback
Mines a 16 gallon EFI tank. You can barley see it. I think with this photo, you see it more due to the angle I'm holding my phone. You can see the diff before you see the tank. Don't know if that helps.

ImageTank by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !