Swamp thing, from drift car to Endure car

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: Swamp thing, from drift car to Endure car

Post by icehouse »

Had a good race the weekend before last! I was kinda sick so I didn't drive as much as the other guys. Overall it was a blast. We lost 5th and reverse. We think it was a roll pin holding the shifter fork. We will know this week hopefully.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Hard to tell from the pics Jeff, but that looks like one of the nicest mixed media patinas I have seen!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

defdes wrote: 07 May 2019 10:11 Hard to tell from the pics Jeff, but that looks like one of the nicest mixed media patinas I have seen!
It's been about every color at one time or another. We actaully want to paint it. It was fun the first year having a ratty car. We want a cool race paint job now.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

icehouse wrote: 07 May 2019 12:23
defdes wrote: 07 May 2019 10:11 Hard to tell from the pics Jeff, but that looks like one of the nicest mixed media patinas I have seen!
It's been about every color at one time or another. We actaully want to paint it. It was fun the first year having a ratty car. We want a cool race paint job now.
Nice, I like the 620 support vehicle too.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

defdes wrote: 08 May 2019 09:19
icehouse wrote: 07 May 2019 12:23
Nice, I like the 620 support vehicle too.
That's Carter's truck. The D21 towing is a 86 (first full year of EFI, although some late 720's are had EFI) and the trailer is a 66, all a bunch of old junk.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Icehouse is this the car that has the Nascar style front sway bar? Interested in seeing that. I need a front sway bar to finish of the front suspension while im installing the JBC cross member goods.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 15 May 2019 10:18 Icehouse is this the car that has the Nascar style front sway bar? Interested in seeing that. I need a front sway bar to finish of the front suspension while im installing the JBC cross member goods.
It does. I'll get a picture of you today.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

icehouse wrote: 16 May 2019 08:41
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 15 May 2019 10:18 Icehouse is this the car that has the Nascar style front sway bar? Interested in seeing that. I need a front sway bar to finish of the front suspension while im installing the JBC cross member goods.
It does. I'll get a picture of you today.
Sweet thanks
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Great weekend of racing. 7th in our class on Saturday and 6th Sunday. Pretty damn good we thought. With some work we can easily improve.

Only took one barrel a day to keep it running .

D21 doing some work!! Napz power.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

We did it!!!!

Somehow we won a race! 1st in C class. We raced at ORP, if you've been there you know how rad it is. The elevation change is beyond belief. Some guys puke and have to hand their car off because they can't handle it. It happened to one of my buddies that normally flags. He had to pull over haha!

There was a 9 hour race Saturday. Which we had heating issues all day. It took us hours to figure out the issue. We normally burn almost 7 gallons an hour. This track was around 4..... So we first went down the lean condition rabbit hole..... Then after almost giving up we decided to pull the pusher fan hoping for more air flow. After removing it we noticed a lot of damage and sure enough! Ran perfectly cool after that and still didn't burn much gas.

Sunday was a 6 hour race the other direction. Which the day before I had the fastest lap out of our team. Which me and Sam are usually really close, Sunday he did. But he drove 2 1.5 hour stints I only drove 1.

So Sam drove and like always fast, then handed me the car. Which I can't let his fastest lap beat mine. So I did my best. Although Sundays is usually light traffic since lots of cars get wrecked/brake down. It's hard to learn a track with blind corners without someone ahead of you giving you hints. We had almost the exact same fast lap and our car was in first!!!!! Up next was Carter. Which the front right tire was looking very very warn. He went out and held as best he could with the bad tire. Most teams only pit twice because they can go 2 hours on fuel. Which we could have in theory. Our fuel gauge is garbage and after 1/2 hour on E it's hard to keep racing. So we pitted one extra time. Which was good since our tire was done! We decided to do one fuel can and a new tire. Which paid off! Sam went back out only 2 laps down from the fastest team and less then one lap behind the 2nd and 3rd car. Which knowing Sam's lap times he should be able to get second place and maybe catch 1st if he doesn't get held up in traffic. This is why we did the new tire. Everyone out there was on a DONE front left... except us! It only took a few laps and Sam was behind the 2nd place BMW (Straight 6 car) and pushing on him. He wasn't letting Sam pass!!! after 1/2 of this we noticed the car that was in first broke down! Wait they are fighting for 1st!! Of coarse everyone has radios... well except us haha It was obvious that this BMW knew if he held him off for a couple more laps he would take home first! Somehow Sam managed to pass him on the outside of the slowest corner! Then we had to watch him try and hold the lead! It seemed like forever. See the thing about Sam is he's really fast until he isn't. Every dust cloud we worried he went off! A few laps later he won!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Sam's driving style uses all the track! Notice the small puff of dust.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Congratulations Jeff & Co.! It has been fun watching you go from novice to seasoned racer, good job to say the least.

That Oregon track reminds me of Thunderhill!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote: 22 Sep 2019 12:26 Congratulations Jeff & Co.! It has been fun watching you go from novice to seasoned racer, good job to say the least.

That Oregon track reminds me of Thunderhill!
We got invited to the championship race at thunder hill because we podiumed!!! The guys both have pretty good reasons to not go. haha. Would have been fun though! If only racing didn't take so much money and time!

It is fun getting better and better. I also like understanding what changes in the car do to handling. With autox and road racing we are always testing new things. Next year they are going to have a spec tire which is really going to add some fun to the racing I think. Lots of guys run RE71's which have the most grip but cost more and don't last as long. It will be cool to see an even playing field.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

This Z got first in C class on saturday. Cool to see us both in one shot!!!