Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Another 72 510

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

66DUCE wrote: 12 May 2019 22:23
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 12 May 2019 11:33 Great job! Wish I had a rotisserie when I did the bottom of my car. Keep up the good work.
I thought the use of a hoist would be about the same... but there's something about not loosing feeling in your arms above your head for hours on end!
Thanks its been a long week/weekend hopefully can move to the next stage very soon...
I hear you, I did mine lying on my back, with car on jack stands. Not fun at all. Makes it difficult to see everything. Took me a while to get it done.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

So this was the beginning of last week... after many hours of scraping the bottom of the car to remove the undercoating (carefully as to not scratch too much the original primer) I also used more paint stripper to remove the remainder of the paint from the inside and outside of the trunk area. After that I pushed the car out onto the driveway to neutralize the paint stripper and start the process to clean all prepped areas for the bodywork to begin. I also painted over the areas with POR15 on the bottom of the car.

On Thursday, I remounted the doors and loaded it on to a trailer, if you look closely you can see that the car on the rotisserie is about 6 inches too short (this trailer has carried a 65 impala never thought to measure my car before attempting to load it on the trailer!) I jerry rigged some 4x4 posts to support the remainder of the rotisserie and drove to the body shop without any issues. Thursday late afternoon dropped the car off for the body work to be started Friday morning. Got a call Friday mid morning that I had a de-lamination issue with the POR15 that I had put on the underside of the floor, the old oil based undercoating that I thought that was clean was the issue (the wax and grease remover still left traces of the undercoating causing the POR15 to not stick). So through the next 3 days myself and my body man removed all the traces of undercoating and paint and in between my body man worked on the rear 1/4s and engine bay. We fought this thing putting in 15 hour days to knock it out.

Sunday at 9:30 PM we finally had it all prepped/ cleaned and rolled it into the booth. The whole car got a coat of epoxy primer we dragged our buts home at 11:30 PM after cleaning the shop. What a marathon!

Monday we dragged ourselves in late around 11Am, beat but seeing the car all in one color albeit only primer gave me some newfound energy. We applied seam sealer to the undercarriage, trunk, wheel wells and inside floor areas. By 6 Pm we had the whole car masked off and rolled it back into the booth for the sealer coat followed by truck bed liner in all areas not covered by tape or masking paper. We had an early night after cleaning the spray booth and de masking the whole car finally left for home by 10:30 PM. To say I am excited is putting it mildly. Today Tuesday I am taking a break.

slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Nice work. I bet it feels good to have it in primer. Now that you've had plenty of practice you should come over and do mine.
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Good work Greg! That was a ton of work over a short time frame. You must be very pleased to see it start coming together so quickly.
Jason
gooned

Post by gooned »

Heck ya!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

slowerthantime wrote: 21 May 2019 13:44 Nice work. I bet it feels good to have it in primer. Now that you've had plenty of practice you should come over and do mine.
Hey slowerthantime it feels awesome to be past the cutting/welding/scraping part of the build. I know the feeling that it may never be done but keep working at it and you will get there too. Sorry I was only the apprentice for the body work and paint stage, don't know if I would be much help other than support? Slow and steady wins the race! Love what you are doing on your build, will be nice to work with all that fresh metal when it comes time to prep and paint!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

JasonLee wrote: 21 May 2019 19:05 Good work Greg! That was a ton of work over a short time frame. You must be very pleased to see it start coming together so quickly.
Thanks Jason. It has been a haul this week to say the least... I am very happy to see it coming together!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

gooned wrote: 21 May 2019 22:42Heck ya!
Thanks gooned. more to come soon.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You have 2 weeks till the first drive..I would pick up the pace a bit......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

bertvorgon wrote: 23 May 2019 21:16 You have 2 weeks till the first drive..I would pick up the pace a bit......
Ha Ha 52 hours last weekend, and my painter has been working on it in his spare time ever since.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Here is some shots that my painter sent me.

Then the primer sealer.

Then tonight he sent me these...

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

beautiful man! the next steps are the best don't rush it. be aware of the off gas as you work and tap every captured nut as soon as possible wile the paint is still soft.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Nice! It looks like a very nice job. I love the color choice, it's gorgeous!
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Very Nice, can only imagine what it would look like in sunlight.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
Tank510

Post by Tank510 »

I wish I had more hands, so I could give that colour four thumbs up!