Removable radiator support

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Fred_L-P

Removable radiator support

Post by Fred_L-P »

So I've already pulled and put back in my engine/trans multiple times while test fitting stuff during my build so far.

The engine bay is pretty short and its very hard to do the operation without bumping into anything.
I have the feeling I'm not done pulling the engine out of this car for many reasons, and I don't want to risk damaging anything like the fresh paint everytime.

It would be much easier to pull it straight out insted of giving it a very steep angle while lifting/pulling the crane at the same time.

Has anyone made a removable upper radiator support? Or the whole front pannel?

I'd like some ideas if anyone has ever done it before I cut!

Thanks guys
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Removable radiator support

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Byron has a great idea of lifting the front end and installing the engine from underneath. Maybe he can chime in and explain what is involved.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Remove from underneath, and you’ll never go back. Absolutely the way to go. Very precise and controllable. No puking oil out of the trans either
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Is there a write up somewhere on how to proceed? I like the idea but I can't figure out an efficient way to do it.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Thanks man... I already read thru Jordan's build twice, but for some reason I completely forgot about that.

If anyone has also done a removable radiator support please chime in.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

i just cut out the top rad support and made plates and insert nuts to reassemble it. Done 3, plenty strong.
You can see the cut lines in the picture. they are exactly in line with vertical sides of the rad opening
BD970F53-334E-4959-A71C-FA796E86665B.jpeg
BD970F53-334E-4959-A71C-FA796E86665B.jpeg (289.22 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

If your on IG wasabi_1600 from Australia has done this. He cut and made a mold of his original rad support section in carbon fiber. Pretty slick, but very similar to what zkars did. Im also tired of pulling the motor from the top.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

zKars wrote: 08 Jun 2019 12:00 i just cut out the top rad support and made plates and insert nuts to reassemble it. Done 3, plenty strong.
You can see the cut lines in the picture. they are exactly in line with vertical sides of the rad opening

BD970F53-334E-4959-A71C-FA796E86665B.jpeg
Thank you, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'm glad to see it's been done and that it works.
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 08 Jun 2019 12:22 If your on IG wasabi_1600 from Australia has done this. He cut and made a mold of his original rad support section in carbon fiber. Pretty slick, but very similar to what zkars did. Im also tired of pulling the motor from the top.
That's a crazy build right there! Wow!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Many years ago I built a jig to also lift the car from the front, and with the use of a dolly install the motor from the bottom. It’s very simple to do, and can easily be completed in your home workshop. Cutting the rad support to me will alter the integrity of the engine bay.
As noted in Jordan’s thread, I found installation from the bottomincredibly simple and the jig has been used many times since.

Here is the link to the Greg Terry thread

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=300

And here are photos of the same jig in use on my brothers restoration project years later

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=135

The best part of utilizing this method is that you don’t need to remove the hood, and not disturb panel alignment. Also there is much less chance of hitting the fire wall. Additionally, the trans gets installed outside of the car, making that task super simple as well.

Just a few thoughts.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Byron510

Would that set up work with a cheery picker? Thats all I have to pull and drop in my engine.

Thanks
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 09 Jun 2019 12:00 Byron510

Would that set up work with a cheery picker? Thats all I have to pull and drop in my engine.

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing.

Plus , my garage ceiling is pretty low. I always have to use it outside.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Fred_L-P wrote: 09 Jun 2019 12:32
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 09 Jun 2019 12:00 Byron510

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing.

Plus , my garage ceiling is pretty low. I always have to use it outside.
I don't think the weight would be the problem but that the legs would be difficult to get the motor dolly passed. You might get it to work, but it could be awkward.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Right, I forgot about the legs. I was more worried about the height...

I guess it would be possible to start with the car on jack stands to slip the motor under the car first, then put the crane in position to lower the front end. I'll try to mock up something and see if it's possible.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Fred_L-P wrote: 10 Jun 2019 06:41 Right, I forgot about the legs. I was more worried about the height...

I guess it would be possible to start with the car on jack stands to slip the motor under the car first, then put the crane in position to lower the front end. I'll try to mock up something and see if it's possible.
Definitely possible, but the type of thing that you'll have to do to figure out, if you know what I mean.
On another note, the idea looks great and I will give it a try next time I have to pull it.