Removable radiator support

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Heinrich

Re: Removable radiator support

Post by Heinrich »

i have made my top radiator support removable.
works well for me, will take pictures as soon as i get a chance.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p271626
here you can see the car without the top support at the bottom of that post.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Heinrich wrote: 10 Jun 2019 13:53 i have made my top radiator support removable.
works well for me, will take pictures as soon as i get a chance.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p271626
here you can see the car without the top support at the bottom of that post.
Yes please! Thank you
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

defdes wrote: 10 Jun 2019 04:59
Fred_L-P wrote: 09 Jun 2019 12:32
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 09 Jun 2019 12:00 Byron510

Would that set up work with a cheery picker? Thats all I have to pull and drop in my engine.

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing.

Plus , my garage ceiling is pretty low. I always have to use it outside.
I don't think the weight would be the problem but that the legs would be difficult to get the motor dolly passed. You might get it to work, but it could be awkward.
Thanks... Yeah my buddy said the same thing. Im gonna give it a try and see how it goes. I already have the angle iron. Just have to make some holes and trim it down a little.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yes, I do believe it could be done with a standard cherry picker- as the whole thing would be in front of the car. You’d need length in the garage, and a narrow dolly under the motor.
I had the very same thought the first time I used the jig, and her I do think it’ll work fine.

Still easier that cutting the rad support I think, and still less potential to damage paint when coming up from underneath even with the rad support out and still no body panels to come off (hood at minimum).

Just an opinion, do keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

rookies install engines from the top. Under is the only way to go. Easy to do by your self, doesn't scratch the paint either. I didn't make anything fancy. I have a few sets of the SUV jack stands.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

icehouse wrote: 28 Jun 2019 17:19 rookies install engines from the top. Under is the only way to go. Easy to do by your self, doesn't scratch the paint either. I didn't make anything fancy. I have a few sets of the SUV jack stands.
Nice I actually don't have enough length in my garage to pull it up with my cherry picker. Gonna look into some SUV jack stands. Can the transmission be attached as well ICEHOUSE?
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

When I installed my SR (12 year ago) i did it from up top, complete engine and trans minus exhaust manifold. I simply raised the back of the 510 high enough to only need a bit of trans angle downward with an adjustable engine sling and it was in and was very easy. Just an easy way to do it if you don't go the underneath way.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Jesse C.

Post by Jesse C. »

I have installed and removed my engine quite a few times by doing it from below. And may I add, by myself!

I raised the car by putting the rear wheels on metal car ramps and the front on jackstands, then I lifted the front with a floor jack and a piece of wood. The engine, with crossmember installed, sat on a 4 Wheel movers dolly and was simply slid under the car while it was jacked up. The jacking point was right under the rad support area. Then I simply lower the jack slowly, while checking the sides, and voila! Engine was in!

Then I used my cherry picker to simply pull the engine into the engine bay. Car was off the ground still, so it was easy to do the crossmember and the trans mount. And done!

But I think now I am going to make one of those bumper mount tools and go that way.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'll try from bellow next time. I'll keep my radiator support in 1 piece.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 29 Jun 2019 19:20
icehouse wrote: 28 Jun 2019 17:19 rookies install engines from the top. Under is the only way to go. Easy to do by your self, doesn't scratch the paint either. I didn't make anything fancy. I have a few sets of the SUV jack stands.
Nice I actually don't have enough length in my garage to pull it up with my cherry picker. Gonna look into some SUV jack stands. Can the transmission be attached as well ICEHOUSE?
Yep I always leave the trans on. If it's an SR you can take off the turbo outlet elbow to get a little more clearance.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Yup SR, thats good to know. Should make my life easier since its just me doing the install. Thanks
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

I'm intrigued by the "from below" method and agree it sounds like a great idea-- as long as you don't mind removing that front crossmember!

I guess it depends what else you're doing, besides "just" removing the engine. I haven't usually wanted to deal with all the suspension stuff too, as well as the drivetrain, so pulling the motor out the top has been my preferred method up to this point. I suspect that the extra time it takes me to remove the hood, rad, etc., probably offsets the time it takes the bottom-up guys to deal with the suspension. Or am I missing something important?

Not saying the bottom-up method doesn't have advantages... but it might not be for everyone. Or at least not every time.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I guess the biggest advantage is when you leave the transmission on, which I did twice from the top and it is not easy to do without hitting anything.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Agreed that taking off the hood is easy. And yes I have pulled a motor from running to out in 20 minutes in a manual car - but going back in isn't so quick.

Bottom up means a wheel alignment.
BUT...
Bottom up saves removing the hood, or messing with hood alignment - get that wrong and it'll cost ya!
Bottom up means that transmission assembly to the block is done out in the open where it's super simple.
Bottom up means getting the bolts in place to the trans is simpler - L's aren't an issue anyways - but it's still easier.
Bottom up saves paint on the fire wall and rad support - hands down. And that's expensive to fix!
Bolts on the suspension are pretty basic, and you probably needed to check them anyways.

Yes bottom up will cost you a suspension alignment, but you likely needed to check that as well :-)

It's one of those things where you didn't know you had been missing it - until you did had it. Now it's obvious which way is my choice if I had one. I'd been pulling motors out the top for many years, the jig to lift the car has only been around for a short while in comparison. But like I said - given the choice, there's no going back now!

Byron.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

some strong arguments for the below method, my main reason is that i do not want to remove suspension in future to remove/replace engine and gearbox .
here is what i have done to my car.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.