Fuel tank/evap setup needed?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
broke

Fuel tank/evap setup needed?

Post by broke »

Hi all,

Still working on plumbing for EFI, I'm not really loving the weird labyrinth of clear PVC tubing for the tank ventilation.

I was thinking about removing it all and just running a check valve like a PCV valve or something with a small breather filter off the top of the tank instead.

Will this work, or is this a recipe for disaster? Only possible negative I can see is if the valve doesn't fully seal in the closed position I might have some fuel vapour smells from time to time.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
JordanTr

Re: Fuel tank/evap setup needed?

Post by JordanTr »

I took a breather from a newer car (Mazda 3 iirc) and ran it out below the trunk floor. At least the inside of the car doesn’t reek like fuel on a hot day now.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

IF...you still have the evap tank under the rear parcel shelf...I ran a line to that from the fuel tank vent...then from the evap tank out and down through the trunk floor...to exit at the rear of the car underneath. This does two things..get rid of fumes through the air stream AND...if you ever put the car on the roof....keeps the fuel from spilling out...bit of a good safety thing too.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
broke

Post by broke »

bertvorgon wrote: 04 Jul 2019 13:52 IF...you still have the evap tank under the rear parcel shelf...I ran a line to that from the fuel tank vent...then from the evap tank out and down through the trunk floor...to exit at the rear of the car underneath. This does two things..get rid of fumes through the air stream AND...if you ever put the car on the roof....keeps the fuel from spilling out...bit of a good safety thing too.
Interesting. None of mine have ever had any kind of tank, just this weird labyrinth of tubing that dumps through the floor eventually. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it certainly doesn't look very functional
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have a 1973, so for sure had the pollution systems on my car, not sure when the trunk evap tank went in. You can see it above my fuel tank, was perfect for dealing a lot of issues.
Attachments
the whole system.JPG
the whole system.JPG (133.06 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer