510 Suspension (Novice)

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
DATSUN MART

510 Suspension (Novice)

Post by DATSUN MART »

Hoping someone can give me a basic/idiots guide to what I need to do to lower my incoming Datsun 1600 1971 coupe. In short I want to lower her front and back, not slammed just lowered as for me the stock ride high looks too high. I will have a very capable mechanic do the job I just need to brief him on the process. I have searched the internet and youtube and read so much about coilovers, springs etc but there is nothing conclusive I can find that tells me exactly what I need to buy and fit. I will be using the car for weekend driving and shows, no tracking etc. Can someone please give me an idiots guide to what I need to do and what I need to get to achieve this. Your patience and help will be very much appreciated. Sorry in advance if this subject has come back around again.

Martin
RMS
Supporter

Re: 510 Suspension (Novice)

Post by RMS »

there is no guide or standard when it comes to lowering a 510, but anything beyond 2in requires much thought and modification. for the front I follow the bertvorgon calculation witch states that a minimal strut compression travel of 3in to the bump stop must must be maintained with a 200lb per inch spring. that any reduction of the stock front bump stop including strut shortening will require modification to the front anti sway bay to ensure that the bar and tc rods dont make contact under full compression. for the rear tires to maintain full contact and to keep the squirrels out most run Byrons brackets to correct toe and camber on a lowered 510. most hot dimes run about 200lbsprings up front with 900lb in the rear. but if your looking for comfort and close to stock the best setup for 1.5in of drop and reduction of roll I recommend a set of 80s dodge d50 front springs in the back and a set of rear 80s nissan sentra fastback rear springs in the front mounted to the stock struts then pair it off with a 7/8th or 15/16sw bar.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
DATSUN MART

Post by DATSUN MART »

Thanks, really insightful and much appreciated.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

If you are not going too low Byron's brackets are not necessary. Having some camber in the back is not a bad thing. You just don't want a huge amount. My car is silly fast around a corner. All the guys with really low cars definitely need them. 200 to 250lb springs are good up front for a street only car. Make sure you get good shocks to match. Stock stocks with uprated springs don't work so well. For the back if you keeping the springs in the stock location it is a 3.8:1 ratio.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I thought the specialty fronts were 200 ? or is it 300 and 11 ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

300 and 11something. .... I have weight jackers so I have 1100s
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
DATSUN MART

Post by DATSUN MART »

Thankyou for helping build my knowledge and understanding guys. Really appreciate the advice from those that know.

Martin
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not sure of course if you read our "suspension" thread.

While it will NOT answer exactly what you need...it will give you a great overview of what suspension in our 510's is all about and the RANGE of different packages out there.

Pour a coffee or a cold beer and sit down for awhile and read, make note of any questions, then fire away.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1067

As RMS stated above...NO MATTER what you do....you make sure you have enough suspension TRAVEL...PERIOD!!!!

Lack of suspension travel can make any cars handling horrible and in some cases be outright dangerous.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DATSUN MART

Post by DATSUN MART »

Thankyou again guys, really appreciate the guidance.