Jeff's '70 2 Door

View and post your 510 project(s)
slowerthantime
Supporter

Re: Jeff's '70 2 Door

Post by slowerthantime »

Keith's first drive deadline isn't looking good. Bbq wont be a problem though. Got a bit distracted with a trip back to Australia.

The wiring harness is roughed in. Bled the brakes but still a bit spongy...have some air hiding in there somewhere. Happy to see that I only had one leak which just needed a bit of tightening .. The new MC took a bit of convincing to bleed.

Still fixing the drivers door. The bottom of the frame was shot but I was able to save the skin by replacing the folded edge on the bottom and a couple of small patches. Don't have the most up to date pics.

Rebuild kits for these arrived this week.

Dug into the engine today. I've been curious to see whats inside. What I know so far it's an L20B with V912 head and an Electramotive L3 cam. Has a comp style sump and 9 1/2 lb flywheel. Got the head off today. Has been bored to 86mm. If I don't find anything too bad in there, my plan is to freshen it up with bearings, rings, gaskets, timing chain etc. Will clean it up as needed. It will probably be a bit rough around town...thankfully I live in the country :D Once I have the car running I will figure out what direction to go long term.

Anyone recognize these pistons?

Is this a stock crank (U60)? Number is U604. Edit...it is.

Heat around the big end?

Anyone know what brand of flywheel this is?

Good news on the paint front. My buddy that had a stroke has started back at work part time, so the paint booth is back in my future.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

I've been spending some quality "social distancing" time in the shop....its a good excuse anyway.

The bottom of the driver's door is rebuilt and ready for a few final spot welds.

Got the engine disassembled. Found a bit of wear and tear. . The worst seems to be the main thrust bearing and thrust face on the crankshaft have some damage (forgot a pic). My machinist is concerned about end play if he machines the thrust face on the crankshaft. Are there main thrust bearings with different thickness on the thrust face to correct if necessary?

As a back up I pulled the crankshaft out of a spare L20B I bought a few years ago. The oil in this thing was so old it still had dinosaurs in it.

I was kidding myself that I was just going to freshen it up and drive it. I found a good engine builder in Penticton , so we are working on a plan.

Bought a cheapie ultrasonic cleaner on Amazon. Does a great job on carbs.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

AUSTRALIA...Jeez man...priorities.......!!!

Looking good though, time is all it takes.

Question, is it paved all the way through on the Princeton/Summerland road or does it still have a gravel section? I used to go up through there in the 70's and fish at those little lakes along the way. Not much development back then.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Princeton-Summerland Rd is a fun drive. Unfortunately there is still about 40km of gravel between Osprey Lake and Faulder.

Have you driven Green Mountain Rd between Hwy 3A (just before the climb to Yellow Lake) and Penticton? Then you can add a quick spin up Apex Mountain. There is also fresh pavement between Twin Lakes (Hwy 3A just after Yellow Lake) and Willowbrook/ OK Falls.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

never driven that Green Mountain road, just looked on Google earth, wow that looks cool. What is the pavement like? I think I would try going back that route if the road is not too bad.

There is a Chevron in Summerland is there not, with 94 octane?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Pavement on Green Mtn Rd is mostly good. Quite a bit has been redone over the last couple of years. I think you are correct about the Chevron; I will confirm.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morn'in Jeff.

I did Google street view this morning, drove the road, I am really looking forward to that, should be a nice quiet secondary road with few farms, etc, to terrorize. It reminds me of the road from Lytton to Lillooet, I will do that route for sure on the way UP and on the way back, just looks like too much fun and some different scenery. I could not find a Chevron in Summerland, so I will just hit the one at the North end of Penticton, I know they have 94 Octane.

Legal posted speed limit is a bit on the low side but I've never let that get in the way before.

Keith Law
cartel

Post by cartel »

Flywheel is TE.. tilton engineering
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Started fitting the front metal together. A few more adjustments and and I might be ready to throw some paint at the bolt on stuff.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looking good! I had those exact same wheels on my Toyota GTS for awhile. Do you know anybody at the Nixdorf car museum there in Summerland? They used to be customers of mine.

Keith Law
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

Car is looking fantastic! Keep up the great work
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Thanks cwd240z. We seem to be on a similar timeline. Every time I look at your thread I second guess my colour choice. Maybe we need to plan a completion meet up. What's halfway between BC and Texas?

Keith, I know of but don't know the Nixdorfs. They have a place on the hill behind me that apparently houses a few non- museum pieces.
Yeah, I like those wheels too. I really noticed them when I swapped them for the 15's I bought. Smaller rims look so much better on these cars. Unfortunately these ones came with some damage; not sure if it worth fixing..and hard to find rubber for 14's.

Just out of interest, here is a pic that shows the difference in the super sonic line between original and reproduction (GT Muscle Car) stampings. A while back harryagain posted about re-corking (I had to look it up too) that line to correct, which is way above my pay grade. I'm hoping that it wont be noticeable from a galloping horse.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sweet build man!
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

One downside to those wheels was brake cooling if pushing car hard. I found that with my GTS and that is why I found out the driver training business at Mission got rid of them, and, they are quite heavy as un-sprung weight.

If you get a minute, PM me your address, as I plan out my drive route. Should the Covid deal still be hanging about, I will bring my own lawn chair and bullhorn, and park across the street from you, and we can visit.

Keith Law
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

slowerthantime wrote: 25 Mar 2020 21:15 Thanks cwd240z. We seem to be on a similar timeline. Every time I look at your thread I second guess my colour choice. Maybe we need to plan a completion meet up. What's halfway between BC and Texas?
You are definitely much further ahead than I am! Once I get the front end more put back together, I'll flip the car around and tackle the rear suspension. Exterior body work and interior will come later after I get it drivable and enjoy it for a little while. I really like the Porsche blue you went with too...they look like they are fairly similar to each other. Looks like somewhere in Wyoming is about halfway haha.

Speaking of rear suspension, any tips you have on removing the rear axles from the trailing arms? I see where you did it while they were still on the car, that makes sense. As far as removing the axle nut, how much did you have to cut on the nut and did you have to replace it?
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z