Swapping from a SR20DET to a L series engine question

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
RMS
Supporter

Re: Swapping from a SR20DET to a L series engine question

Post by RMS »

icehouse wrote: 17 Jun 2020 17:05
Way better mileage then a L series. No EFI lag. I daily my SR 510's and have never had a fuel pump strand me.

What kind of numbers is way better mileage ?

the womans Better Red the Dead with a tired stock L16, dogleg 3.90s and 200- tread wear 195 60 R14s averages 34mpg..... and keith will confirm she isn't afraid to use her right foot.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

paul97 wrote: 19 Jun 2020 02:41 Is there a kit to put fuel injection on a L series engine?
There is no complete kit that I have seen but everything you need is easily available from the Aftermarket. I used Jenvey ITB'S, Link Atom II ECU and one six industries cam/crank sensor. Then all you need is a map sensor, water temp sensor, injectors, coil or coils depending on how you decide to go and a few connectors. The hardest part of the whole thing was setting up the cam/crank sensor. Even that was not bad. The tech support at link is fantastic. Just join the forum and ask away. They will be able to help with anything you need. Having somewhere to get a proper tune will help also. Link will set you up with a base map.
The scariest parts of it were taking apart a perfectly good setup with mikuni 44's that made 180WHP and drilling a hole in each intake runner of the manifold.
The hole thing took me about 30h working 1h at a time. It could be done quite a bit quicker if you weren't making a bunch of sub harnesses like I did.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

paul97 wrote: 17 Jun 2020 17:11 I like the engine bay without a turbo plus an ITB setup looks so nice and sounds good too.
I guess the difference for me is I like to enjoy the driving experience of my 510's. I don't care about what engine looks cool under the hood. I just want the most hp reliable. I kick the shit out of my SR at autox and daily driving. I've had guys ask me if it's a honda engine because I will just bang it off the limiter constantly at autox. I've done every Nissan engine swap on a 510, all better then the L, even the VG. I'm just letting you know because later you might be wishing you listened to your Realm buddy.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I've fuel injected 3 510's with L motors. I'd rather swap out a KA before adding EFI to a L. Lots of work, and unless you are turboing the L it's just kind of a let down when it's done. Just my 2 cents... again. haha.
cartel

Post by cartel »

save yourself some grief--
id have to throw away those jdm fender mirrors but you should just sell it to me ive got a spare SR20 here ready for it :-)
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

paul97 wrote: 17 Jun 2020 03:12 I found a 510 for sale that has a blown SR20DET and I was wondering how much work it would be to go back to a L series engine. I am not a fan of turbo engines and I wouldn't need that much power because it is just going to be a street car.
Paul,

I thought you wanted a “ready to drive” car.

Be patient and you will find what you want. Doing a swap on a previously swapped car will open up a whole other can of worms.

Just sayin’
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

If he changes from SR back to L motor I agree but if he stays with the same SR-T that swap would be an easy weekend as everything needed is already in place even if he went to an NA SR it would be an easy swap. I believe that 510 belongs to a guys I know in NY "Mike" and if I were in the market for a 510 I'd grab it it's 97% done and was restored.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
paul97

Post by paul97 »

It is not owned by Mike. It is owned by someone named Junior and he owns a performance shop on Long Island. I think I am going to pass on the car. I am afraid of things not going smoothly. The engine is disassembled down to the long block so I don't know about the transmission other things.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

In case anyone cares about mileage, my 510 with Autech SR20DE/6-speed, factory ECU tune and 4.11 R-180 diff has averaged 24.1 mpg over 21k miles from 2005 to date. A standard SR20DE should do even better. 8)

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Tedman wrote: 29 Jul 2020 22:08 In case anyone cares about mileage, my 510 with Autech SR20DE/6-speed, factory ECU tune and 4.11 R-180 diff has averaged 24.1 mpg over 21k miles from 2005 to date. A standard SR20DE should do even better. 8)
kinda low rear gears for the 6 speed. I had 4.44's with mine and it was like a dirt bike. Swapped to 3.7's and it's so much better. same 2nd gear almost as the 71C with the 4.44's.