Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
shaddai

Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Post by shaddai »

Hello all,

I'm looking to take the L18 out of my 510 and fix up a few (dozen?) things on it. The freeze plugs need to be replaced (the biggest leak is the one in the back of the engine, I believe), the timing chain likely needs replaced, and it's burning a ton of oil so the valve seals (and more?) need replacing. I should also replace the clutch... what else should I address whilst addressing this undertaking?

I've never taken an engine apart before... I don't have most of the tools and none of the hoist/stand stuff for sure. What on earth am I getting myself into? (before you ask, yes, I do want to do this myself... part of this whole 510 project car thing is to learn these skills)

Thanks!
MikeY

Re: Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Post by MikeY »

Buy a Haynes manual. Expect oil burning is way more than valve stem seals. Or at least expect to fully rebuild the head. New exhaust valves, new seats, 3 angle valve grind, new valve guides. About $850 here in my part of Canada. Add another 400 to upgrade the cam and new lash pads.
Haynes will get you through the timing chain and re and re the head.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Post by datzenmike »

Well when I was 25 I pulled the head off my '68 and was able (barely) to lift the block up and out of the engine bay. Not recommended, but two guys some chain and a 2x4 would certainly work.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

In my 30s I pulled a 2.2 block over a fender by myself. In a junkyard, and damage was done. The last 2.4 block in my 60s came out through the rad support. I swear that was the last pull without a cherry picker. But yes a bare block and 2 guys can get it out. But in and splines lined up isn't going to happen. Find a hoist. And a good set of open/closed wrenches. Have the money to build the engine right. Make the job worth while.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Go for it, the L seris engines are very basic and respond well to minor modifications.
I knew nothing about cars when I did my first motor on a 510, OHHH 1977 or so.
Mikes correct get a manual the timing chain can be a little perplexing first time....
There's plenty of guys here that will help someone putting an honest effort into it.
I remember when I was starting out, guys like Bob Stevens, Vance Swift, And Don Potter to name a few were willing to help me.
They're gone now but I sure was glad they took the time to help me.
You'll make a few mistakes along the way, don't worry about it learn from them.
Good Luck.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Also Hainz over at Ratsun is pretty knowledgeable.
He has some You tube videos- Datsun L seris head replacement part one
is worth a look.
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

MikeY wrote: 05 Apr 2021 16:55 Buy a Haynes manual. Expect oil burning is way more than valve stem seals. Or at least expect to fully rebuild the head. New exhaust valves, new seats, 3 angle valve grind, new valve guides. About $850 here in my part of Canada. Add another 400 to upgrade the cam and new lash pads.
Haynes will get you through the timing chain and re and re the head.
I bought a Haynes manual already... I have more reading to do (obviously). I also picked up a copy (well it's being shipped) of How to Rebuild your Nissan/Datsun to compliment the companion how to modify book. Rebuilding the head sounds reasonable... and well WELL out of my capabilities.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Hi Shaddai!

Just rebuild my original L16. And I also never did something like this before.

What I can suggest but you already did is buying indeed those two books. Other suggestion is get the original Datsun L16 engine manual.
How to rebuild Datsun engine book is a great one to follow. Sometimes it's handy to ready the other ones the same times to makes things clear which in some books are unclear.

Get an engine hoist and an engine stand! or ask someone if he will it lend out to you.

When you take apart the engine make sure to make a lot.. yes many many many photos! This also will help a lot when the pictures in the book are bit unclear. Would suggest to bring the head to a workshop for overhaul. This will save you a lot of headaches, time and buying more tools.

And another thing is.. don't do everything good... But perfect! It really sucks when you have to take apart something and by that damage more stuff which could be avoided. Had this with my exhaust manifold. Engine looks great in my engine bay. But found out the exhaust manifold flange to the head was a bit crooked and leaked. So had to take out all the stuff again, buying new gaskets and fix it. Which is lost of time and money.

So before you do something don't think twice but multiple times and then act. Don't be rushed. You can thank me later :D :P
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

One of my fears is my attention to detail will succumb to my attention span limitations... and this will take forever and/or get done incorrectly. @Doraemon I follow you on instagram already btw :D (@project_loosechange here)

I will have an engine hoist/stand/etc on their way soon. The downside of being fresh to all this stuff is all the tools need acquiring!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

At some point you will need a torque wrench. And a 10mm Allen key 1/2 drive socket for the head bolts. Im sure the rest can be done with a quality set of open/closed end wrenches. 8mm to 19mm. You will need a 19mm 1/2 drive socket to remove the cam bolt and a 27mn to remove the crank bolt.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

shaddai wrote: 08 Apr 2021 14:10 One of my fears is my attention to detail will succumb to my attention span limitations... and this will take forever and/or get done incorrectly. @Doraemon I follow you on instagram already btw :D (@project_loosechange here)

I will have an engine hoist/stand/etc on their way soon. The downside of being fresh to all this stuff is all the tools need acquiring!

Well.. If the current engine is still working you can try to get another engine and work on that one with no pressure. :D

It took months for me to rebuild the engine (also worked on other things on the car then just the engine). This is also due all the learning and figuring out where and what to order things online. I did the learning all my self and that takes a lot of time. Now could rebuild one waaaay faster ofcourse ;)

If you don't know much now does mean you have to learn a lot.
How to safely disassemble the engine without bending denting etc of fragile components, how oil pump works, how the ignition works, how to measure bearing clearance, how the distribution chain with the tensioner works, how to get the timing right of the engine and ignition Etc..
And yes you need to buy some tools. And some measuring equipment like micrometers etc. Buying second hand is a great option.

But I did see on instagram that you already worked on the car. So I think you are handy enough to learn to rebuild the engine.
Yes it takes time, attention and willing power. :) You could bring the engine to a workshop but (at least in the Netherlands) it cost a lot of money! I had quote for 4000 euro / 4800 USD to get the engine rebuild. Can't afford that.

Looking back I'm happy I did it my self. It learns you how everything works on an engine and how the engine is constructed.
With the gained knowledge it's great to use that for other vehicles you own as well.

Is there anyone around you that sometimes can help you around? Or give some feedback while working on it?
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Pics tomorrow... but it's out of the car and on a stand. Whee!
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Starting point

Look ma, no hood!

Where day 1 ended

And it's out!

and on a stand... that was fun

gaping hole...
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Well done!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Now the fun begins!