wow sweet build
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
JordanTr

Titanium!

Post by JordanTr »

I'm sad by how few posts are on here these days so here is some marginally 510 related content!

A few weeks back, my computer at work BSODed with 15 minutes left in my day and lost my work so I frustratedly squandered the remainder of my day on FB Marketplace. Here in the small town of Kimberley, I found a titanium mountain bike with a cracked frame for a good price. I loved the colour scheme (you'll soon see why)! After bombarding the seller with questions on the phone, I ventured from work to go pick up the unit. I was pleasantly surprised at the location of the crack since it seemed to be in a pretty fixable location. Three brown ones later, i was headed home with the loot to shop for alloyed titanium filler materials and practice scrap. Everti bikes were made from 3/2.5 Ti and designed by a gentlemen on Vancouver Island. Here is some press about the bike's debut. Ironically, the report hypes the gussets which actually caused this crack!

I didn't love the old school 3x9 drivetrain with gripshift so it's updated to a high ratio (455%) 1x9 with a trigger shifter. In original form, it had carbon shifters, derailleur components, and cranks. Only the CF cranks remain now. I also took the opportunity while I was in there to further accent the red with new chain ring, new pedals, and red grips/bar ends. 2.1" tires were replaced with 2.25 and 2.4 units. Billet red jockey wheels on the derailleur were a nice touch as well. The 1x conversion saved a whopping 26 grams! If I played my cards better, I could have gotten the lighter weight cassette which could have shaved off closer to 200g in total. The seatpost is machined oval inside to shave off lazy material and leave stiffness preferentially in the fore/aft direction.

I think this will look right at home on the roof rack of the 510 at the next show with its grey and red theme! It also rides really nice!

Welding titanium also got me quite hooked. It's easy to cut and work with and welds beautifully. If I did any more welding with it, I would invest in a trailing cup so I could do longer beads since it absolutely must remain under shielding gas when hot or it literally flakes apart to nothing. Silver, grey, or light straw colours are acceptable but any ricer boi blue/purple/rainbow titanium is a reject-able weld and has ruined the metallurgy.

Enough chat, here are some pictures.

Perhaps tangible 510 progress this fall?
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Nice bike Jordan. Your welding skills are amazing.