KA24 won't start

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
icehouse

Re: KA24 won't start

Post by icehouse »

This may be a little on the negative side but unless you can confirm your old and new ECU who knows if either work. My buddy in California got 3 bad ecu's and 3 or 4 bad dizzy's doing his KA 510! He had a running S13 for testing. You need someone to test these items for you.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Icehouse, noooo that's not what I wanted to hear. The distributer was remanufactured and purchased from O'reilly auto parts. I'm assuming that it's good. Don't know about the computer as it was used.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

find a local buddy to try the parts. That's my newest advice.
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Just wanted to give an update. After replacing just about everything including the computer the car still would not start. What I did try was to manually ground each fuel injector and guess what? It started. All I can think of is that it needed priming??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it was nice to hear it running. Now it's not running perfectly but I am going to try and dial in the timing and the idle.. I'll let you all know when it's on the street!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

If I remember correctly, there is an ECU input on the ECCS box that needs to be tied to the starter motor power from the ignition key (ties in right at starter usually). When this is enabled, the ECU goes into some kind of priming mode during cranking - is that ECU input properly hooked up? I would imagine that when this input is provided +12V, the ECU likely goes rich as well as retarding the timing somewhat to ease initial starting. Double check that you have that input properly connected.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

icehouse wrote: 21 Feb 2022 08:48 I would pull the rail again and crank it while you are watching for them to spray. That is odd since they sprayed before. If it's wired correctly the injectors get power all the time key on or off.
We talked about this on page 1. Did you ever try it?