gooned

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by gooned »

Yeah!
One bite at a time 👍🏻
fvtenfanatic

Post by fvtenfanatic »

I ran into the same issue when I converted to LED, I think it’s just he flasher units. I have the exact same ones
Rush wrote: 01 Apr 2023 22:45 Since I plan on running all LEDs, I changed out the standard flashers with electronic ones meant for LEDs. I plugged them in & nada. I took the wires out of the connector & reversed them and now they work great! I'm not sure why, though. Maybe something to do with the car being switched to ground (I think it's called?).

At any rate, if you install LEDs and electronic flashers & they don't flash, this might be why. I just took a piece of stiff wire & flattened the end with a hammer to make a little tool to stick in the end of the connector to depress the little tang on the spade so I could pull them out. Pretty simple! Oh, make sure to test the switched-around wires before putting them back in the connector, and it doesn't hurt to mark one of the slots, either so you don't accidentally stick them right back where they were! lol! ...cuz that definitely didn't happen to me... :? :lol:

I also cleaned up my dash pad the best I could. It was really really faded to grey and marked up. At least it's black again, but unfortunately, it has a crack, of course. It'll do for now! Despite it not being perfect, the dash looks very nice, overall; especially compared to how it looked before! All my dash lights are LEDs and they all work, (even the idiot lights!) except the high beam indicator. I haven't got the headlights installed in the car, so that might be why?

Damon
1971 510 2-dr
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet Cafe Racer
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1956 BSA DBD34GS GoldStar flat track racer
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Oh! Good to know! I hope I can remember when/if I ever have to change them out!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Well, I think my voltage regulator has crapped out on me. Dang thing! Only got the 51 years out of it! :lol: I was showing 17+v at the battery today. My alternator is new (my cousin owns an automotive electric shop & he built the alternator). It's an externally regulated alternator. Should I get an internally regulated one (even though there's nothing wrong with mine) or simply get a new VR?
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I love my internally regulated one. The trick is, which one to use? I can't remember which I opted for, but it's a bit bigger than stock. So, the clearance with the coolant outlet is sorta tight. Getting rid of 50+ year old external regulator feels good.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

loungin112 wrote: 08 Apr 2023 21:32 I love my internally regulated one. The trick is, which one to use? I can't remember which I opted for, but it's a bit bigger than stock. So, the clearance with the coolant outlet is sorta tight. Getting rid of 50+ year old external regulator feels good.
What about electrical connections? Is there a how to somewhere?
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Here's a link to the DQ article that shows how to do the conversion.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... VOsa5PeUSQ

I took my VR apart yesterday & cleaned everything up; sanded the points, gave them a little contact cleaner bath, re-sanded the ground, etc.) and now I'm getting roughly 14-15v at the battery with the car running. I'm going to pick up a new VR from my cousin's shop just in case. He said he thinks he has a NOS one on the back shelf I can have.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

We FINALLY had a warm day today and I soaked every second of sunshine up by working on my fenders outside! The lowers of them were starting to rust through so I cut out the rusty area and welded in a new piece of sheet metal. Also, the bumper support hole (?) was oddly mangled so I welded that up to make it round again. I still need to run a deburring tool in the hole to make it actually round. I've never had a front bumper so I'm not even positive that's what it's for. I guess if I can ever find a bumper, I'll figure it out!

Pics!

loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Pjackb wrote: 09 Apr 2023 05:06
loungin112 wrote: 08 Apr 2023 21:32 I love my internally regulated one. The trick is, which one to use? I can't remember which I opted for, but it's a bit bigger than stock. So, the clearance with the coolant outlet is sorta tight. Getting rid of 50+ year old external regulator feels good.
What about electrical connections? Is there a how to somewhere?
Paolo's diagram makes it an easy process for visual learners like me. I followed the diagram and my dummy lights still work as they should.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

All loaded up for a trip to the exhaust shop! That big ol trailer squatted my truck! So much for that lift kit! lol!
Since my husband works so much, my big brother is lending a hand.

iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Just fill that fender hole. Most of us don't attach the bumper at the ends so it doesn't damage the fenders should something contact the bumper.

You have way too much snow left for April (but maybe normal so close to the great white north).
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I agree with iceman. I have fibreglass front fenders and I did not attach the bumper to them. It vibrates a bit but will save the fenders from damage from a bump.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, guys, I'll do that.

Yeah, we had a VERY snowy winter; the snowiest in history, in fact. *barf*. Yesterday was 75º, today was 80º and all the roads are flooding really badly. The stream on my property has crested our road & it's washing out and there are many other really sketchy run-over areas. I had to tow my car through a LOT of it to get home. It wasn't like that when I left for town this morning. Scary stuff!

Well, I'm $480 lighter but I have exhaust! My car sounds awesome! Nice & quiet at idle but a smooth, throaty bark when I give it the beans! It's a 1 3/4" Y to 2" pipe to 2 1/4" Thrush Welded muffler and a 2 1/4" tip. I was really worried it'd sound like one of those buzz-buzz tuner cars the kids drive. Ick. I hate that sound.

Now that that is done, I can time the car and get the carb dialed in. It runs beautifully but I haven't done any tuning. I have a bit of a dead spot between idle and "go" that I'd like to iron out.

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Congrats Rush. Another brick in the wall!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! So true!

Now I'm REALLY dying to drive it!