Engine Bay (and other) Wiring Help?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Rush
Supporter

Re: Engine Bay (and other) Wiring Help?

Post by Rush »

Good info, IM! I need to revisit this issue soon! I'm thinking I can skip the power connection as you've shown because I do have power at one R/B. I just need to sort out the story with the other R/B. It must be the one that runs to the lights but it's in the same loom as the powered one.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

iceman510 wrote: 15 May 2023 08:27 Over the weekend I fixed my reverse light wiring issue. Looking at the diagram it show a green wire coming off the fuse box spliced to the white/blue wire to the voltage regulator and also one of the red/black wires to the reverse light circuit. I had only one red/black wire coming out of the harness at the location near the master cylinders.

First I tested continuity and verified the red/black there is the wire that goes into the dash harness then connects to the rear chassis harness and then back to the actual reverse lights in the rear combination lamps. This left me with needing to add the source branch of the red/black that will eventually connect to the reverse light switch in the transmission. I peeled back tape and was able to find the location of the original splice (deduced as such since there was not trace of wiring insulation left to verify the color, but location makes sense). I neglected to take a photo of the severed splice device, but the location was about 8" from the 6 pin connector that attaches to the fuse box.

As you will from the first photo, that actual splice of the blue/white to the green occurs in the connector terminal itself, at least in my car.

fusebox connector 2.jpg

Tracing the green back about 8" from the 6-pin connector as mentioned, under some electrical tape I found the old splice. It was a small copper double crimp that had the joining wire cut off and the crimp remained only on the green wire. I spliced in a number of feet of red/black to reach the transmission, put heat shrink over the new splice and retaped the harness in the fuse box area. As soon as I power up the car I will verify this works, but I have no reason to think it won't.'

wire splice 2.jpg
Let me know how it worked out for you ,
I'm getting frustrated with mine , as it is reverse are on all the time now lol
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Rush wrote: 15 May 2023 08:47 Good info, IM! I need to revisit this issue soon! I'm thinking I can skip the power connection as you've shown because I do have power at one R/B. I just need to sort out the story with the other R/B. It must be the one that runs to the lights but it's in the same loom as the powered one.
They do share the same loom location until near the fusebox where the line to the rear of the car heads into the cabin. I think I put everything back together, but I'll check if I can provide any detail on which connector it is.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

🍿