I bought Squirrelette's Goon!

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

I bought Squirrelette's Goon!

Post by icehouse »

It turns out it used to be Carter's wagon back in the olden days.  He sold it to another guy we work with named Patrick who then sold it.  It ended up with Squirrelette for a long time.  She had IRS from a 510 Sedan installed. It also got a KA swap.  I fixed the wiring on it 5 years ago.  Such a cool wagon.  Here is a pic of her leaving my house.  

Later the motor started to smoke, they pulled the motor and found another KA for it. It never got finished. I found a bone stock Nissan 240sx near some land me and my brother own. I tried to buy it a few years ago. They used it as a daily driver so they said no. A few years later I saw it with a sign in the back window!!!! He wanted 5k for it. A bit was a bit steep. I told Squirrelett and her husband about it. They ended up getting it for 3500 which I think was a fair price. Since they had so many cars they need to get rid of one! They posted the goon on facebook and I bought it. It was only fair that I got it. I mean I found Squirrelette her exact High School 240sx I mean same color model everything.

Here is how it looks now. Kinda sad. I will restore it to its former glory!!

Here are some photos of it when Carter owned it and a few from when Squirrelette first got it.

My favorite look!!!!

I've never had a wagon as a driver, I've owned a few project wagons but never daily drivers. I liked the 68 wagon of Doom we build way back in the day with IRS. I couldn't pass one up with IRS. To cool! I've also never had a KA 510. This could be two firsts!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Stu
Supporter

Re: I bought Squirrelette's Goon!

Post by Stu »

Congrats. Love the wagons. Hope you get the car back to it's former glory.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Cool.
I've DD'n a few wagons in my time. My last wagon was low - pinion snubber smashing low. You know - wolfman style! It was fun. But the IRS would be an interesting drive.
Did they move the X member up when they installed it - or was it done more/less at the stock installation height relative to the body?
Cool project, can't wait for more.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron it's in the normal spot. Moving it up would require removing the rear seats. Which to me is the point of a wagon. IRS is so it can go low. They look so good low but Even if you cut under the rear seat a little they aren't really that low. IRS then they can set on the ground :)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I know what you mean. My red EFI wagon pretty much just articulated around the pinion snubber. And I ran VW inserts on shortened ZX struts and coil overs (with camber plates I hand machined). If you’ve ever seen an early rabbit inserts, you know how short they are.
But that car looks really low! I assume the flares are still on it? Did the arches get cut? I hoping not (fingers crossed).
Flaring a wagon is tough. I have done it, with BRE style bubble flares, and it’s hard to make look good, and functional. I too put the flare up on the door and then cut the flare. But mine were much higher. It was a lot of work, and I don’t think I got it right. And although the TA’s that I ran at that time (early 90’s) were crap, I have to admit the 235/50-13’s looked pretty awesome from the rear :-)
That car was pre-didgital camera era, so there are few photos. There may be some pictures around. That car did go to shows in Seattle and Portland as well in the early 90’s.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Long live the Goon’s!

Love it.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote: 06 Jan 2021 18:11 I know what you mean. My red EFI wagon pretty much just articulated around the pinion snubber. And I ran VW inserts on shortened ZX struts and coil overs (with camber plates I hand machined). If you’ve ever seen an early rabbit inserts, you know how short they are.
But that car looks really low! I assume the flares are still on it? Did the arches get cut? I hoping not (fingers crossed).
Flaring a wagon is tough. I have done it, with BRE style bubble flares, and it’s hard to make look good, and functional. I too put the flare up on the door and then cut the flare. But mine were much higher. It was a lot of work, and I don’t think I got it right. And although the TA’s that I ran at that time (early 90’s) were crap, I have to admit the 235/50-13’s looked pretty awesome from the rear :-)
That car was pre-didgital camera era, so there are few photos. There may be some pictures around. That car did go to shows in Seattle and Portland as well in the early 90’s.

Byron
Besides the cool factor of being low it's also easy to get LSD diffs for the sedans. Although in Sam's wagon we installed a H165 because we found a rare clutch LSD that fit it. He broke the tabs off the clutch disks (SR20VET about 300hp) but the R160 disks fit!

Yes the arches are cut. I will fix them and remove the step inside the door for more clearance while repairing it.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I realized I never updated this thread. I got it all back together and a driver. Squirrelette contacted me and wanted to know if I would sell her the goon back. So like a dummy I sold it back for probably less then the parts I bought to get it road worthy. It was cool seeing her drive it away again. After I got it road worthy I did realize how much love it still needed. I'm glad I could pass the torch on, again. Here is what the bay looked like after I got it done. Turned out the VW rad was split down the side. I had an aluminum guy I pulled from a different car I put a SR in. So I tig welded the inlet and outlet in the correct spot and it just barely fit. Also rebuild the intake pipe, turned out nice. Overall I was happy with it. 15 or more years ago I wanted to make a press jig to remold the KA mounts to scoot the engine back 1". I sure wish I would have built it. Back then I never thought I would have put so many KA's in. Live and learn I guess.

edekalil

Post by edekalil »

icehouse wrote: 04 Jun 2023 22:51 I realized I never updated this thread. I got it all back together and a driver. Squirrelette contacted me and wanted to know if I would sell her the goon back. So like a dummy I sold it back for probably less then the parts I bought to get it road worthy. It was cool seeing her drive it away again. After I got it road worthy I did realize how much love it still needed. I'm glad I could pass the torch on, again. Here is what the bay looked like after I got it done. Turned out the VW rad was split down the side. I had an aluminum guy I pulled from a different car I put a SR in. So I tig welded the inlet and outlet in the correct spot and it just barely fit. Also rebuild the intake pipe, turned out nice. Overall I was happy with it. 15 or more years ago I wanted to make a press jig to remold the KA mounts to scoot the engine back 1". I sure wish I would have built it. Back then I never thought I would have put so many KA's in. Live and learn I guess.

What a sweet Goon