supercharged KA24E?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
icehouse

supercharged KA24E?

Post by icehouse »

The more projects the better in my book :)

I got my kid a 96 D21 while I hunted for a cheap daily for her. I found a newish VW GTI. Now I have the D21 back. It's a beater and I just love driving it around. Don't have to care about scratches or anyone messing with it. If it had a LSD and about 80 more HP a guy sure would be over the moon!! SO.....................

I have a Xterra supercharger I got a while ago. I thought why not make a new home in the D21 2WD for it. I messaged Steve (Redeye from Ratsun) to see if he had a D21 KA I could borrow. He sure came through!!! Dropped it off at my house! What a guy.

So I've been test fitting parts. Looks like I can machine an adapter and it should clear the hood.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
gooned

Re: supercharged KA24E?

Post by gooned »

😎🍿
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Ohh that is very interesting. You could probably find a party pulley for it and find out how much boost a KA will take.

For science of course.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

How much does the SC displace per turn?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

In all my years of racing, both at Boundary Bay and some of other venues, only one person EVER
showed up with a super-charger, and it was on his 510.

It was a vane style, Judd or Paxton can't remember for sure, He constantly fought the thing to run right, as he had trouble with belt tension constantly, and, again if I remember, the actual vanes in the charger.

Only ONCE...did it ever run as it should have, and WOW...did it work well.

One time, a fellow showed up with a bling'ed out Pontiac Fiero Gt, where he had put nitrous oxide kit on it. Unfortunately he bragged SO MUCH in the pits that he was going to stomp everybody, that he had NO pity from us when the car just could not modulate for Solo type driving..on,off,on off throttle. Nitrous was likely the worst thing anyone could put on a Solo car!

Other than myself, and a couple of others that tried turbo-charging, nothing else unique ever showed up.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dang I've been trying to write back but when I go on at lunch time at work the site breaks down..... anyways.

Mike: Then only spec I know is that it's off an 2002 Xterra. My guess is I will get around 10PSI of boost on the KA Max.

Keith: I'm putting it on a D21 I daily drive lately. So not an exciting car I race. I haven't even autoxed much with my wife working weekends. So mostly just building cars and other shop projects. The autox I go to has lots and lots of odd cars and mods. Usually they don't work very well haha. But some cars do really good. Lately the fast guys are a really good driver in a spec road race BMW. He runs Hoosiers an autox's it and there is a Tesla model 3 that is the fastest AWD car most races. I'm not sure the fastest FWD car. My Z is okay to drive but needs many upgrades to feel as good as the 510.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon wrote: 19 Feb 2024 11:05nothing else unique ever showed up.
What about that Lotus Europa body on the Formula Atlantic chassis with the Buick Grand National 6 connected to the Hewland FT200 (or maybe it was a DG300?)?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

YUP...As I was sitting reviewing the day, I remembered Gary Milligan's car!

I believe he still has that. Wow, that was a long time ago now. He is still working on the latest
A-Mod car, as I believe john Haftner is too.

I guess the Meyers dune buggy with the Porsche engine should qualify also.
Attachments
John Hafner.jpg
John Hafner.jpg (427.11 KiB) Viewed 120 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer