Am I in over my head? '70 2 door from scratch

View and post your 510 project(s)
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: Am I in over my head? '70 2 door from scratch

Post by ostaylor »

Got the driver's side seat mounts finished up, painted and installed.
Seat mounts final install.jpg
Seat mounts final install.jpg (549.45 KiB) Viewed 154 times
And then fitted the driver's seat. These are really comfortable and period correct seats. I am really happy with them I hope the height and distance from the steering wheel works well - we will see...
Seat installed.jpg
Seat installed.jpg (606 KiB) Viewed 154 times
I could not find original horns, but these aftermarket ones are two tone / high - low and look pretty good. I did need to have custom mounts made for them.
Horn mount installed.jpg
Horn mount installed.jpg (275.09 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Horns installed.jpg
Horns installed.jpg (302.33 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Super pleased with this '69 grill and emblem that I found on Facebook... it is in great shape. I will tackle painting the emblem soon, but for now it looks great and was the final piece for me to have the exterior of the car all look like a 1969 (rear license plate light on the bumper, round rear and arrow front side maker lights, etc.).
69 grill and emblem installed.jpg
69 grill and emblem installed.jpg (415.46 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Also got my led headlights installed. I like the classic look and hopefully modern performance that I should get from these.
Headlights and Grill installed.jpg
Headlights and Grill installed.jpg (405.09 KiB) Viewed 154 times
And I continue to make progress with my Classic Air heating and cooling system installation. I decided to go with one of their bulkheads instead of just running the lines through the firewall with grommets... Seems like a cleaner look and better sealing between the engine bay and interior.
Classic Air Bulkhead engine bay.jpg
Classic Air Bulkhead engine bay.jpg (315.34 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Classic Air Bulkhead inside.jpg
Classic Air Bulkhead inside.jpg (542.17 KiB) Viewed 154 times
I borrowed a hydraulic / AC hose crimping tool and pretty pleased with how these turned out. More of that to come...
AC Hose crimp.jpg
AC Hose crimp.jpg (265.05 KiB) Viewed 154 times
I also borrowed a wheel fitment tool as I want to order my wheels and tires and was hoping to better understand what I can reasonably expect to fit given my brakes, suspension, etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the fitment tool requires you to have and mount a sample tire on it. If anyone in or around Victoria, BC has a 205/50/15 or close to that tire they can loan me, let me know!
Wheel fitment.jpg
Wheel fitment.jpg (281.65 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

Really nice work, Owen....lots of disparate parts you're integrating beautifully....all the best with the build; following with interest!
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

My love / hate relationship with nice weather has been evident over the last month... I'd post pictures of my garden, yard, new shed etc. but it would be kind of off topic! All this to say, my time in the garage has been suffering a bit. I am also running into some of the really big things that I need to get done and maybe feeling a bit up against a wall... time to double down and get shit done! I continue to chip away, but it has been a month since I posted so here's several things that have progressed.

Thankfully my cries for help in finding a door handle paid off and it was right here in Victoria all along - thanks Dan!
Door handle solved.jpg
Door handle solved.jpg (339.86 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Getting the front seat placement and custom mounts was a lot more work than I anticipated. I love these seats - Toyota 4Runner of ~1982 vintage but still look very period correct and they have great bolster. So I'm happy to have that behind me. I hope to have the headrests back from my brother soon (are you reading my updates??) :wink:
Front seats mounted.jpg
Front seats mounted.jpg (513.12 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Here is the final result of the 3D printed speaker mounts for my Retrosound 4.25 inch speakers. I love how these tuck away so nicely.
Retro kick panel speaker installed.jpg
Retro kick panel speaker installed.jpg (406.02 KiB) Viewed 68 times
My son and I tackled installing the SR20DET wiring harness into the car. This was a lot of work and we thought for a while that it might never make it through the firewall. Definitely a two person job, fishing each connector through the firewall and lining up the harness as you go. Now, where does everything plug in?? :lol:
Wiring Specialties engine bay.jpg
Wiring Specialties engine bay.jpg (438.76 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Wiring Specialties inside.jpg
Wiring Specialties inside.jpg (583.16 KiB) Viewed 68 times
I was finally able to pickup my wheel well covers (thanks Mike!!) and I'm really pleased with the fit and quality. Once I got these glued in, I was able to finish running everything I can think of that goes behind the seat, tidy everything up and reinstall the rear seat, side panels and carpet. Starting to look like a real car.
Wheel well cover.jpg
Wheel well cover.jpg (410.01 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Rear seat area ready.jpg
Rear seat area ready.jpg (353.45 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Rear seat complete.jpg
Rear seat complete.jpg (574.02 KiB) Viewed 68 times
I also picked up a missing wiper arm from MikeY and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had a problem... the other arm that I did have, doesn't have the nut that secures it to the post. Thankfully, Mike found one in the boneyard so another good reason to visit him soon 8)
Wiper arms - missing nut.jpg
Wiper arms - missing nut.jpg (514.96 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Just before posting this, I settled on a set of wheels and ordered them - stay tuned for pictures of those very soon.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

Looking great. Keep up the great work and thanks for taking the time to share.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(