The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Byron510

The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Post by Byron510 »

OK, the big day starts today. After 3 years of delaying and making up all the excuses in the world (like ice racing, building umteen numbers of cages, changing jobs, getting married ect, ect,ect), I have decided to finally start the restoration of my 1969 2 door. I took some starting photos today, and will update as I go. I may start a gallery if it makes more sense (Spencer??) I'm jumping in head first on this one, and I hope that through this digital age and ease of sharing information, that you all can give me all the advise/critasism I deserve. Anyways wish me luck.....
Attachments
69'er Resto 018.jpg
69'er Resto 016.jpg
Here are some before shots....
Here are some before shots....
Last edited by Byron510 on 10 Feb 2007 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Byron,what are your plans for the restoration?Full ,down to shell and back up?Motor,etc.Well it sounds fun :D
Byron510

plans....

Post by Byron510 »

The current plans are to basically re-paint the car inside and out. The current list will include the replacement of the driver’s side door and trunk lid - they have too much rust in the seams. I will upgrade the brakes back to at least a duel master set up (like what came originally with the car, and not the scary backdated single master that now exists - somebody had a taste for death over power or a total lack of self preservation!). The roadster transmission needs bearings, and all fuel end electrical lines need to be re-done (note to car builders - never attach you newly mounted trunk battery cables to the new fuel line that you have just run through the interior of the car - idiots!! rub, rub, ground - spark - BOOM!!) Some things from the previous builder need looking at and consequent addressing.

The car has some neat history. It was built by Bob Stevens at Yamamoto Motors, in Richmond BC (or so I'm told). If you are an older member you may have heard of Bob, as he was a Westwood regular - never met the men myself. Anyways, rumors always get bigger and juicier with age but it's been said that Bob Stevens spent some time with Pete Brock and his crew commonly known as the BRE team. He learned quite a bit from his travels, talked to many people, made contacts and in the very early seventies built up to 7 replicas of the BRE cars out of this shop in Richmond. Most of these cars competed locally here at Westwood, and at many tracks around the Pacific Northwest. To make a long story short, this is one of his cars, only this one never saw a track in its lifetime. My 1969 car was bought used, in 1970, by a guy living in Victoria. His name was Gary Ford (another guy I've never met, but definitely one responsible for many of it's modifications - like the single master cyl, wood dashboard and a few other questionable items). Gary, however did take the car to Bob Stevens in 1970-71 to have a major rework of the drive train. Basically if you took 80% of what you see in the original Hot To Hotrod and Modify you 510/610/240Z Engine and Chassis bible - you'll get my car. In 1971 it was build with parts including the following factory Datsun Competition Parts for the L-16: Duel 40mm Solex/Mikuni carbs on Comp. manifold, SSS head, with roadster intake valves, SSS cam, SSS distributor internals with single point conversion, fully counterweighted comp crank with 6-Bolt flywheel and comp rods, Venolia forged pistons with full floating pins, small diameter comp front pulley, under drive pulley for water pump. Behind this is a Datsun Roadster gearbox with an intermediate ratio gear set, an early 240Z transmission bell housing (to mate it to the L-series block), followed by an ultra rare R190 LSD with 4:44 gears. To stop all this.. stock brakes with 240Z rear aluminum drums - SCARY!!
The Chassis has a host of other Datsun Comp goodies. Starting at the front, the inner transverse links were mono balled, the T/C rods were relocated 1.25 inches upwards and now comprise of MG tie rod ends for the swivel action, the steering links were heated, bent and re-heat treated to correct bump steer (don't do this at home, you don't have the expertise!!), unknown small diameter springs using unknown strut inserts, steel camber plates, heim jointed outer tie rod ends, and a Mac Tilton sway bar that mounts below the control arms with heim-jointed end links. The rear suspension comprises of new control arm mounting brackets that are slotted for camber and toe adjustments, and uses Bilstien shocks.
The interior had (note the word HAD) a custom dash, wood, comprising of Stewart Warner Night Flyer series gauges. None of the gauges stood the test of time, and neither did the wood dash, so it all got tosses in favor of a ‘68 dash using a 1969 SSS coupe dash insert-instrument cluster (acquired while traveling in Australia 6 years ago). I tried to keep it need and simple, but I did add Stewart Warner Oil pressure and Water temp gauges because I just don't trust the stock units, and the Autometer ones are just a little to flash for my liking. The interior had that ultra cool 70's spackle paint everywhere, and didn't originally come with even a back seat.
The Body is a fairly cleanly BRE flared 2 door - no other serious mods to speak of with the exception of the updated side marker lights, the spare tire well removed, and the relocation of the battery to the trunk. It runs on 13*7 original American Racing Libre wheels and even came with 4 235/5013 BFG Goodrocks – I kept them on the shelf for obvious reasons!

There you have it - my car, with the exception of the cool L-16. It didn't come with the car; it was actually sold about a year before I took possession of the car. I know where it is, and I hope it's safe; maybe one day I can re-unite that original motor with the car. By the way, the car has been running around with a LZ 2.2 – nothing trick, all stock bits but I did get the original carburetion set up, that was a bonus. So there it sits. And here are the first photos of the disassembly. Sorry about the lenght of this post - eek, got a little carried away!
Attachments
Engine will come out first thing in the morning...
Engine will come out first thing in the morning...
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Wow Byron,your 510 has lots of history and lots of goodies too say the least.Suspention sound super(aside from the brakes) :D .If the Bob you are talking about is the same fellow I knew,he went on to work at Toyo motors in Richmond.Or maybe it was Toyo motos you where thinking of,I dont seem to recall a yamamoto motors.I use to go there for parts every now and again.The Bob at Toyo was all ways talking about thier past 510`s.They had alot of photos in the shop,plus it was the first time I saw an F.I.A.haed up close.Boy did I want on of those !!!The fellow that built my first motor(Terry Black) use to be with Nuron Racing,and then Northwest racing.He use to take my buddy and I up to Westwood as part of thier pit team.Me at that time being pretty green around a car (ha.. still am)had me checking tire temp and pressure,and keeping the windows clean:)It was pretty cool just being there. There are a few photos(not very clear) of a coulpe of the 510`s we tended to at westwood in the gallery under "old photos and ads". Well keep us posted(as I`m sure you will) on the progress of your 510,and thanks for the low down on your car.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Greg, it probably was Toyo motors. All the info I got with the car was second hand (third hand??), but the car does have some cool history, and the fact that it was built to it's current condition when it was a new car is pretty cool as well. It may sound a little boy racer'ish, but I plan to paint the car just like the #46BRE car minus the numbers and decals, and I've even tossed the idea around of putting a cage in it. We'll have to see what time permits, but this car is worthy of being a BRE replica car and it would be pretty cool to one day vintage race it. Greg, is this Bob Stevens still around? I’ve heard that Toyo Motors is still there in Richmond-are those guys still there?
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, it is Toyo motors. I delt with Bob in the years before I met Andy.
I think Bob is still working there. I know his son does now. I was in there last year just to say hi. I have a couple of pictures of Bob's car in Portland. I too also saw that FIA head.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

wow Byron, I can't believe that anything has kept you from goind ballistic on this car, I say with newbie enthusiasm, It is like my dream car to own a true old-school mod car. you might see from my gallery that this is up my alley of interests. When and if my car ever gets finished, I want it to in every way possible look and drive like it was built in the early '70's. I think you should set up a gallery, safe from all the thread stealers, :lol:
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
Byron510

was busy today

Post by Byron510 »

Well, most of the car came apart today - progress was good, and I did find a couple surprises. The car was obviously home to a few rodents for a while - I found nests in the headliner as well in the rear quarters just ahead of the wheels. Luckily I did not find to many badly rusted areas though. One place that did pop up was around the rear trunk lid seal; the other was a small hole the size of a pen beside the fuse box. Here are a few pics.
Attachments
My only real rust surprise
My only real rust surprise
nice mouse nest in the quarter panel - and to think I've been driving this nest around for a couple years - hope the mouse liked G forces in all directions!!
nice mouse nest in the quarter panel - and to think I've been driving this nest around for a couple years - hope the mouse liked G forces in all directions!!
There was enough gavel in the headliner to pave a small driveway - anybody tell me why mice need gravel??
There was enough gavel in the headliner to pave a small driveway - anybody tell me why mice need gravel??
Byron510

some more photo's of how it looks tonight

Post by Byron510 »

More photo's...
Attachments
Only the front and rear sub-frames are left on the chassis.
Only the front and rear sub-frames are left on the chassis.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So all was good news today. But next weekend there probably won't be much paint left on the car. It will need to be stripped right back to metal, as the paint is bubbling in spots - who knows what's under there. Thanks for your enthusiasm Dynobones. I have to admit that having a car with history has a good feeling. I'd like to take it back to Bob and Gary one day, and show them their old car - that would give me great pleasure. But first the hard part - getting it done!! I did want to make sure I had all the resources available to finish the job in a timely manor - see above for all the excuses.
I was amazed that I was able to get the windshield out of the car in one piece. It had a huge bulls eye in it, but I didn't even crack it. Not sure why I wanted to save the glass, but I did. I will need a new windshield though. I'm thinking of gluing in the new windows, front and rear and see how it works out. I'm sure someone's done it before. Next weekend I will probably remove the sub-frames. More pics to follow.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

SWEET BYRON! Looks like you're moving along very nicely!
Keep us updated!

You should try and setup a gallery as per this post: index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=441

If you have any troubles give me a call!
Byron510

More progress...

Post by Byron510 »

The paint is off of most of the car now - the fenders come off tomorrow. There are a few soft spots that will need new panels. In front of both rear wheels will need quite a bit of work - mostly to fix the factory error of placing two sheet metal panels on top of one another! And the oddest rust spot I've ever seen. The drain from the center of the cowl vent, that comes out on top of the transmission, was hammered shut and filled! This of course caused a nice rust area that was unexpected, but the repair will be easy. I'll continue the theme of welding and filling all seam currently in the engine bay. Here are some pics...
Attachments
Car with out paint
Car with out paint
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, the last two weekends have been non-stop work on the 510; progress is coming along nicely. I'm hoping that I can have all the metal work done by next weekend, and then the bodywork and cage can be done. The cage isn't a big issue, a couple days at most as I don't plan a very intricate cage, a basic 6 point with a cross bar in the roof. I don't want to add any more weight than I need, but the plan is to get the cage certifies for road racing. It's not that I have any intent at the moment, but this car would make a great vintage racer given it's history. Maybe a couple solo I events or hill climbs could be in the future. Anyways, here are a few photos’ to show the progress.
Attachments
We'll start with the door - the donor cam from a 73, and as some may know, this was the first year with side impact standards - check out the chunk of Armco welded into the doors. This piece of woven and folded metal literally doubles the weight of a regu
We'll start with the door - the donor cam from a 73, and as some may know, this was the first year with side impact standards - check out the chunk of Armco welded into the doors. This piece of woven and folded metal literally doubles the weight of a regu
Here's my father holding the offensive piece after we removed it. The car will have a cage with sidebars, so this removal of a safety device doesn’t bother me at all.
Here's my father holding the offensive piece after we removed it. The car will have a cage with sidebars, so this removal of a safety device doesn’t bother me at all.
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

I didn't know that. Were the sixty nine doors trash?
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

More.....
Attachments
This panel needed replacing on both sides, I'm not much of a panel beater, my father did the one for the other side in a quarter the time, but I was proud of this one since I did it!
This panel needed replacing on both sides, I'm not much of a panel beater, my father did the one for the other side in a quarter the time, but I was proud of this one since I did it!
This one is cool, not only did we have a tin worm to deal with at the rear of the quarter, but someone had brazed a piece of metal over a rusty panel, but not removed the rusty panel from behind - kind of shady, so it all got cut out, and my father did a
This one is cool, not only did we have a tin worm to deal with at the rear of the quarter, but someone had brazed a piece of metal over a rusty panel, but not removed the rusty panel from behind - kind of shady, so it all got cut out, and my father did a