'72 Wagon: Bueiz

View and post your 510 project(s)
bueiz
Supporter

'72 Wagon: Bueiz

Post by bueiz »

I figured I'd start a project thread so here it goes....

As some of you may know my 1st 510 Wagon flooded during Katrina. Here I am starting a thread for my 2nd 510 Wagon. I bought this one completely original, but I'm not an original kind of guy.

You can find pics of both wagons and any happenings on my website here: http://deliberate-damage.com/datsun/datsun.html
Last edited by bueiz on 24 Aug 2016 09:18, edited 13 times in total.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Here I'm working on restoring the hood from the flooded wagon for the new wagon. After getting the new wagon I got into a bit of a fender bender thus the swap: CLICK - Restoring Hood
Last edited by bueiz on 01 Feb 2008 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
bueiz
Supporter

Restoring Katrina Steering Wheel.

Post by bueiz »

Here are some pics of my Steering Wheel restore. This Grant Steering Wheel was in the wagon that flooded during Katrina. You can see wear the wood split from soaking in raw sewage water for two months. I sanded it down and applied a quick coat of Polyurethane; I also added a little note to for a little extra touch. Attached to the steering wheel is the Grant Steering Wheel Hub Disconnect.

Attachments
p14765.jpg
p14765.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
Last edited by bueiz on 19 Jun 2012 12:14, edited 2 times in total.
bueiz
Supporter

RE: Restoring Katrina Steering Wheel.

Post by bueiz »

I have a 32/36 DGV and it's been cleaned and rebuilt; do I need to add any kind of gasket sealer/sealant when putting it back together?
hang_510
Supporter

RE: Restoring Katrina Steering Wheel.

Post by hang_510 »

no.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
bueiz
Supporter

Front Valence Removal & Replace

Post by bueiz »

How have some of you been re-attaching front valences after drilling out the spot welds for removal?
Byron510

RE: Front Valence Removal & Replace

Post by Byron510 »

I have bolted them back on by placing captive nuts on the reverse side. An M6 bolt tucked under the lip, and at each spot weld does go unseen. Since the valence panel is there only as a filler panel, it server no structural purpose, so welding it back in place is unnecessary. I did this on my green ’68 4dr.; no one ever noticed that the valence panel had been converted to a bolt on unit.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bueiz
Supporter

Exhaust Manifold Gasket...Sealer?

Post by bueiz »

When replacing the exhaust/intake manifold gasket do I need to use any type of sealer when reinstalling?
Byron510

RE: Exhaust Manifold Gasket...Sealer?

Post by Byron510 »

I actually use never seize, just so these parts will come off again easily! (and no, it never leaks)
No sealer is required - as long as both surfaces are clean and flat. RTV is for lazy people who don't like to completely clean off old gasket from the surfaces... Usually old bits left behind will eventually leak in that area anyways. Best to get it all clean.
Another common problem I've started to see is that the old exhaust manifolds are no longer flat, or are corroded and pitted on the gasket surface. Here again, no amounts of RTV, no mater what temperature it is, will seal this for long. Eventually it will leak again. Often the exhaust manifold needs to be planed at your local machine shop.
Just a couple hints, but you shouldn't need any RTV or other sealer if all the parts are in good condition.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have in the past use a bit of the copper spray on the exhaust only, after all, the intake is sucking, the exhaust is blowing.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

i've put a little grease on the intake manifold before bolting up, for the same reason as Byron - easy removable, and re-usability.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bueiz
Supporter

Re: Project '72 Goon: New Front Valence - GOING Detachable.

Post by bueiz »

I'm picking up a new front Valence today!! Got it from a Nissan Dealership about an hour away for $190 + gas to get there. :D

I'm going to make it removable with some ideas from Byron510. I'm replacing it after my little incident a while back: http://deliberate-damage.com/datsun/72wagonwreck/ it wasn't MAJOR damage (luckily), but I'm not body guy. I wish I know how to do to bodywork and I think I'll remove this one and the one from the Katrina-Wagon and learn a bit...straightening and painting. I'll post pics of the new valence once I have it.
Attachments
17.jpg
hang_510
Supporter

Re: Project '72 Goon: New Front Valence - GOING Removable.

Post by hang_510 »

did insuarnce cover the damage?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
bueiz
Supporter

Re: Project '72 Goon: New Front Valence - GOING Removable.

Post by bueiz »

Nah man...I wish. I only have liability on the Wagon. Here in New Orleans insurance companies eye gouge and skull "hump" the life out of people. Their excuse...uninsured motorists, total BS in my opinion. I was paying $35 a month for full coverage on the Katrina-Wagon when it was registered in Florida. Luckily I had just registered it in Louisiana when Katrina decided to make an appearance! :evil:
bueiz
Supporter

Re: '72 Wagon: As Blue as the Night is Bright.

Post by bueiz »

So I pulled my stock Brake Master Cylinder off yesterday b/c the brakes weren't working and I noticed some grunge at the bottom of the reservoirs. It's toast.

So I have a 5/16" replacement, but realized some differences, main one being that the push rod from the stock MC won't work with the 5/16" MC. Maybe it will? Any suggestions?

I can see that I'll have to re-run some brake lines to get them to match up to the 5/16" MC. Never done that before, but I'm sure it'll be super fun to do.