Bears and life on the coast

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
510Freak
Supporter

Bears and life on the coast

Post by 510Freak »

Well not too sure if some of you got a chance to read the last thread I started,
but anyhow,we had a Bear in our back yard,upon further diligence he has been back(raking the sand under our back deck) and keeping a vigil eye out,and talking to people here(as we just moved here a month ago)there are bears present here(port alberni)I have noticed dumpsters ripped apart,
We are alot more vigil about anything we do ,The people here are very helpfull,and nice,Just need to figure a way to get rid of these pesky bears,
:shock: :shock:
I have never been that close to one in my life(4 feet away about a week ago) :shock:
anyone have any tips on bear patrol :idea:
jason
Supporter

RE: Bears and life on the coast

Post by jason »

Dried Cayenne peper Lou? It's supposed to work for dogs until it rains..... Probably same thing goes for Bear spray too.
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Hi Jason,I have givin the pepper spray alot of thought, but as you say will disipate with the rain(seems to be summer this year)
Have also pondered hooking up big flood light on sensors hooked up to radios to at least alert us of there presence then I can Blast em with the Air horns we picked up
It did work the last time 8)
I like wildlife but not this close to me :shock:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

There is not much that will keep bears away. Basically keeping, the yard clean of garbage (no brainer), etc, don't feed them....
I carry bear spray, the BIG can, when ever I hike in bear territory. Some tests have said that other than the immediate effect on their eyes and nose., the residue can attrack them, or at least not put them off. All commercial bear sprays are NOT strong enough do do the job basically. They have only a very small percentage of CAPSAICIN, like 0.75%, hell, I put that on my Nachos!

I have often thought of making my own spray using some of the sauces available today. One in particular, called "DAVE'S INSANITY", is absolutley brutal, literally ONE drop in a sauce is almost too hot, and I mean hot. I have thought of making a good liquid emulsion with this, and then put that into a good quality spray bottle, one that can fire a good stream with a trigger pull. This would definatley render the eyes and nose into major stress level. We are VERY carefull with this stuff at home, as getting it in your eyes could be a trip to the hospital, and I'm not kidding. Make up a soulution with this, and if you could get a good hit on their eyes, that might give them the negative experience they need.

To give you and idea of how wimpy bear spray is, consider this, and it's NOT legal in Canada. Small, personal detterents available in the States, to stop muggers, etc, contains 5 % capsaicin...what's that all about?!? I have one of these, but, it is quite small and would not have the range required to deal with a close encounter with a bear.

You could try air horns, just to try to scare them suddenly, they might just go somewhere else more quiet.

My brother deals with this all the time, and just has to be vigilant. For the most part, the bears are well fed here, and really present no real threat, as long as cubs are not an issue.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Well our bear has been back a few times in the past week,Did not see it personally but signs of it,the neighbor did see it tho,
There was also one outside my work today :shock: The customers got a sight for sure
Now they are starting to post signs up and stuff,,to be a bit more bear aware
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Noticed the leaves are changing, cooler in the morning and darker sooner in the evening... sure signs that summer is starting to wind down. Just to the west of me up in Cumberland, the bears will start coming into town to get at the ripening apples and other fruit trees. All you can do is keep it picked up. Eventually that disappears and with colder weather they migrate up into the hills to den for the winter.

My work often takes me into the forest or fields and I do occasionally see a couple every year (none last year and none so far this, but it's still early) Years ago while working near a subdivision north of Campbell River a mother and three (yes three) cubs blundered into the area and all the dog barking sent them up a tree. The mother went up just over half way and her continued grunts scared the first two cubs up into the smaller branches. The littlest one, the runt, made it about a third up and was so tired from the effort he wedged himself in a crotch and amid the dog barking, fell asleep.

A wildlife officer came and examined them all with binoculars and assured everyone that if they were left alone, that at about one in the morning while everyone was sleeping, the mother would bring the cubs down and move on. I worked the rest of that afternoon with four bears just fifty feet over my head.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rehs

Re: RE: Bears and life on the coast

Post by Rehs »

bertvorgon wrote: I have often thought of making my own spray using some of the sauces available today. One in particular, called "DAVE'S INSANITY", is absolutley brutal, literally ONE drop in a sauce is almost too hot, and I mean hot.
OH! That stuff rocks! I bought that stuff when it first came out. Unfortunately, around 9-10 years ago, they changed their recipe and the stuff they used to sell is now NLA. It was hotter than their Ultimate gourmet sauce. Gotta love what they say on the label too. Good for stews and sauces, also good for stripping wax off hardwood floors and cleaning off grease stains on the driveway... Or something like that.
I make a mean BBQ chicken with that stuff... A teaspoon of Dave's, couple tablespoons of Matouks Calypso sauce, couple tablespoons of homemade Trinidadian scotch bonnet hotsauce, couple tablespoons of chilli paste, in to a dark soy, garlic and sugar 2 day marinate and another couple drops of Dave's and a tablespoon of Matouks in to the Bullseye sauce! Mmmm... Even the bones are spicy! Dang, I gotta make me up a batch of that soon.

So, are you saying you should pre-marinate the bears with Dave's before BBQ Bear? Oh! Spicy Bear... Mmmm...

There's a lot of hotter ones out on the market these days. Dave's is only rated in the 200,000 scoville range. Check out some of the Blair's hot sauces or DaBomb which are rated between 1,000,000-16,000,000 scoville. Some of them claim pure capsaicin crystals! CRAZY
510rob

RE: Re: RE: Bears and life on the coast

Post by 510rob »

why don't you just spray your dinner with pepper spray or mace?!?
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

animals in general stay away from amonia. spray your garbage cans, bags and anyplace else you'd like the bears to stay away from.
1972 Yellow 4dr
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

test pic
a Bus on the gravel road to Bamfield(today,was a bit of a shocker)
Trying to posts some pics of bear(s) In the downtown area(resize issues) :roll:
Attachments
Busy 007 (Medium).jpg
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Another test (first one worked)
Attachments
Busy 017 (Large).jpg
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Well seems to work try another
Attachments
Busy 020 (Medium).jpg
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Well, they sure look bigger than my dog Lou!
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

:wink: a bit bigger than mine too Jason :shock:
This one was just strolling along not a care in the world,In a period of 5 minutes a couple boats went by
and directly behind me is the main corridor in Port(johnson)
this is the connecter to highway 4 to Tofino,So busy
you can go here(the victoria quay,at any time of day and watch the bears,we found this out recently,and last night we went there ,hmm a bear,and today 3:00 pm hmm a couple, 8)
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yah know, if you where the size of those things, you'd feel like you where at the top of the food chain too..... Who needs to skulk around :D !
Jason