General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
hillbillyhector

Post by hillbillyhector »

oh... and it helps if you have no leaf springs
Attachments
battbox2.jpg
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

A spare is more important for me than relocating a battery for just looks alone.
Plus I think wiring is much easier to do when the battery is up front.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

I've been thinking about this quite a bit also. When I first got my wagon the battery was bolted in the cargo area ... ick!!! It's back up front right now.

I started looking at the Hawker batteries and was intriqued to find a very skinny one. Only 3.11 inches wide and it only weighs 15 lbs!!

http://www.batterystore.com/Hawker/Hawk ... iQodFhOrAw

I am looking to put it in the left rear side panel area. When I measured the clearance I came up with between 3 1/2 and 4" approximately. I'm thinking that with a simple hold down bracket the battery could be hidden very easily. The safe routing of the positive cable could be a little interesting though.

Even though these batteries are listed as applicable for automotive use I am a little concerned about how well the will actually work.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

vgwagon wrote:A spare is more important for me than relocating a battery for just looks alone.
I couldn't agree more.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

DryHeat wrote:I am looking to put it in the left rear side panel area. When I measured the clearance I came up with between 3 1/2 and 4" approximately. I'm thinking that with a simple hold down bracket the battery could be hidden very easily. The safe routing of the positive cable could be a little interesting though.
you can see that space in HBH shot - battbox1.
that was plan A for me

plan B=since im likely removing the back seat that space would work well, other side could hold a tool box. all hidden :D

i need to keep the spare too and itll be a while before i can replace the leafs :evil:

i cant remember exactly who had issues, but when i used to sell those cyclon batteries, they didnt have that capacity youd want for use in a DD vehicle.
sealed gel cells would work better
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

How about just behind the wheel well, partially into the quarter panel?
I'm your huckleberry.
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

Brian ... sorry about that last link ... I should have looked a little closer before I posted it ... try this link ... I hate frames based sites ... so 90's!!!!

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applica ... rcraft.htm

What I found most interesting was the description - "Drycell design for mounting in any orientation and fully aerobatic use" - could be useful here in Phoenix as there are cars going airborn here every day.

Matt ... I was looking at the area just behind the wheel well. I think that if you really really want to hide the battery and keep the rest of the car fairly stock ... this is about the only place.

This battery would fit but I too question the reliability/durability of dry cell batteries. My fear would be that it would fail and there would be no aircraft repair stores open so I could get a replacement.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

^you could just bungee cord it to the roof rack :lol:
other than size, anything would get you off the road.

i would hate to be in a plane that had a battery fail :shock:

it looks like NAPA can get them. ive seen em at my local shop.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

hang_510 wrote:i would hate to be in a plane that had a battery fail :shock:
Airplane batteries aren't much different than car batteries - primarily used for starting. Once you're up and running, the alternator or generator keeps you going. A poorly maintained NiCad battery in the throws of thermal runaway can get messy (extremely rare occurance) - engine failure would have me a little more concerned, but I digress.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
68 Wagon

Re: wagon battery relocation

Post by 68 Wagon »

I have a PC680 in my VG30e 4 door. Mounted right where the battery usually goes. 15 lbs. instead of 35-45lbs. Never had a problem as the car starts instantly. Have taken it out and put it in my 70 Roadster which has the SU's and does not start as quickly but it works and no outgassing to worry about either. The military uses this type of battery for their Hum vees I understand.

I was thinking of a regular battery in the trunk on the passenger side but you are still lugging around an additional 30 lbs. or so. Why?

In all the years I've owned Datsuns the regular lead acid battery has always outgassed and leaked a little. When I picked up the VG and it had the PC680 in it I totally changed my mind about dry cell batteries.

Just my 2 cents
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

68 Wagon wrote: Why?
170 CCA

The Optimas I run are 700+CCA, bigger reserve, take more abuse, sit on the shelf for a year and still turn over the car after you're done with the swap.

Different strokes. If the light/lightweight battery works for you, it's definitely less mass. DQ had a piece on wagon battery relocating:

DQ Volume 9 Issue 1 - Tech How-To: Battery Relocation - If you want to relocate the battery in a wagon, you’ll need to find a place to put it. Dan Heil shows you two likely spots.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I just cranked my car over after sitting for 13 1/2 months. I was expecting to have to jump it, but the Optima said "No".