L20b value?

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
STP

L20b value?

Post by STP »

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine who owns a shop has a completely rebuilt 0 mile L20b longblock engine sitting in the corner under a cover. He says it's been there for like 25 years and he's thinking about selling it.

I'm pretty sure it's completely stock. What do you suppose something like that is worth?

Sorry if this is a noob question but, if the shoe fits...

Any info you could provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Sean
defdes
Supporter

Re: L20b value?

Post by defdes »

Completely rebuilt 25 years ago? Not much.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

It's a matter of risk management. Sitting 25 years, memory can get fuzzy, what was done or not, is the build reliable, is it viable? I think there's no reason it wouldn't be in great shape from sitting under cover but your friend should not expect to get his money out of it with out some sort guarantee. It was probably built for a client who walked away from it. I rebuilt an L20B about 25 years ago (rings, all bearings, gaskets, valve seals) for under $100. A garage would be cheaper for their parts I would think.

For sitting this long in the way it doesn't owe him anything. Offer to take off his hands for $75 and don't go over $100.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
STP

Post by STP »

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes!
STP

Post by STP »

Here's a picture I took a couple days ago.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

That's not a L20b, that's a U20 from a 67-70 datsun 2000 roadster. Different engine altogether. Where are you located, I might be interested if you're not.
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

HA-ha I should have checked in this morning. Just saw the picture of the 'L20B'. Don't tell your friend it's not an L20B.

Got a 200mm clutch and f/w on it???
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
STP

Post by STP »

I don't think he does. What's this engine worth realistically?
STP

Post by STP »

It's in the East bay (SF)
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

It's a U20 so it's relatively uncommon to have. The parts *can* be worth some money to the right person, however, in this circumstance you'd have to go through the engine and probably re gasket it. For example the main rear seal is made out of a fibre like rope material, that'll be no good I'd think after all this time. Nice engine though.... It's incomplete so it's no good without a bunch more stuff, perhaps $300-$400 as a core anyhow...
Jason