The L Series Header List

TranzAm

The L Series Header List

Post by TranzAm »

Ok after hours or research using the search function on this site, I have yet to come across a variety of header choices for the L series motors. So far I have come across the Dave Turner motor sports short tube header or Classic Datsun motor sports ceramic version of the same Trimill header.
What Im trying to do is compile a list of various headers and there features (good or bad).
I know that the stock y type manifold flows very well with a stock motor, I also know that its not at all light.
Im also concerned with how well a header will flow. I have read that some after market headers actually perform less than the stock manifold, this is a huge concern.
So could we put together a detailed list of options for future searchers? whats your motor size? What type of header are you running? If your running a L16, are you running the stock manifold?
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: The L series header list

Post by datzenmike »

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

You can't beat this manifold with a stick. It's only possible downside is it's weight, you can't brag about it's expense and it isn't shiny. But it:

Fits stock pipes no cutting.
Is QUIET!!
Never rusts out but may get rusty.
Is QUIET!
Equals a header's performance
Is QUIET !
Bolts don't come loose or leak.
Did I mention it's quiet?
Fits without mods or moving motor or suspension and mates perfectly to the factory head and intake manifold.
Lasts longer than six months.
Does not claim to produce 15 more hp and then not do it..
Tough decision.
Last edited by datzenmike on 22 Mar 2008 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
defdes
Supporter

Re: The L Series Header List

Post by defdes »

On my race l16 i run NISMO long tube header, on my LZ 2.2 I ran one of the shorty headers you mentioned above.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i have a thorley??? 4-2-1 ni-chrome(SS) header. (from a JY 720)
will fit in the LZ22 wagon, w/mods to the collector (floor?)

i have the stock (N69 cast) on the LZ24.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

I have used a Thorley header on my L20. Nice header, hangs down a bit low though. I did come across a problem when installing it, the header came in contact with my 5 speed bellhousing, Had to notch the edge of the bell out 1/2". Lets keep this list going :)
djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus »

I have no idea what kind of header this is, mass produced or one-off, but I like the way it looks. Big old 4-1 :D

It's on my L20B with a W53 (?) head (round ports). Dunno how well it flows or anything, but when the car's running and I can get some exhaust piping made up, guess I'll be able to find out then.

Pros: Looks cool. W/out an exhaust it sounds awesome :D

Cons: Had to 'massage' it where it hit the tranny and where it rubbed against the driver side footwell.
After a lil massaging it fit like a charm.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

wow now thats a header! 4-1 impressive!How thick is the flange?

djlotus wrote:I have no idea what kind of header this is, mass produced or one-off, but I like the way it looks. Big old 4-1 :D

It's on my L20B with a W53 (?) head (round ports). Dunno how well it flows or anything, but when the car's running and I can get some exhaust piping made up, guess I'll be able to find out then.

Pros: Looks cool. W/out an exhaust it sounds awesome :D

Cons: Had to 'massage' it where it hit the tranny and where it rubbed against the driver side footwell.
After a lil massaging it fit like a charm.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You can't beat the quality of the Nissan Comp (NISMO) header if you are going to use any header at all. This comp header is the only header that I'm aware of that has 1 5/8" primary's - all others that I've seen use 1 1/2". (I’m sure some one else makes one – I just haven’t seen and verified it yet)

But what do you plan to do with your car?
Mike is right, is a way, about the stock manifold. There are three choices in this department that came on our 510’s - all are excellent choices for street cars running L motors that won't see much above 5500 RPM (daily??!!), but the best one is a 70-71 that has two individual runners out of the manifold into the Y pipe (some had a common chamber at this point, but there’s no way to tell unless you unbolt the Y pipe and take a look inside). The stock manifold does choke things down above 5000 RPM - it simply has trouble flowing and becomes a restriction. However, most people would never regularly see this RPM range on street driving, and the stock manifold does have many advantages as Mike pointed out - and I do agree with him.

Having said that: I do run a Nissan Comp header like defdes on my own car, (and I do use the car in the 6000 RPM range regularly which is why I chose this header in the first place) and I have not had any problems with leaking or cracking. Since my header was installed on a LZ22, I had to do both a bit of tweaking to the header and massage the floor. If you are using the Nissan Comp header with an L16/L18, then no mods are necessary. So taking your engine into consideration may have an effect on your decision.

Transam, what do you plan to do with your motor and what/where do you plan to use your car? I guess this is the real question that will answer you dilemma.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

I am trying to find A header that I can use on my L16. Its going to be auto crossed, road raced and driven on the street. I have no problem with how loud it will be as long as its going to give me that free flow. Right now the motor is fitted with a weber and a really old looking header thats got cracks and leaks everywhere! I can rev this motor to 6 and still make power. I have not torn the head off yet, so I have no idea if the head is closed chambered or not. its the 210 casting. Im curently running the stock 4 speed until I get the 5 speed transmission cross member from Carter (experimental engendering), I will be dropping in a 78 truck 5 speed at that point.
My plans for this motor are to locate an sss head or closed chamber head and run the new L20 cam I have been sitting on for years. I have many intakes off my old L20's. Not sure witch one to use but I know that there is one that has some sort of s curve to it thats sought after.
So basically I want this motor to make as much as I can get out of it. I want a header that will last. Right now I just hate coming home smelling like a smog tech.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

TranzAm wrote: I want a header that will last.

The words 'header' and 'last' are mutually exclusive and rarely show up in the same sentence.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

datzenmike wrote:

The words 'header' and 'last' are mutually exclusive and rarely show up in the same sentence.
Haha, guess thats pretty true, I mean how long should a header last?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

TranzAm wrote:
datzenmike wrote:

Haha, guess thats pretty true, I mean how long should a header last?
can you weld? access to a welder? vibrations tend to cause the welds to crack.

if you were closer, i have a L16/L18 Nissan Comp header for sale.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I can't comment on longevity from a personal stand point as my header has only been in action for a whole 80 hours. However, there are a couple club members around here who have 10 years on their cars (and comp headers), so as far as the comp header goes, I think they do alright.
However, if you are only running a DGV or single side draft, then you probably don't require the flow given by a comp header, regardless of the RPM. Generally you match intakes and exhaust. If you plan on running twin carbs, then I can see the need for a matching exhaust, but in the case of a single carb, it's unlikely that you'll need the expense of a comp header. If you don't plan on changing your induction system in the future, you might be better off buying a cheaper header and having it jet coated for the same price as a comp header. Just a thought.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

Yea richard I would be interested in that .lol

So sounds like the primaries are too big for that single carb then. hmmm. a duel set would be nice :). This leads me to wonder what would be the optimal primary size for a single carb then?
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

here is my Top END Performance/Dave Turner header made by Trimill.

I only suggest this header as it fits all L motor rigs Cars and Trucks(remember the torsion bars people so dont buy a CAR header) and to get rid of the later L20b Smogged up exhaust manifolds where you cant get the lower intake bolts w/o using long extensions.
this is a short header and only come in Squareport. Short header helps if you have a lowered car to route the exhaust better

I have heard mostly good fitting issues with these and one where it leaked.

they come with cheap ass pain and need to but Ceramic coated which adds another 100$ to the cost.

be honest the stock style L16 exaust manifold is great. Just where the Y pipe meets is on the same side. I wish someone made bigger Y pipes for the 510 exhaust manifolds. and just puy them. But TEP header is not overly priced.

But most HP gains with these Short Tube Headers are in ones MIND. Just my Honest Opinion here. Unless its a all out race car.

If you have a L20 truck withe the smog stuff, Yes I would get one for sure.
Attachments
chromexheader.JPG