The L Series Header List

TranzAm

Re: The L Series Header List

Post by TranzAm »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:here is my Top END Performance/Dave Turner header made by Trimill.

I only suggest this header as it fits all L motor rigs Cars and Trucks(remember the torsion bars people so dont buy a CAR header) and to get rid of the later L20b Smogged up exhaust manifolds where you cant get the lower intake bolts w/o using long extensions.
this is a short header and only come in Squareport. Short header helps if you have a lowered car to route the exhaust better

I have heard mostly good fitting issues with these and one where it leaked.

they come with cheap ass pain and need to but Ceramic coated which adds another 100$ to the cost.

be honest the stock style L16 exaust manifold is great. Just where the Y pipe meets is on the same side. I wish someone made bigger Y pipes for the 510 exhaust manifolds. and just puy them. But TEP header is not overly priced.

But most HP gains with these Short Tube Headers are in ones MIND. Just my Honest Opinion here. Unless its a all out race car.

If you have a L20 truck withe the smog stuff, Yes I would get one for sure.

I like the look of this one :) I wonder how long it will remain shinny. that thing almost looks like aluminum. is the one in the picture ceramic coated?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

TranzAm wrote:
I like the look of this one :) I wonder how long it will remain shinny. is the one in the picture ceramic coated?
Not long...and yes.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

be honest it will last a lont time cause I havent used it yet.

I guesss you get what you pay for but there is a higher temp coatings. I think this one goes up to 1000 deg but heard there was 1300 deg and different colors also. so maybe if you want a black or satin they make them color also.
Im sure there is a shop near you that can do this
http://www.performancecoatings.com/

but this is all up to you.
Some peole say the VHT spray can paint works goo d but I said Hell I wanna do this one time only and had it done when I had the cash.
right now it just looks good to post it on emails
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:right now it just looks good to post it on emails
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ive only used the VHT paint on a MC header and it only lasted ~1 year.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

hang_510 wrote:
banzai510(hainz) wrote:right now it just looks good to post it on emails
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ive only used the VHT paint on a MC header and it only lasted ~1 year.
sounds like that vht paint dont wok very well then :)
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

Also would a reducer off the above header help me current motor combination run better? I hear that reducing the exhaust size helps with eliminating tumble. And while we are on the topic how big of an exhaust is too big or too small?
banzai510(hainz)

Trans am

This is my opinion here and only that.
I would run a 2in pipe and muffler.

My beater 510 with Mikunis I havea stock manifold to stock Y pipe and run 1.75 in all the way to back then upsized to a 2 inch Dyanomax Ultra flow(stainless striaght thru design)

My 521 with weber DGV (stock L18) I run a 1.75 pipe to a 1.75 Dynomax Super Turbo(1.75 in NLA)

the Trimill header comes with a 1.75 reducer
as photod here
Attachments
HEADERSFORSALE024.jpg
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

Hey whats that rign looking thing in the middle of those 2 tubes?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

it is welded to the two tubes, partially for strength (i hope), and so you have something to attach the hot air hose for the carb.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
banzai510(hainz)

you can cut the heater tube access off if you want and poweder coat the header later
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:you can cut the heater tube access off if you want and poweder coat the header later
I actually think it looks good with the ring :)
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

hang_510 wrote:i have a thorley??? 4-2-1 ni-chrome(SS) header. (from a JY 720)
some pix of it
Attachments
header011.jpg
header010.jpg
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

How long are the primary pipes on the Trimill?
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

Here are some pics of a couple of the headers I have.
First is the BRE 4 piece that tucks up in the trans tunnel. This is one of the headers that is shown in How to book. Great for ground clearance but you need to pull the carbs and header to get the trans out of the car. The primary tubes are 1 5/8".

Next is the Nissan Comp header that we ran on an 1800 circle track car. Worked great.

And finally is the L20B comp header that I bought from Mike with the black Box Flared 510 with a Rebello 2300. He said that Rebello had it made by the same people that make the comp header but is 1/2" taller for the L20B block. The picture is next to the standard comp header.

Seth
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

nice pics! the BRE 4 piece looks interesting when installed how far does this hang down in comparison to the frame fails? Also do you have a link or number where I can find out more about this one?

datsun510 wrote:Here are some pics of a couple of the headers I have.
First is the BRE 4 piece that tucks up in the trans tunnel. This is one of the headers that is shown in How to book. Great for ground clearance but you need to pull the carbs and header to get the trans out of the car. The primary tubes are 1 5/8".

Next is the Nissan Comp header that we ran on an 1800 circle track car. Worked great.

And finally is the L20B comp header that I bought from Mike with the black Box Flared 510 with a Rebello 2300. He said that Rebello had it made by the same people that make the comp header but is 1/2" taller for the L20B block. The picture is next to the standard comp header.

Seth