Rear caliper brackets

jeffball610

Rear caliper brackets

Post by jeffball610 »

I know there are a couple places making rear caliper adapter brackets for Maxima/200SX rear calipers on the 510. I thought I saw somewhere on here a part# for the actual Nissan Maxima bracket. I'm just trying to find the best "deal" on parts and thought I would see if anyone had some resources for these brackets. I'm not looking to cheap out, just find a good deal on the right part. I already have Maxima rear calipers and need to mount them. I wrote down the part# that I thought was for the Maxima bracket as 44155504S10, but apparently that's not it. No Nissan online lookup seems to have a part# matching that. Anyone have a source or price on these. I might just buy a $60 cordless rotary tool and get this part at the yard if I can buy cutting it off a wrecked car. It won't cost the $150 or so I've heard aftermarket brackets are going for.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: Rear caliper brackets

Post by thisismatt »

I'm pretty sure I have those brackets from when I pulled some maxima calipers...actually I think I have 2 sets since I pulled 4 calipers. They won't bolt-on to the 510 arms, and even if they did they're the wrong offset to work with the 200sx rotors. If they're still worth something to you shoot me a reasonable price for the trouble of shippin em to you and I'll dig them out :P
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

That's good to know that they don't work properly. That way I don't waste time and money trying to get those things off. Anyone have evidence to confirm or refute this? I trust you, but it's always nice to have more evidence.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

The Maxima brackets are a direct bolt on to the 240z-260z-280z cars. The Z guys are always looking for them.

Put them up on eBay. They usually bring $75- $125 for a pair. I have seen them as low as $50 and as much as $150.

Sell, sell, sell!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

qwik510 wrote:The Maxima brackets are a direct bolt on to the 240z-260z-280z cars. The Z guys are always looking for them.

Put them up on eBay. They usually bring $75- $125 for a pair. I have seen them as low as $50 and as much as $150.

Sell, sell, sell!
Seriously? SWEET! I'll put them up!

Jeffball610 - I'll take some pictures to show, without a doubt, how they won't fit :P
I'm your huckleberry.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-77-Da ... dZViewItem

Boooooo! ;)

Bolt pattern is different:
Attachments
DSCF232104.jpg
DSCF232003.jpg
DSCF231902.jpg
I'm your huckleberry.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

...and the hole is too small...and the bracket is flat, whereas the brackets for 200sx/maxima calipers is offset.
Attachments
DSCF232401.jpg
DSCF232306.jpg
DSCF232205.jpg
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Looks like I'm going to pull some parts to sell then. Maybe I can make enough to pay for some brackets of my own. I found 3 87 Maximas yesterday. I think I could get all 3 sets for $100. And since I need a new Dremel anyway, I think I'll buy a cordless one. :D That should be enough to remove the rear brackets by cutting off one bolt hole and sliding it off instead of removing the whole rear wheel shaft hub.
1972 Datsun 510
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

jeffball610 wrote:Looks like I'm going to pull some parts to sell then. Maybe I can make enough to pay for some brackets of my own. I found 3 87 Maximas yesterday. I think I could get all 3 sets for $100. And since I need a new Dremel anyway, I think I'll buy a cordless one. :D That should be enough to remove the rear brackets by cutting off one bolt hole and sliding it off instead of removing the whole rear wheel shaft hub.
Did you miss my ebay link? A pair sold there yesterday for $36. Not exactly making any profit at 3 sets for $100 ;)
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Well, the Maxima brackets were pretty easy to remove. I just got one set to see if I could make them work for me. The yard just let me have them. Maybe they thought they were part of my other parts, but I won't complain about free. I got a set of caliper rebuild kits today too, so I'll see if it all comes together. (like it ever does) If I modify these to work, I'll post my progress. Now, how the hell do I get those rear spindles off the 510 arms? Anyone got a picture post on taking these things off? I like pictures. :D
1972 Datsun 510
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

To get the rear spindles out you must remove the half shaft, remove the big nut from the spindle, then get a big hammer and beat them out....I just put the nut on backwards and pounded mine out. sometimes they come out with a bearing still on them, sometimes they just come out clean....they are a PITA anyway....

I just picked up a pair of rear calipers and brackets from a nissan maxima, they are not offset at all.... I will try to fab up some sort of E-brake for my car.....not sure how I will do it yet, but hope that I can just use a single caliper for my e-brake.....
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

jeffball610 wrote:Well, the Maxima brackets were pretty easy to remove. I just got one set to see if I could make them work for me. The yard just let me have them. Maybe they thought they were part of my other parts, but I won't complain about free. I got a set of caliper rebuild kits today too, so I'll see if it all comes together. (like it ever does) If I modify these to work, I'll post my progress. Now, how the hell do I get those rear spindles off the 510 arms? Anyone got a picture post on taking these things off? I like pictures. :D
Getting the rear spindle nut off could quite possibly be the biggest PITA you'll ever encounter with your 510. If it's got the peened in edges you'll likely want to take a cutoff tool to them to free it up, then a fatty impact wrench will be your best friend. No way in hell could I get mine off with a breaker bar even after cutting the peened over metal off. I've heard people say they just drove them off with an impact without cutting the peened over nut lip, though. Either way, good luck.

Did you get the maxima rear calipers? Did you get a full rebuild kit or just the main seals? Just wondering, since it's a lot of work to do the full rebuild - it's like working on a wind-up wrist watch :| You'll need some extra long nose snap ring pliers (I used some long, skinny needle nose pliers with filed tips) to get out the inside snap rings that hold parts of the ebrake parts in. And if you do, make note of the way they came apart! I'd highly suggest pictures to remind yourself how they go back together! I pulled mine completely apart to replace all the seals and powdercoat them.
I'm your huckleberry.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Is there a benefit to the maxima brakes? I'm confused because the 200sx are already offset. I'm not sure why you would use the maxima ones....
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I'm using the Maxima stuff because it's accessible. I wish I had known about the 200SX stuff a while back because I could have gotten 2-3 sets of brackets from some junked out units in the yard. I'm just going to see if I can make it work. If not, I'm not out any money, just some time and energy.

I'm hoping to get the rear spindles out this weekend. Anyone have a part# for the new spindle nuts? They're 280ZX units right? I'll do some searching, but if someone has them on hand it would be great to post. I'll also see if the parts store has them. Or should I just go to the dealer or specialty store?
1972 Datsun 510