Hub ? how do I remove hub from rotor......

Track Junky
Supporter

Hub ? how do I remove hub from rotor......

Post by Track Junky »

Before I start whacking away at the hub I figured I would ask here first. 71' 510 sedan, front assy. So I have the dust cover, bearing lock nut,cotter pin, washer, outer bearing off the face side, and the grease seal, inner bearing from the inside, and the four bolts that hold the hub to the rotor off along with the brake assy. Now what, am I missing something here? or is it just pure brute force I'm missing. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Scott.
nbesheer

Re: Hub ? how do I remove hub from rotor......

Post by nbesheer »

I think what I did was put the lug bolts in a wheel/tire I had laing around and had someone stand or hold on to it while I wrenched away. But I also remember that I put lug nuts on the lug bolts and set the assembly in the vice and went that way. either way I remember them both working.
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

take off spindle nut and it should come right off.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Scott,

You're not missing anything. It's common for the hub to rust the rotor.
If you can re-install the 4 bolts that secure the rotor to the hub - leaving the screws out about 4 turns, place the entire ass upside down, (those bolts up) with the disc supported so the the hub is off the surface ( like in a vise). Now strike the bolts alternatively (criss - cross pattern). You'll push the hub out of the rotor this way.
Since you are in the snow belt. Chances are the hub and rotor rusted together pretty well over the years, not supprizing.
Hope that helps.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Cheers Byron, thought about that but didn't want to wreck the threads in anyway by beating on them. I will give it a go tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for the input.
Scott.
nbesheer

Post by nbesheer »

Oh, I guess I read the question wrong. If you are worried about the threads, just put a nut on them so you're hitting the nut, not the threads.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Got it off, thanks for the advise.

Scott.
iceD

Post by iceD »

Wow, this post has not been active since 2008. After an hour of beating on that thing, my second search turned up the answer to my dilemma. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap and then more taps and then freedom. You need about six inches of elevation to do this. That orange paint really hangs on.

ice D :!:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I remember replacing the rotors on my very first 510, and really beating on the things. It must have been 10 years before I needed to do it again, and it occurred to me to just strike the bolts themselves, it works like a charm.

Gland the archives on the Site do thief thing :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.