Fender Mirrors

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Fender Mirrors

Post by okayfine »

johnbureezu wrote:Oh and Goichi, no worries, I just found the mirrors after some hardcore surfing and katakana reading. Very expensive and rare I guess.
They went for about $165 on yahoo japan.
Are those actual fender mirrors? They don't appear offset in that picture. They also don't have the Nippon/Nissan spring-loaded mount system.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Are those actual fender mirrors? They don't appear offset in that picture. They also don't have the Nippon/Nissan spring-loaded mount system.
Yeah, i noticed that. The auction stated that they are fender mirrors. I guess they just dont mount up the same way as the OEM nissan pieces. Oh, and they're adjustable offset also. :wink: I'll see when I get them....Oh and I just realized that they're different colors. :oops: gunmetal and satin black. oops! Nothing a lil refurbishing won't take care of.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

johnbureezu wrote:Yeah, i noticed that. The auction stated that they are fender mirrors. I guess they just dont mount up the same way as the OEM nissan pieces. Oh, and they're adjustable offset also. :wink: I'll see when I get them....Oh and I just realized that they're different colors. :oops: gunmetal and satin black. oops! Nothing a lil refurbishing won't take care of.
Roger :mrgreen: The third good look showed where they adjust. Those will be NOICE :!:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gokiburix

Post by gokiburix »

Just to be absolutely certain before I tackle this task tomorrow, installing fender mirrors on a dime requires you to take off the fenders and drilling holes in the frame (where the fenders sit), right? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about....if not, I'll post a pic. My experience with fender mirror install is limited to S30 Z, so I'm hoping to learn A LOT more from you guys.

THANKS AGAIN!
-goki
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

no!

you take off the fender and drill holes in the fender, and attach it to the FENDER. re-attach fender.

the area i referred to on the frame rail is just for a reference, and later for adjustment. the indent (you'll notice it) if just for clearance.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115715
just like this, but with different dimensions. seems like you've done this before... gonna use a band aid again?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I think you could drill them on the car....I installed my new mirrors with the fenders on the car.....probably easier to drill with them on the car....don't have to worry about holding them and drilling them......ask SDterrible, he did it on his.....
gokiburix

Post by gokiburix »

I have the orginal Nissan fender mirrors that have the spring loaded base. I'm guessing that I have to drill a hole big enough thru the frame for the base to pass thru for clearance. Any of you guys do this?

As for the bandaid...I'll probably end up using the bandaid again temporarily until I get the door painted when all this is done with. HAHA didn't know my bandaid fix was known beyond that thread on hybridz.

-goki
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Have you read the previous posts? You DON'T drill into the frame! Just into the fender.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

OK, if you have the stock JDM mirrors, with the spring loaded base, you need to drill the holes just like I showed you in the instructions, no bigger, no smaller....the big plastic base with the metal plate goes in from the bottom, underside of fender top. no need to drill into the frame anywhere....the small hole is for the indexing pin, this keeps the mirror from turning on the fender once installed. once you drill the two holes, simply place the plastic trim base on the top of the fender, line it up in the holes you drilled and then place the mirror mounting bolt(the long one) down through the big hole and then from the underside place the base (big plastic thing with spring in it) up on to the long bolt and start the nut on the mounting bolt, then check that everything is lined up...ie indexing hole and pin, base, mirror and then tighten it down till the nut stops on the bolt.....that's how i installed mine, my fenders already have the holes, its a JDM car, but once you drill your fenders it will be exactly as mine installed....no difference. I would do it all on the car....and i did it with 17inch wheels on the car....wasn't hard at all. When its all tightened down, they should flex outward a little,, that's the design....kinda like break-away....but they should be fairly tight on the base.
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I am about to go and drill my fenders for the JDM mirrors........I have been putting this off for awhile now.....should I.....ummm ??? :|
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

if your car is painted you might put down a piece of green body shop masking tape to do your markings on, and it will help with not chipping the paint when you drill. drill your first hole alot smaller than your intended finish hole size, again it will help with paint chipping, sorry if anyone has already mentioned these tips. i too will be doing my jdm fender mirrors very soon, thanks for the marking points goichi1.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

goichi1 wrote:there should be instructions on here somewhere, I made them for another member....I'll try to find them....modeled off my coupe....
...got them....here you go!! enjoy
http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/downl ... &mode=view
O.K. what the heck is going on here.....if you measure his fender on the screen it shows it be wider than 2.25 inches and it is not to scale. My fender is only 2 icnhes wide at the top.

When I transcribe the measurements onto my fender I only have a .25 inch of fender left from the edge of the large hole.

It's not adding up here ? Use the file in the quote above to see what I am talking about.
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I used his picture as a guide. The 1.25 inch to center of hole from the edge of fender worked out. The distance from center hole to center hole is 1 inch as described in the pic. The 10.5 inch hole is not exactly as the pic shows. It is close......you have to use the rectangular hole in the pic as a guide like he mentioned. The width of his fender must be wider than a american style 510 fender....if you look at the hole in his fender there is more than a 1/4 from the outside fender to edge of large hole. Mine is very close to the outside edge of fender in comparison.

It worked out good. I am centered on the recessed area on the inner upper frame rail.

SharmCos

Post by SharmCos »

johnbureezu wrote:Speaking of fender mirrors...Anyone know where I can score a set of these? I believe that they're napoleon GT.
Ahh Napoleon GT! I was lucky to buy a set cheaply from Japan (with the help of a friend studying there) but then made a mistake of selling it so cheaply! The pair were in very good condition indeed. A few days ago, I found a pair locally. This pair is called GP Napoleon but I don't see any difference compared to the GT version..Had offers for over US$110 from them so far but I'm not selling :mrgreen:

These Napoleon mirrors do turn up at Yahoo Auction Japan regularly but there are many bidders! If you look hard enough i.e. spending hours a day browsing the Yahoo website you'll find bargains. I do spend times at night browsing the site and if you want and know how to buy from Yahoo Japan, I'll PM you the links when I found them.

Cheers
SharmCos

Post by SharmCos »

Finally decide to sell the Napoleon mirrors since I have a pair of JDM fender mirrors to replace them with. JDM mirrors are very rare over here but I am discovering quite a few pairs of Napoleon mirrors. So I'm using the rarer mirrors on my Datto. The Napoleon GP mirrors are on eBay :wink: