Whitebird

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Whitebird

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Stock. Or make a nice pretty one to match the intake mani!
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hadn't thought about making one...

Note to self: Prime the SR's oil passages before you install the engine into the car. In a 510, you can't get to the oil pressure sensor port from above, and you have to pull the starter to get to it from underneath.

Coolant filled. Engine primed, oil filled, new filter. Tach hooked up. I could try to start it right now, but I know the exhaust hits, and the car is up on stands at the moment, so it would make sense to deal with the interference instead of getting ahead of myself. At this point I just hope it runs, I'm currently not all that excited about it. I think it might be time for a new project.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Why do you need to prime the oil? it was out of a running car right? Shouldn't need that. I know all too well about not being too excited about a project, but it seems like it comes and goes. Once you start driving it again it will be fun again.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The engine sat for 12+ years, and it came to me long drained of oil. IME Nissan engines that have sat drained, or been upside down, etc., have a hard time priming themselves. True, if it had been a transplant out of a runner, I wouldn't have bothered, but there was no oil in this one. 1.5 quarts went in before I heard it come out of the cam lobes.

As an aside, I can spin an L-series oil cap onto the SR valve cover, but I can't put that SR oil cap onto the L-series valve cover. Weird.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qship510

Post by qship510 »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah. I actually want to take my cover down to bare aluminum and polish it up...but that factory powdercoat is on there, and I don't know if I can get it all off down in the spark plug valley.

I did this one on my old KA510:
Datsun_valve_cover_large.jpg
Datsun_valve_cover_large.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
qship510

Post by qship510 »

Factory powdercoat? Mine had no such powdercoat. Funny you're fretting about a 12 year dormant motor, I think the one in the picture has been unfired for ..... 19 or 20? Eh, it ain't a daily driver
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Manifold Coverup

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:
IMG_6092.jpg
Yeah, you can see the difference between the sanded letters and the slight olive color of the rest of the cover.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ended up making a new transmission mount to eliminate the exhaust interference. Should have it back on wheels by the end of the day (paint is drying on the trans mount).
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

[quote="okayfine"]Yeah. I actually want to take my cover down to bare aluminum and polish it up...but that factory powdercoat is on there, and I don't know if I can get it all off down in the spark plug valley.

I did this one on my old KA510:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Couldn't you take it to your local auto machine shop and have them dip it in the same solution they clean aluminum heads in or is there now a different method? You could always soda blast the bitch (if you have a blaster) then you can clean up with water and when successful you celebrate like this.

Lou "Julian don't you have a Staples "Easy" button?
Attachments
Bass n beer.jpg
Bass n beer.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lou, you know where I live. It's a couple cities one way or the other for me to find a place that could dip a valve cover to strip the PC.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

okayfine wrote:The engine sat for 12+ years, and it came to me long drained of oil. IME Nissan engines that have sat drained, or been upside down, etc., have a hard time priming themselves. True, if it had been a transplant out of a runner, I wouldn't have bothered, but there was no oil in this one. 1.5 quarts went in before I heard it come out of the cam lobes.

As an aside, I can spin an L-series oil cap onto the SR valve cover, but I can't put that SR oil cap onto the L-series valve cover. Weird.

Interesting so you pumped oil in through the oil pressure switch to prime the motor? What kinda pump did you use? I recently wired a S14 SR NA engine for a buddy, it was rebuild and wouldn't get oil pressure from priming the pump through the filter connection. I've never had issues on any other "dry" engines... I want to try this trick you speak of...
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
okayfine
Supporter

Oil Circuit Primer

Post by okayfine »

Here's the picture of what I'm using. It's essentially a pressurized bottle, probably similar to what you were using.

Oil goes in the bottle, 10psi pressure gets connected to the fitting with the black handle, oil goes out the clear tube with the green handle. Fitting at the end of the clear tube connects to the oil pressure sensor port (this fitting is actually 1/8NPT, but it's the same first 2-3 threads as 1/8BSP, and it works fine at 10psi).

So, fill the bottle, valve in the pressurized air, valve in the oil to the port. Takes 1-1.5 quarts, and I just listen for the gurgling through the valve cover oil filler.
IMG_6098.jpg
IMG_6098.jpg (170.35 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
510rob

Post by 510rob »

That's a good idea!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If I didn't have friends who knew things, where would I be?