Halfway home and stuck won't run! IT LIVES!

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Halfway home and stuck won't run! IT LIVES!

Post by bertvorgon »

My gearing is very short, so I am doing 3,800 rpm, in 5th gear, at 65 MPH. Oil weigh in PM I sent you, and I run the full race synthetic MOTUL 300V as the brand.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

The two bolts I need to tap are all on the exhaust manifold, counting from the fan towards the firewall I need to tap 2 and 4. I looked at my other head but I can't tell still do I need to be super careful not to go into the block or is there a lot of material at the bottom of these? We talked about the one on top for the valve cover which I haven't done yet (on 50 dollar tool at a time please) but I thought I'd double super check on this one. I was hoping to drill them without taking the head back off with a 90 degree drill but I'll go with recommendations.
Still to go in no particular order
Still running at 190 degrees so I need to get that figured.
Wipers - none of it's connected and between the two motors I have neither work
High Beams - i have the dime quarterly where they talk about the relay, going to try that
Clean up wiring
Mount temp gauge
Get oil pressure gauge
SECURELY mount my seats, they are in there, just not good.
Spray bomb a few of the pieces the PO missed with his spray bomb job to make it look a little more decent until paint someday.
Fix noisy exhaust it runs over a HUGE nut underneath. Looks like either seatbelt or seat mount. At lower RPMs it makes my car sound like its powered by 2 Rockem Sockem Robots
Fix heater/defroster. The cable is super tight, I hooked it all together this winter but when you try and turn down the temperature it always pulls loose.
I have a gas smell that I don't think is coming from the carb I THINK it's coming from the truck. The PO hot tanked and redid all the gas tank before I wonder if something is loose or not vented properly.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
James

Post by James »

I can't answer anything other than to offer a bit of advice on the gas smell.
Check all of the hoses in the trunk - the stock clamps with the two wires often make a cut in the hose which you can't see until you take the clamp off. It may only leak when filling the tank - or going around a corner.
Finished is better than perfect......
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Cool thanks James I'll take a peak. I was just out there a few minutes ago cleaning out the trunk. The hoses go into a black box inside the trunk sort of under the windshield, what's that?
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
James

Post by James »

That's an expansion tank. Check the filler hoses for sure....
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

I haven't gotten to drive it again yet but the bottom filler hose was wet with gas just a bit. I couldn't tell with my fingers so I went and got a kleenex and sure enough it was. I loosened, checked and then retightened everything. The bottom one to the actual tank was pretty loose.
I also opened up the headlight relay per dime quarterly and cleaned everything up. Still no high beams so I guess I'll order one of those. The wiring before that relay has all been cut and redone at some point. I actually have several relays I need to get the wiring diagram out and look at. Some are shorted on purpose, some are disconnected etc.
Also looked at my two wiper motors, the original is just plain toast as far as I can tell. The junkyard one is exactly the opposite wiring wise and the motor is on the opposite side as well. I'm brining home some wire clips and such tonight as I was out and I'll see if I can get that figured out.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

goatee wrote: Still no high beams so I guess I'll order one of those. The wiring before that relay has all been cut and redone at some point.
:evil: hacks :!:
i had my high beams bypassed and the person who did it connected the bypass to itself :roll:
i correctly wired it and high beams work!

before you go further be sure the HI/LO (turn siganl) switch on the column is functioning. there is a small copper arm that contacts and often is broken or corroded
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Cool thanks Byron I'll check. When I move the hi low back and forth I'm pretty sure I can hear the relay switching but it might be a click in the column hard to tell. How far in is the switch? I'll go take a peek.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

goatee wrote: How far in is the switch? I'll go take a peek.
you should be able to see it moving w/o removing anything. it pretty obvious when you move the lever.
itll click whether or not the electrical path is completed.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Byron? :?
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Brian, got em mixed up. :D
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

I should have taken a pic of the wiper motor but it is literally completel opposite, motor on the other side, same wiring harness but the wiring is backwards. I was going to jumper everything but I think I'll see if I can slide those contacts out so it will just couple and look better. Couple more pics since it's finally got some driving. Doesn't look too hideous but the sun/shade hides the imperfections and spray paint job and the fact that my panels don't line up. :lol:
Anyone know what wheels these are? Posted them on ratsun too. I'm guessing Z wheels of some kind.[

Crud need to shrink em a bit.

There better. Thanks again all for getting me on the road.
James

Post by James »

Glad you are running again and worrying about things like wiper motors, seatbelts etc.
What markings do the rims have on them? They look like a copy of a cromodora style rim.....
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Symbol sort of like JWJ (last j backwards) 5-Jx13 25
mb2 nissan 40300W6000
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Morning Scott, glad to see everything is working out! It's the little things now that you can tackle one at a time without huge downtime! Nice going!
Jason