aquired a car, need some starting points.

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
sherlok

aquired a car, need some starting points.

Post by sherlok »

:? I aquired a 1980 Datsun 510, 4dr, hatchback, with a 1981 SX200 rear end from my roommate. It has a dent in the bottom right-hand side of the hatch and its the original paintjob and its a little faded. The interior is kinda hacked and covered by seat covers, basically it runs and pretty much everything else could use a little work. I'm in need of some advice on sites and general starting points to restoring and actually trying to turn it into a swift little car. :twisted:
Byron510

Re: aquired a car, need some starting points.

Post by Byron510 »

I'd have to admit that this is a pretty broad post.
You may want to be a little more specific as to where you want to start, what you want to fix, change or upgrade.
Maybe post a few pics of your car, go from there.
Welcome to the 510 Realm.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
sherlok

Post by sherlok »

Thanks Byron, Sorry that was a pretty broad post. This is my first fixer car ever, so I am learning. Well I got it and it sat for a little while because I wasnt able to drive. Now I am starting with a tune up. I just replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs & cables, fuel filter, new battery term posts, battery, dist cap, oil change w/oil filter, washer pump motor, rotor, and i cleaned my k&m air filter(plus a few little safety things like new windshield wipers). It still wants to cut out on me a little when i idle.... i'll adjust that cuz im almost positive its the idle. Unless you fine gentlemen have some advice for that since i am a 510 newb and just guessing and i planned on trial and error with that one. So where i am looking for my first bit of advice from you guys will be with the steering(its pretty loose), and the clutch(i have to pump it for approx 2 or 3 minutes when i initially hop in, otherwise i wont be able to get it into reverse, here within the next 6 or so months i wont be able to ne ways... that makes it priority pretty much). Also if you guys know any normally troublesome parts on a 510 that it would be wise to replace, plz lemme in on it. Then after the initial fix i am going to strattle my finances and attention to a mix of motor and body. The hatch door has a dent in it and my buddy who does paintless dent repair couldnt get out, then again his tools arent really for that. I was thinking a couple beers, a vicoden, some good loud music and a rubber hammer. Well sorry i didnt respond in a timely fashion but there has been alot of stuff on my plate here recently with this economy and all. I had to take up a 2nd job just to enjoy my hobbies without driving myself insane with worry. So thanks for your patience, understanding, and help.

JakSIN
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

As for your clutch, you could have a slight leak in the system or old fluid. Start by bleeding the clutch line, and see where that gets you. If the car has been sitting a while, bleed the brakes too while you are at it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Find a copy of:

How to Keep Your Datsun L-Series-Z-Series Nissan Alive
Author: by Colim Messer
Publisher: John Muir Pubns
Publication date: June 1986
ISBN: 031764890X

This will guide you through all the mechanical systems of your car and help you repair them yourself (including adjusting the steering box and bleeding your clutch). You'll also want to have on hand a wiring diagram, either from the Nissan FSM or Haynes or the like.

Beyond that, you seem to already be on the right track with your tune-up.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson