electrical short? 69 510 with L20

69_dime

electrical short? 69 510 with L20

Post by 69_dime »

i cant even hook the battery up. i'll have the pos. cable hooked up, and when i try to hook up the neg. it just sparks like crazy. i dont know whats going on. any input is appreciated. thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: electrical short? 69 510 with L20

Post by okayfine »

Wiring diagram, test light, VOM meter. If you don't have those things you won't be able to fix anything.

Leave the NEG off the battery and pull one fuse from your fuse box. Then connect the test light to the NEG cable and touch it to the NEG terminal on the battery. If the test light doesn't light up, you found the circuit where your short is. If it lights, pull the next fuse. Repeat until you don't get a light. Then sit down with your wiring diagram and start looking at suspects.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Make sure you have the correct wires... i know, i know, but it happens. The positive cable will go to the starter, the neg to the engine block.

Try pulling the plug from the alternator and then the voltage regulator.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
69_dime

Post by 69_dime »

thanks, ill keep posted on results