VG30DETT help nedded

ozlo

VG30DETT help nedded

Post by ozlo »

Alright. To start off, I'm looking for a project/daily driver and i found a NON-running 510 with a VG30DETT swap professionally done. I asked what was needed to get it up and running and the seller said that it needs drive shaft and axle shortening,intake manifold,wiring for the standalone and a few other things. What I would want to know is if the axle+shaft installation would need any modification of some sort or would a just need to replace the orig. with newer, shorter ones. Also, I read that the air intake plenum on this engine creates fitment problems in the 510 (hits firewall).
I would like some opinions from you guys on whether or not this is a worthwhile investment.
Thanks,
Ozzy
okayfine
Supporter

Re: VG30DETT help nedded

Post by okayfine »

Pics, links to this car?

If this is the car I'm thinking of, it is the furthest thing from a worthwhile investment.

Edit: Is this the car?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1053839024.html
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ozlo wrote:Also, I read that the air intake plenum on this engine creates fitment problems in the 510 (hits firewall).
Wrong engine. 300Z intake plenum hits the firewall on the VG30E. VG30DETT is a totally different animal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ozlo

Post by ozlo »

Darn it. -_- that is the car. How much would that end up costing anyway?
He lowered it for me too.
I'm getting that desperate for a car...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That car is a complete POS. Any 510 that has the radiator support chopped to facilitate installation of an engine...well, that's the furthest thing from a "professional" installation job.

Budget? Wants, needs? You're obviously in or around central California.
ozlo

Post by ozlo »

So much for that.
I have a thread in the classifieds section. phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11431
I have a maximum of $5,000. looking for a daily driver
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ozlo wrote: How much would that end up costing anyway?
To get it running based on what the seller SAYS needs fixing, or to make the car right? If the former, D/S shortening is ~$150, dunno why the axles need to be shortened, and wiring what standalone? To make the car right: cubic dollars.

Keep in mind I installed the engine in my project car in April of '08 and it wasn't until a year later that I got done all the rest of the stuff that comes after that.
ozlo

Post by ozlo »

okayfine wrote:
dunno why the axles need to be shortened, and wiring what standalone?
Neither do I and I also don't know what he meant by that.
Bears510

Post by Bears510 »

Hey there!
Not sure if you bought that car or not as I noticed the craigslist posting was gone..but just a bit of info.
I have been researching doing the vg30de (non turbo) into a 510 and I am still researching. I might go a different way (ie, sr20det dropped off at okayfines house for the install...lol! j/k) but what I have come up with and since I have a complete running car at my disposal is there is ALOT of little things here and there that you need to make it run that most people don't consider when they pull the motor and trans for a swap. possibly more so than some other swaps. adding the TT to it just complicates things. I am not trying to talk you out of it, however, listen to okayfine as he KNOWS what he is talking about and has helped me quite a bit. Swaps are not cheap and another thing to consider is you are buying a car that someone else started the swap, so you not only have to finish it, but you have to figure out where they left off and pick it up from there and possibly redoing things. If you are not familiar with these engines, there are a ton of things that are missed and have to be traced back. I, due to my HOA here (god I hate those things) I have had to go ahead and pull everything out of the car so I can have the shell(literally) removed instead of keeping the car intact till I am ready for the swap. The motor, trans, ecu, ALL the necessary wiring (tons of it) fuel pump, fuel pump controller, relays, and so on and so on. I have managed to track down a very good wiring schematic with colors, locations and such and that has given me an idea of what the wiring is going to be like. Having done several swaps in the past on various cars, I would have to say this is going to be up there with the most labor intensive. again, not talking you out of it. just hoping you get a better idea of what it will be like. If you haven't bought this car then any chance you could have someone get to NH for you and pick up that AWESOME dime there? would TOTALLY be worth it. just my .000000002 cents worth... :D
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Bears510 wrote:adding the TT to it just complicates things. I am not trying to talk you out of it
i will. :mrgreen:
i talked myself out of it($100 complete motor too!) after reading all the work that was done to the ONE swap completed and running.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Bears510

Post by Bears510 »

lol....dream killer!!!! j/k
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Bears510 wrote:lol....dream killer!!!! j/k
:lol: reality bites...hard :twisted:
waking up in cold sweats is overated :o
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Bears510

Post by Bears510 »

hang_510 wrote:
Bears510 wrote:lol....dream killer!!!! j/k
:lol: reality bites...hard :twisted:
waking up in cold sweats is overated :o
That it is, that it is...I had "issues" like that when we tackled putting a viper v10 into a classic charger. Not a major biggie. But then to complicate things, the owner decided "why not swap the suspension while your at it"! :shock: people with too much money cause too many issues. we did it and vowed to never do it again! lol!