Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
gooned

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by gooned »

Great update!

I’ve regressed on posting pictures here as the other forum I frequent (my Toyota FJ55) is just drag n drop from pics folder...good on you for setting up an acct.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Update…..

Home from California on July 25th (I think), arrive to see in person for the first time the completed driveway. WOW. So happy with how it turned out!

Got after restoring the porch support post, moving river rock, got the shop garage door installed (STILL waiting for the 2 for the house garage- Stupid COVID), got the shop exterior painted, had gutters installed yesterday (house also- they were due), and will now plan out the landscaping. My wife has a sickness with bringing home plants all the time. I think I need to start stashing a couple in my car occasionally, and drop them off at random homes on my way to work. There are just too many, and I don’t want the whole yard to be landscaping that she won’t be able to maintain. I’ve only laid out sprinklers for 3 landscape areas, and I’m seeing her wanting 3 more…. Going to be unpopular with her over this.

And, like a broken record, I leave on the 1st for London to fix a 787 that got dropped on its nose at the gate. No passengers, but the maintenance crew pulled the gear handle during a functional test, and the nose landing gear pin was not installed correctly. Oooops. Thankfully no one was injured, but the plane took a beating. 45-60 days.

I’m going to see if I can get an inspection tomorrow, and sell the bldg permit. I can get the electrical done while the weather is crap, when I return, and when I do, I’ll get the tractor here and get the yard sorted/graded compacted/topsoiled, etc…. Although there is talk of a big repair in Moscow again, and I’m already on the list. Oh well. The yard isn’t going anywhere….

Took the RB swapped Z out for a quick walk yesterday. I forgot how fast that thing is…..

More as it happens. Hope to get back to our regularly scheduled programming someday.

Deepest condolences to those who lost friends and family over this pandemic, and especially to those we lost today. Inexcusable, and tragic.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Wow!! I just caught up on your thread, can't wait to see the pics of the new shop, must be a huge relief to get closer to having it done. I haven't been on here very much so I guess I need to start coming back to stay up to date in the Datsun world, mine are just sitting too, hopefully soon I can get back to them.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Greetings from London (well, Heathrow). Repair going normally…

Moscow departure pushed out till mid January… man, that’s gonna be COLD…. But that gives me time at home to knock out the task list.

I’ve noticed a reduction on parts being listed on CL…. Is offer up the new format to interact with private sellers? FB Marketplace?

Guys, I’m older (54), and need help keeping up with where this stuff happens. Please advise..

Someday we will return to what we all called normal. Someday……….
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Yep, unfortunately most things have gone to Facebook.

My father is in the same boat!!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Same here, at 71 it is so hard to keep up with changing technologies and social media stuff.

Hell, all I have is a flip phone, does the job for me in terms of what I need, yet, I get caught when someone does not know and tries to send pictures or other things that my phone does not "see".

I spend enough time on the Realm in a given day.....don't need nor want a dozen other medias to sidetrack me.

Left in the dust I guess.......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

I’m only just hitting the 5-0 this year but I can relate, I get son to navigate face crack marketplace because I don’t.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WOW...you guys were just kids when I first met you!!!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

bertvorgon wrote: 20 Sep 2021 19:24 WOW...you guys were just kids when I first met you!!!!!
Yup, lots of great memories 8)
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Well,I just checked on my first post to create this thread… 2009. I had this car for a while prior to posting…. Jeez. I’m going to pat myself on the back for rescuing this car out of a wet, tree shaded yard. It’s a story as old as time…. Life gets in the way, of every little project, of any type. Sometimes, the other types of projects are what get in the way….

I will update the flicker acct for pics, but there’s not much to show past what’s there. Once I get the interior going, I will share more.

Our love for these older cars is becoming what every other marque seems to experience…. Without the nostalgia to own and maintain them, they fade…

I will be bertvorgon, as long as I can. The old codger, keeping the nostalgia on the street, much to the disapproval of the greenies. I’m a fan of electric cars only because that means there will be more gas available for me….
Darryl Cavanaugh
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Given health does not blind side us, staying active and young is a state of mind. If you think you are old, you will be!

I still love strapping on the 510 and going for a blaze. I play video games, keeps the reflexes sharp and thinking. When we played Call of Duty, the young guys would not believe I was 65 ( and now 71).

I still love the waves and thumbs up as I drive the 510, our cars are still very cool.

And from my age perspective ( and retired) keeping your mind and hands busy is so important to mental and physical well being.

Keith Law
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

As a 54 year old man, these words ring more true than many can imagine… Thinking back, to when I was ‘young’….. I met a long time friend when I was still a kid pedaling a bicycle around my neighborhood. My neighborhood had alleys, and those were a safer, easier route to take to travel. Alleys had garages, and that was a window into a completely different view of people’s worlds. You could learn a lot. Was this guy a wrench? Or did he only use his ‘garage’ to park his car, and maintain yard equipment… My guy was different. He had local(neighborhood) cars he was working on, and as a mechanically inquisitive youth, I asked what he was doing. Well, as most guys would do, when a (small) kid wants to ‘help’ you LET him. Free grunt labor is free grunt labor….one of the very best educations I received… I thought it was fun. I truly believe he did, also, because in addition to putting out the work, I made him laugh.….. This is just ONE example of men who mentored a young kid, who loved everything that made cool noises, looked cool, or were FAST.

Bertvorgen, this could have easily been you.

STILL great friends with this 80+ year old friend today. Talk/chat/speak/share things with him, almost daily…… The education I’ve received from this friendship has a value that you can’t measure on a monetary level. He’s one of several adult males in my past that have made me who I’ve become. I’m not sure how to convey that to today’s kids. Does this still happen? Are kids still discovering that old dude, using his years of experience, to fix the cars of those who possess zero knowledge of how they operate? I have to believe they do not. If there’s not an app to a tick tock/YouTube video to watch, they’re not interested….. Horrified as to what this creates….

Once again, I’ll slide my soapbox into the corner (again), until things settle down….

Thanks for coming along on whatever kind of ride this was…
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I guess my point was that Bertvorgen is so right. That same friend of mine is still very active, now working on his new ‘neighbors’ equipment, except now he’s out in farm country, so its tractors/farm equipment, farm trucks, and the occasional personal vehicle. He gets around great. He’s told me many times ‘Ya gotta have a reason to get up and get moving’…… He knows if he goes still, he’ll be dead in a year.

It’s true- when I was a kid, a 54 year old man was OLD. I still feel (and act-ask my wife) like that 17 year old kid.

Agree with the thumbs up when I do get out in the RB swapped Z. Even my oldest son says the same thing when he takes it out.

I’m still in London, and tomorrow, I take a short side trip to Abu Dhabi to do another repair, and will return to Heathrow in a week….. I guess I’ll always have a reason to get up and get moving. I don’t know any other way…
Darryl Cavanaugh
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last post..promise....

Mentoring someone is a privilege, the best one being you're OWN kids!

I was very lucky when I was in my early 20's, with my 1972 Datsun Wagon, that a young fellow who lived in the apartment behind me, wandered over one day when washing my car out back. He was all of 12 then. Driving his dad back when dad could not, should not drive. 12!

As it turned out, his dad was a drinker.

I took him under my wing with the car thing, taking him to My beginning Solo career races at Boundary Bay, took him backpacking, camping, 4 x 4' ing and ultimately he ending up living with my wife and I the year before my daughter was born. There were times he could have gone"south" but, the values and positive nature of our relationship has made him a very fine person, a lifelong friend!

I try to go to bed every night with a "next day project", no matter how big or small.

Now back to our regular programming and I need to see some pictures of that nose wheel repair.......

Keith Law
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Good stuff here.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.