camber plate nuts

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: camber plate nuts

Post by okayfine »

ichorid wrote:the second I drove the car with ermish coilovers on the rear, I quickly need to go lower in the front. lowering springs and the 280zx length feel like they are bottoming out all the time.
You will have to shorten the strut to obtain more suspension travel with a car that is lowered. Coilovers, in and of themselves, have nothing to do with it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gen4maxima536

Post by gen4maxima536 »

try T3, i know they have them, but in what size i couldn't tell you
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

T-3's plates use a 5/8" I.D. spherical bearing, therefore they don't fit, as tein and cusco seem to use an 18 mm ID bearing.

SO my solution is this: have 4 bushings machined as seen in the attachment (one on top of and one on bottom of bearing) to center the strut in the camber plate, and use a standard nut on top.

Or just get some nuts from t3 and make a shimming sleeve.....
Attachments
camber plate adapter bushing 2.JPG
camber plate adapter bushing 2.JPG (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
supersonicworks

Post by supersonicworks »

You need an M12 X 1.25 but to fit on your Tein camber plates that is if you are running 280zx or 510 inserts, Cusco is the only company that sells them separate and the U.S. distributor just file for chapter 11, the new distributor won't have parts until mid next month.

They run for around 16.00 dollars ea.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Yes, but does this M12x 1.25 nut have a shoulder to center the insert in the bearing or is it a standard nut? If its a standard nut, I already have them.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

okayfine wrote: You will have to shorten the strut to obtain more suspension travel with a car that is lowered. Coilovers, in and of themselves, have nothing to do with it.
By my calculation, but just using the 280zx struts with camber plates, I am already losing 1.5 - 2" without lowering the spring on the collar vs the stock 510 strut.
Should be perfect for what I am going for...
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:By my calculation, but just using the 280zx struts with camber plates, I am already losing 1.5 - 2" without lowering the spring on the collar vs the stock 510 strut.
Should be perfect for what I am going for...
OP was commenting on bottoming out with his setup.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

okayfine wrote:
OP was commenting on bottoming out with his setup.
That's a very astute observation.
-Isaac Asimov
supersonicworks

Post by supersonicworks »

gbean wrote:Yes, but does this M12x 1.25 nut have a shoulder to center the insert in the bearing or is it a standard nut? If its a standard nut, I already have them.
Just as the one on the the fisrt page with the correct specs for the 510-280zx strut.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

So it has a flanged sleeve is what you are saying....?
-Isaac Asimov
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

So I found a SOLUTION.

Got some m12x1.25 mag lug nuts from a parts store near here that just happen to have a 17.9mm flange.

Got my Coilovers together today. Finally.

-Isaac Asimov
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

That's pretty slick
I'm your huckleberry.