PLanning 280zx front brkes

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Grajeda

PLanning 280zx front brkes

Post by Grajeda »

Hey, ive been planning out the mods for my 71 4dr 510. Thought of just buying new 510 stock brake parts, but thought that a would want to change to brakes again once i swap a KA in it. So can i just get the 280zx front brake parts at a pick n pull or a local junkyard :?: Or would they have to be new? And when i get the suspesion for it would i look for 280zx suspension instead of 510? :?:
http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx16 ... g&newest=1
defdes
Supporter

Re: PLanning 280zx front brkes

Post by defdes »

You'll want the struts with the brakes.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

You want to grab something like this with the rotor and caliper on it. Make sure it's from a zx and not just a z car.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

is that a z in the background?
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Not with those calipers. lol Nope, that's my '74 710. The strut in front is actually from an '84 Maxima wagon which shares the 280zx platform. The rotor and caliper are almost the same as the zx.

I'm hoping to either use the Maxima strut or the spring and rotor/caliper on the 710.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Grajeda wrote:Hey, ive been planning out the mods for my 71 4dr 510. Thought of just buying new 510 stock brake parts, but thought that a would want to change to brakes again once i swap a KA in it. So can i just get the 280zx front brake parts at a pick n pull or a local junkyard :?: Or would they have to be new? And when i get the suspesion for it would i look for 280zx suspension instead of 510? :?:
You need to re/search a lot more before spending money.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JDM510

Post by JDM510 »

^^^ hes trying to research but with stupid ass comments like that hes not going to get far...

go to the 1982 280zx get the hole strut and brake assy(3 bolts up top and 2 below) the hole assy will come off. then you will need to remove the spring and the lower pearch. then you will have to eaither install a 510 lower pearch or buy coilovers..also buy bump steer spacers cuz the 280zx struts are shorter so you will need them to put your a arms and tie rods back close to stock
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JDM510 wrote:^^^ hes trying to research but with stupid ass comments like that hes not going to get far...
Whereas with your inaccurate and, in some cases, completely wrong information, he'll be better off? :roll: You also didn't fully read (or, apparently, understand) the OP's question and the questions that lie unasked.

The 280ZX brake upgrade itself is easily the most common upgrade for 510s, it has been documented in DQ, and there are probably 50 different threads here on The Realm about it. We really need 51?

Do I hear 52?
JDM510 wrote:go to the 1982 280zx get the hole strut and brake assy(3 bolts up top and 2 below) the hole assy will come off.
The word you are butchering is "whole." Try it, you might like it. '82 also is not the only year to look for.
JDM510 wrote:then you will need to remove the spring and the lower pearch.
Not necessary depending upon information the OP hasn't given you. You certainly don't need to remove the lower perch if you don't have issues with the resulting ride height. Which depends on the spring used.

No, you can't use the ZX springs, since they are too large in diameter to fit in the 510 strut towers. Doesn't mean 510 springs won't fit fine in the ZX lower perches.
JDM510 wrote:then you will have to eaither install a 510 lower pearch or buy coilovers..
No, you don't.
JDM510 wrote:also buy bump steer spacers cuz the 280zx struts are shorter so you will need them to put your a arms and tie rods back close to stock
Wrong. Bumpsteer spacers are generally required because the calipers will rub the steering when the brake pads get to half-worn. Alternatively you could swap the struts left for right and not have any issues.

Eventual ride height determines if the LCA angle is an issue or not. :roll:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Unless you plan on doing alot of track days with the car I wouldn't bother with the ZX brake upgrade for a KA swap. Okayfine's whitebird has a NA SR20 and runs 4 wheel drums and probably has pretty good braking all around. The stock 510 front discs, when maintained properly will give you plenty of stopping power for day to day driving and the occasional blast on the track or thru the canyon.
Another bonus of keeping the stock brake setup is the availability of rims, very few 13's will fit over the zx brakes.
1972 Yellow 4dr
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

510-Trevor wrote:Unless you plan on doing alot of track days with the car I wouldn't bother with the ZX brake upgrade for a KA swap. Okayfine's whitebird has a NA SR20 and runs 4 wheel drums and probably has pretty good braking all around. The stock 510 front discs, when maintained properly will give you plenty of stopping power for day to day driving and the occasional blast on the track or thru the canyon.
Another bonus of keeping the stock brake setup is the availability of rims, very few 13's will fit over the zx brakes.
Yup... I'm going to run a hot L20B on stock struts(I want a widened set of steel 13 inch rims), hopefully with slotted rotors and a better caliper... Its been pretty often said here that good pads will make more of a difference with spirited driving than bigger overall brakes.
Front Suspension - Side View - Rotoredit.jpg
Front Suspension - Side View - No Rotoredit.jpg
heres a "classic" 510 front strut mod... :wink: vintage rare photo's I've obtained.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

510-Trevor wrote:Unless you plan on doing alot of track days with the car I wouldn't bother with the ZX brake upgrade for a KA swap. Okayfine's whitebird has a NA SR20 and runs 4 wheel drums and probably has pretty good braking all around. The stock 510 front discs, when maintained properly will give you plenty of stopping power for day to day driving and the occasional blast on the track or thru the canyon.
Okayfine's setup is for someone that understands the limited stopping power of 4 wheel drum brakes and is willing to drive based on that knowledge. He will not drive the car super aggressive nor will it see any track time. He also is willing to do the regular adjustments that drum brakes need. This is not a good case to say that stock brakes are adequate for stopping 140-160 HP in a 510. Yes you can add porterfield pads or others and keep the brake system in good working order but even my L20B powered 2 door with brand new rebuilt brake components (stock brakes front and rear with porterfield pads up front) provides only marginal braking. Sure it will stop the car even in a panic situation but there is no way I will brake late to take that corner fast. For the cost of the upgrade to ZX brakes, I feel it is worth it.

IMO, it is better to have too much brakes and never use them then to have too little when you need them.

As for 13" wheels, the tire selection for 13" tires is getting very limited so upgrading to 14" or larger opens up alot of tire options.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
JDM510

Post by JDM510 »

okayfine wrote:
JDM510 wrote:^^^ hes trying to research but with stupid ass comments like that hes not going to get far...
Whereas with your inaccurate and, in some cases, completely wrong information, he'll be better off? :roll: You also didn't fully read (or, apparently, understand) the OP's question and the questions that lie unasked.

The 280ZX brake upgrade itself is easily the most common upgrade for 510s, it has been documented in DQ, and there are probably 50 different threads here on The Realm about it. We really need 51?

Do I hear 52?
JDM510 wrote:go to the 1982 280zx get the hole strut and brake assy(3 bolts up top and 2 below) the hole assy will come off.
The word you are butchering is "whole." Try it, you might like it. '82 also is not the only year to look for.
JDM510 wrote:then you will need to remove the spring and the lower pearch.
Not necessary depending upon information the OP hasn't given you. You certainly don't need to remove the lower perch if you don't have issues with the resulting ride height. Which depends on the spring used.

No, you can't use the ZX springs, since they are too large in diameter to fit in the 510 strut towers. Doesn't mean 510 springs won't fit fine in the ZX lower perches.
JDM510 wrote:then you will have to eaither install a 510 lower pearch or buy coilovers..
No, you don't.
JDM510 wrote:also buy bump steer spacers cuz the 280zx struts are shorter so you will need them to put your a arms and tie rods back close to stock
Wrong. Bumpsteer spacers are generally required because the calipers will rub the steering when the brake pads get to half-worn. Alternatively you could swap the struts left for right and not have any issues.

Eventual ride height determines if the LCA angle is an issue or not. :roll:

not everyone reads or cares about the DQ, i know i dont care paying for info i can get for free threw forums.. and who gives a shit maybe the guy cant use a computer good.... or his sucks and is slow and cant take the time to search around??? (not everyone is rich and smart like you julian).. so why dont you lighten up and help the 510 comunity? if your TRYING to do something for it???? be a friend answer a question 55 times if you have to.... DONT BE A DICK!!!!

and maybe if you would have took the time to see his pictures you would see he has a nice MODDED car and a s13 that looks all JDM drifter fool, this guys looking to build a real car to use.. not something he sits in his garage and pretends..cough cough....

and drums SUCK....first issue, heat failure.. lets take a run up the hiway at speeds of 100-120 threw traffic when we get off the freeway and coming down the off ramp let see whos brakes are smoking and hardly work.... sure 4 wheel drums are fine if you wana sit and look at your car...

and another thing next time YOUR working on your car try and stick the zx strut (with stock lower spring seat) up into the 510 body housing and then turn the strut??? see how it wont turn freely so that means in a bump on a turn your lower pearch will come in contact with the body (thats a good idea huh julian, did you document that in DQ?)... plus your spring wont be sitting in the seat and their for have more chance to walk around when steering the car or in a bump ( this is good for the 510 comunity tell them to hack on their cars and take the short cut to things) thumbs up their buddy DQ would be proud!!!!....

if your the dick writing the DQ im sure glad i never botherd with any of it... cuz all your info you just typed to TRY and look like the datsun god you THINK you are.. made you look like a dumb ass (more then me misspelling a few words)

and if you read what the op says (like you told me to do) he says hes droping in a KA and looking to do mods and suspention upgrades... i think any one who builds a stock 510 strut is dumb.. for the price and hard to find brake calipers and parts.. the ZX brake items can be found all day at any auto parts store. plus the diff in braking power at 90 plus mph (somthing julian wouldnt know about) is way better then stock 510 brakes

oh yeah and bump steer spacers have NOTHING to do with brake pads (not that i ever heard)... its so when you put the shorter strut or lower your car then your tie rods, lower ball joints, and sway bar geometry will go back to where it was (otherwise lower your car or put shorter struts with out bump steer spacers and look how close your sway bar is to hitting your cross memeber on a bump if its not already sitting on it...

BTW OP you have a nice car i like the flared 4dr you dont see that everyday if you have any questions about your ZX setup conversion you can PM or call me i will be glad to help you with info....
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JDM510 wrote:not everyone reads or cares about the DQ, i know i dont care paying for info i can get for free threw forums..
I am perfectly aware that not everyone subscribes to DQ. The information IS there and has been well documented in the process. That IS worth something, whether you believe that to be the case or not. The internet is full of...stuff, but sometimes it is hard to determine if it is factual and accurate or if it is made up by some fool who doesn't know what he is talking about...such as yourself with your reply above filled with inaccuracy and error. DQ is proofed by some of the most well-known people in the 510 world, DQ doesn't print rumor or third-party "I think my friend's brother did this."

So don't pay for DQ, it matters not to me. But please show me where you can find all that is in DQ on forums. I'll wait.
JDM510 wrote:and who gives a shit maybe the guy cant use a computer good.... or his sucks and is slow and cant take the time to search around???
If he (or you, or whomever) can't "take the time to search around" then he, or you, or whomever are in no position to begin messing around with something as important as brakes. Period. End of story.

JDM510 wrote:so why dont you lighten up and help the 510 comunity? if your TRYING to do something for it???? be a friend answer a question 55 times if you have to.... DONT BE A DICK!!!!
Between the two of us, there is one person here who does help people, and one person here who’s done little but lie, cheat, and generally make a fool of himself. It’s pretty clear who does what, if by nothing else than your little quote above.

Answering a question 55 times is no help to the 510 “comunity” [sic]. Documenting the answer to that question in a clear, concise manner and pointing people to that reference is a help. I’m sorry you don’t see or appreciate the difference between those two things, but that’s much more of a problem with you and the value you put on information than me and my valuation of same.
JDM510 wrote:and maybe if you would have took the time to see his pictures you would see he has a nice MODDED car
And if you had been paying attention at any point in time you might know that he didn’t build his 510 and doesn’t even know for sure what block and cylinder head he has. Possession of a modded car means little to nothing if the knowledge that built the car isn’t also there.
JDM510 wrote:this guys looking to build a real car to use.. not something he sits in his garage and pretends..cough cough....
Are you sick? Do you have a cold? Innuendo is not your strong suit, just come out and scribble whatever you were trying to say.
JDM510 wrote:and drums SUCK....first issue, heat failure.. lets take a run up the hiway at speeds of 100-120 threw traffic when we get off the freeway and coming down the off ramp let see whos brakes are smoking and hardly work.... sure 4 wheel drums are fine if you wana sit and look at your car...
And you’re suddenly a brake system engineer? Drums don’t suck, they are different. Qwik510 is very correct in his assessment of my brake system and my own reasoning behind using it. Your hypothetical (look it up) is meaningless because I will never drive it at 120mph (as you never have and never will), much less “threw” [sic] traffic.

Aside from that, I could do a 100mph-0 stop in reasonable distance and retain control of the car. If I immediately took it back to 100mph and did it again? It wouldn’t stop nearly as well, but then neither would a stock disc/drum 510, so what’s your point?

Four-wheel drums are fine for daily-driving, the occasional canyon run, and 95% of the driving the average 510 sees. I DD my 510, I live surrounded by canyons, and I use my car just like I’ve used my built, track-ready KA510. Since you have absolutely no idea what I do with my car, stop making poor assumptions about the subject and making yourself look a bigger fool than you already are…uh, if such a thing were possible.
JDM510 wrote:and another thing next time YOUR working on your car try and stick the zx strut (with stock lower spring seat) up into the 510 body housing and then turn the strut??? see how it wont turn freely so that means in a bump on a turn your lower pearch will come in contact with the body (thats a good idea huh julian, did you document that in DQ?)
Since I don’t know what you’re talking about…I guess that’s a “No”? The ZX strut will fit in the 510 fender with the ZX lower perch, and when it rotates it rotates about the strut top, so the lower perch will be concentric in its rotation. How does it suddenly impact the body? Perhaps you had a bent strut, or a bent body. The ZX spring is not even an inch larger in diameter than the stock 510 spring, so please explain how your mystery body contact is an issue?
JDM510 wrote:... plus your spring wont be sitting in the seat and their for have more chance to walk around when steering the car or in a bump ( this is good for the 510 comunity tell them to hack on their cars and take the short cut to things) thumbs up their buddy DQ would be proud!!!!
Hey Chris, you’re a moron. If you have no idea how things work, please don’t continue to spread your misinformation like you’re some sort of expert. The 510 spring will sit fine in the ZX lower perch. The ZX and 510 perches are designed the same, with the ZX being only slightly larger in diameter. The springs are also designed the same with an open coil at the bottom. So, it will sit just fine in the spring seat and it is certainly possible to run 510 springs in ZX perches since hundreds of people have done it exactly that way.

As for steering, the spring rotates, but not by itself, it rotates against the top hat and the bearing located in it. So how’s there going to be an issue with the 510 spring in the ZX lower perch when steering? Just because you spit something out like that doesn’t mean it’s true.

I’d also be careful tossing out accusations of me telling “the 510 comunity” to hack their cars, given your advice in this thread alone.
JDM510 wrote:if your the dick writing the DQ im sure glad i never botherd with any of it... cuz all your info you just typed to TRY and look like the datsun god you THINK you are.. made you look like a dumb ass (more then me misspelling a few words)
See, again, just because you type something doesn’t make it real. HOW did explaining how you were wrong, you know, using facts, make me look like a dumb ass (and not only a dumb ass, but more of a dumb ass than YOU, which I think is got to be some kind of world-record attempt, am I right?)? You’ve not tried to correct anything that I said when I DID correct you…so your statement is sitting there pretty empty.

Also, if you’ve never bothered with DQ then you can’t know anything that we’ve covered, and therefore you can’t offer an opinion of its worth, now can you? See, when you live in the real world and deal with facts and pesky things like that, you’re not as free to launch unfounded diatribes (look it up) and call people dicks in public. But, hey, at least you’re doing it to my face now instead of behind my back on Ratsun.
JDM510 wrote: i think any one who builds a stock 510 strut is dumb.. for the price and hard to find brake calipers and parts.. the ZX brake items can be found all day at any auto parts store. plus the diff in braking power at 90 plus mph (somthing julian wouldnt know about) is way better then stock 510 brakes
LOTS of people run stock brakes. When Ted Hedman still has his L20B he ran stock brakes for many reasons and he’d run rings around you no matter what you were driving. Stock brakes have been required in the various SCCA classes since, well, ever, and at least those guys have actually gotten over 100mph to test ‘em. Nevermind that there are plenty of brake upgrades for stock struts if you’ve got the coin, so, keep your incorrect generalizations to yourself. You’re not adding anything, you’re just attempting, poorly, to sling mud.

Lastly, 90mph-0 braking ability is not really the concern of anyone. No one drives like that, including me.
JDM510 wrote:oh yeah and bump steer spacers have NOTHING to do with brake pads (not that i ever heard)...
Why don’t you put down the bong and pay attention you dumb moron. In fact, screw it, I already corrected you once on this point and I’m not going to waste the effort to do it again. Clearly you revel in your ignorance, just quit spreading it around like you know what you’re talking about.
JDM510 wrote:its so when you put the shorter strut or lower your car then your tie rods, lower ball joints, and sway bar geometry will go back to where it was (otherwise lower your car or put shorter struts with out bump steer spacers and look how close your sway bar is to hitting your cross memeber on a bump if its not already sitting on it...
Good lord. Listen, chief, I could put a shorter strut on my 510 and have the car sit higher than stock if I had a longer spring, or an adjustable setup that I raised. Again, stop spewing wrong information.
JDM510 wrote: BTW OP you have a nice car i like the flared 4dr you dont see that everyday if you have any questions about your ZX setup conversion you can PM or call me i will be glad to help you with info....
Nearly all of which is incorrect. Nice job!
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

YA! What Julian said Beeeatch! (i didn't actually read what julian wrote, but the rage is keeping me warm like a million sunshine units of radiation) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

merlin wrote:(i didn't actually read what julian wrote, but the rage is keeping me warm like a million sunshine units of radiation) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hey, I tried to add in a million "dick" and "fag" slams too, but the forum software said JDM510 used 'em all up :roll: I thought Spencer promised Supporters an increased "dick" and "fag" allotment.

And, don't worry Merlin, JDM510 won't read or comprehend my reply anyway. Your cliff notes saves him the strenuous effort.