SR SR20 SR20DET radiator choices - REAL info

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
vdubjim

SR SR20 SR20DET radiator choices - REAL info

Post by vdubjim »

Thought i would share my research after LONG LONG searches on here and the web:
If you want to add to it, PLEASE do, but PLEASE NO speculations or generic got it in the junk yard crap.

ACTUAL part numbers AND pics etc....

Ron Davis 1A-22163 $450 on their site, call em its around 250.00!
Mods

Summit Racing $175
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380645/

NEW ebay for 510 - $249
ANYONE used this? Their intercoolers have good reviews...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-5 ... 166wt_1167

Custom ron davis rad. coming this week, its actually in one of their pre made endtank styles (22x16x3). I have 4.25" of clearance from the IC to the crank/water pump pulley at the present time. The rad installed will give me about 1.5" .

Griffin Radiator $180
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI%2 ... toview=sku

Jetta GLX VR6 rad (rock auto)$200

Porsche 944 Turbo - New- 375 (rockauto)

Mckinney - $540

Datsport - $2195

TSR- 600ish

Classic Radiators 189. Seems like a great warranty
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-ROW-Al ... 102wt_1202
Last edited by vdubjim on 15 Feb 2010 17:42, edited 4 times in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: SR radiator choices - REAL info

Post by okayfine »

For this to be useful, you might want to change the thread title to SR20DET, the radiators listed are all more cooling than you'd need for an SR20DE, but most importantly you can't search for "SR".

Also, ideally you'd have part numbers for hoses used for each (and the info on how they modified the coolant outlet necks). Some of the radiators listed, like the VR6 with the coolant inlet and outlet on the right, are far from good for an SR swap. KA, perhaps.
Last edited by okayfine on 28 Jan 2010 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Baz

Post by Baz »

Thanks for adding a pic of our radiator.
Just to set things right. The price is $AUD inc. tax.
The price is for the complete kit including IC etc.

Note that the hose kit would not be suitable for LHD 510s
due to the repositioning of the exhaust manifold & turbo.

http://www.datsport.com/cooling-sr-radic-s13.html
http://www.datsport.com/cooling-radiator-ic-list.html

Our aim was to have an easy to fit IC rad system that the DIY guys could do at home with a minimum
of tools & ability. With out the angst that comes from starting from scratch.

Hope you Guys can get a few ideas from our endevours.
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

I didnt put the info about the hoses because IF you have done research on it, most people say "went to the NAPA and looked on the rack and grabbed one shaped ok"

Sorry baz, forgot about the AUD thing!
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Nice post. It would also be nice if you could put some delimiters between each set of pictures/description. Right now things are running together and it's unclear exactly what pictures/links/descriptions go together. Either more space between, or something like

[PICTURE]
[Brand/Model]
[Link]
[Description]
I'm your huckleberry.
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

names are ABOVE the pics.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

vdubjim wrote:I didnt put the info about the hoses because IF you have done research on it, most people say "went to the NAPA and looked on the rack and grabbed one shaped ok"
:? What's the difference between that and people doing the same for the radiators? "Went to the junkyard and looked around and grabbed one shaped ok" ? IF you have done research on it, you won't need this thread.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
vdubjim

Re: SR SR20 SR20DET radiator choices - REAL info

Post by vdubjim »

Forgive me for trying to help people. Rads are a bit more involved than hoses.

Looks like another suspension/brake thread. thanks......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

vdubjim wrote:Forgive me for trying to help people. Rads are a bit more involved than hoses.

Looks like another suspension/brake thread. thanks......
Don't get all bent out of shape. I'm trying to make your thread better, so that it'll contain enough "REAL info" to do the job you want it to. If you were looking to contribute a piece such as this to DQ, I'd ask for the same types of information. Just 'cause it's on the web is no reason to do it half-assed.

Without information on hoses used and mods necessary to the coolant outlet, you're leaving some of the most important information missing. People who have the radiators you've pictured will have that additional information. It's great you've gathered some of the information, but it would be more useful if you had all the information.

Radiator brand, model, cost, dimensions, and inlet/outlet configuration (location and size)
Mods necessary to mount radiator
Mods necessary to coolant neck, if any
Hoses used (p/n, cost)
Mods necessary to mount hoses (trim, cut...)

With that, you could encompass an updated radiator swap guide for any modern engine swap. You could even do a sidebar with information on fans used.
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

First off, im not looking to make a rad swap guide. or an article for DQ.

The people who used the rads above either dont post the info in their build threads because they cant remember, did the grabbed if off the rack trick or dont care to share, hence the lack of info above.

I wanted to make a listing of rads people HAVE used in their cars and with pics IF avail. Not some BS this SHOULD work or this one MIGHT, like many on here post.

As for me getting bent outta shape, believe me im not even close, but you gotta wonder why many posts turn this way when you get involved in them? Maybe sometimes just leave posts the way they are and try not to perfect them all.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I used the TSR, mainly for fit, finish and function, proven to fit with some modification, ok tech support. But you could get the same thing from Ron Davis for way cheaper. As far as radiator hoses, it also depends on what mods to your water neck you have made, you will have to make some because the thing sticks out the front of the motor, you need to have it come out the side, or you will have a lot of problems with hose clearance. I too went in the back of the parts store and searched for a hose, I have the part number that I used, but it's in my toolbox that is in storage in the states....sorry!! and yes, you will get many "this SHOULD fit, or MIGHT fit" and you find out after you have wasted your money!!

TSR intercooler/radiator combo.
PRO's:
1. Proven in more than a few SR20DET 510's.
2. The intercooler and radiator fit well together.
3. I figured just like every other time, just pay the money and get it once, instead of going cheap and spending more.
4. Looks great installed and works really well....no cooling issues at all from day one.
5. It came to me fully assembled, fans installed and ready to go....

CON's:
1. Price
2. Long wait to get one.(unless you are lucky)
3. on mine, the water filler is welded on off-center, so when the cap is on the ears of the cap are not in-line with the radiator....makes it look like the cap is not all the way on....just a small detail....
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

vdubjim wrote:First off, im not looking to make a rad swap guide.
But with only some additional effort, you could. Which would be a few 1000% more useful, give or take. It DOES take a lot of work to create something truly useful for the 510 community, I agree. We'd all be better off if more people took that effort.
vdubjim wrote:I wanted to make a listing of rads people HAVE used in their cars and with pics IF avail. Not some BS this SHOULD work or this one MIGHT, like many on here post.
Yet a handful of the ones you have posted aren't shown in cars and you question if anyone has used them.
vdubjim wrote:As for me getting bent outta shape, believe me im not even close, but you gotta wonder why many posts turn this way when you get involved in them?
Many? Hyperbole, thy name is vdubjim.
vdubjim wrote: Maybe sometimes just leave posts the way they are and try not to perfect them all.
This I don't understand. Why leave it half-assed? I have experience writing articles for DQ and for The Realm, and I know that others may not have that experience. Hence, giving advice on what it would take to make this thread truly useful. Is it more work to add the information required to make this thread a significant contribution to the 510 community? Sure, if it was easy, everyone'd do it. Your OP is a good start, it would be great if you completed it.
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

i know what you mean on tsr, i have his motor mounts not installed yet, i hope....
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

Vdubjim? Whats that got to do with half your posts you acting like an elitist?

Im done. Everyone hope you can use the info i posted, sorry its not perfect, im done with dipshit and his critiques.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

One more thing. That Ron Davis radiator that I and S15DET are using, part #1A-22163 is only $279.00, not $450. You only have to modify it like I did if the engine is sitting in the stock location, if you have it moved back towards the firewall some, you won't need to modify it.