R180 questions...

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
angzt

R180 questions...

Post by angzt »

I'm about to buy a 3.9 LSD R180 from an STI... it's being advertised as being meant for 6 speed transmissions...?

My sr20 has a 5 speed... please educate me on why this would be a bad purchase? :?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: R180 questions...

Post by okayfine »

angzt wrote:My sr20 has a 5 speed... please educate me on why this would be a bad purchase? :?
'Cause the R180 STi diff has a different spline count compared to 510 stubs. So it won't bolt in.

You could have machine work done to make it bolt in:
DQ 9.4 - Tech How-To: VLSD Installation -- Subaru VLSDs are now more common (and cheaper) than clutch-pack R160s. Australian Peter Otzen documents the fabrication necessary to use 510 half shafts and make the installation a bolt-in.

Same conversation we already had:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p133175
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

It should be fine. It prolly came from one with a 6 speed but the 3.9 ratio should be great with the SR. I'm runnin a 3.83...nice and tall for turbo spool. :)
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Regardless of anything else, what exactly are you planning to use for the output shafts?

It being advertised for 6 speed transmissions is for the Subie guys, since their vehicles are AWD and you need to match the rear diff to the front diff which is built into the transmission.
I'm your huckleberry.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I'm using that diff. I had to use custom CV axles from the driveshaftshop.com.
There are some details here that you should read about, especially the part about the pinion flange not fitting through the 510 crossmember.
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105
angzt

Post by angzt »

I'm well aware of the spline count issue. I was just going to bring it to a drive shaft shop and have them fab everything for me.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I would get a R160 clutch pack if possible.
around here in Wa with my connections they go for 200$ Buy a stack of them I had 2 myself.

getitng a R180 to work is going to cost you$$$$$$ then find out it could be a viscous type and you cant do burnouts.

while driving the R160 you can figure out what you really need. The Subie R160 is about a 3hr install using the stock 510 halfshafts.

If you can afford that fancy setup then go for it. but beware you could be upo to 2K $ before your done with the cost of the diff.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

angzt wrote:I'm well aware of the spline count issue. I was just going to bring it to a drive shaft shop and have them fab everything for me.
This is information you need to include in your original post.

And being that is the case, in addition to what you learned last time, what question is still unanswered? Money cures everything WRT automobiles. Go get it done.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:I would get a R160 clutch pack if possible.
around here in Wa with my connections they go for 200$ Buy a stack of them I had 2 myself.

getitng a R180 to work is going to cost you$$$$$$ then find out it could be a viscous type and you cant do burnouts.

while driving the R160 you can figure out what you really need. The Subie R160 is about a 3hr install using the stock 510 halfshafts.

If you can afford that fancy setup then go for it. but beware you could be upo to 2K $ before your done with the cost of the diff.
Yeah - make absolutely sure it's a clutch pack R180, or at the least a helical, before you shell out the cash for all that work. I do think the R180 is more ideal than the R160 or R200 for the 510 with a modern motor swap...too bad finding a good R180 LSD is so difficult and/or expensive.
I'm your huckleberry.
angzt

Post by angzt »

These guys are big exporters from Japan so maybe their English isn't that good, I don't know, but I emailed them the other day and the response was, "This item is a rear lsd, not a clutch-pack." :?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:

WTF? :?

Whatchu Talkin Bout, Willis? :mrgreen:

I have an R200 VLSD from an Infiniti Q45 in my LS1 powered 240Z and I have no problem doing burn outs. I can smoke them skins all the way down the street in 1st, 2nd and part of third.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

This was posted on the bluebirds list a few days ago,

Hi all:

John Coffey at Beta Motorsports in La Habra, CA just got his 1st batch of 19pr of these in this week. If you want a bolt-in (snap-in?) solution to use a Subie STi R180 under your 510, and you have $500 plus shipping for the pair, let him know. You'll need to re-use your press-fit half-shaft bolts, as new ones are currently NOS at Nissan.

Here's the thread on HybridZ:
http://tinyurl.com/yfdwny8

I'm sure they'd go well with the WCR CV axle kit for another $900/pr. Or you could build your own CV halfshafts (per the Ratsun thread) for less--I'm sure Julian can chime in if needed, as he built a set for Whitebird.

sales@betamotorsports.com or 714-299-4000

I'm not connected w/ John or Beta Motorsports, just passing along the information.

Subaru R180 STi diff info is as follows, and all require 27T splined stubs/axles:
3.90 ratios are in the 2004, 2005, and 2008 STI.
3.54 ratios are in the 2006 and 2007 STI.
Torsen LSDs came in the 2007 and 2008 STI, others are CLSD.

(FWIW, 510s R160s and early Z-car R180s are 25T, later cars and R200s are 29T)

Best,
-Kurt
Menlo Park, CA
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
angzt

Post by angzt »

Wow! That is some excellent engineering they did on those...

and yes I've been eying that Wolf Creek kit. They are located in New York.. about an hour from me.

I'm assuming the WCR kit and these engineered side axles are compatible with each other?

I guess I'll have to beg for some overtime at work now :x

And I'm still puzzled as to what the difference is between a STI "rear lsd" as opposed to a "clutch-pack." I was under the assumption the rear lsd was a clutchpack, or maybe I've got my terminology in a knot.

This is the R180 in question:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0460401524
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

angzt wrote:And I'm still puzzled as to what the difference is between a STI "rear lsd" as opposed to a "clutch-pack." I was under the assumption the rear lsd was a clutchpack, or maybe I've got my terminology in a knot.
The type of diff in the STI varies with market and year. If you know exactly what you're looking at, you shouldn't have a problem researching to find exactly what it is, either via Google or NASIOC.

RE: your question in the auction, your boy is in Japan and he didn't understand your question. He might be thinking you're asking if this is a clutch, which is why he clarifies it's a rear LSD. The auction doesn't list year or application.
angzt

Post by angzt »

qwik510 wrote: Subaru R180 STi diff info is as follows, and all require 27T splined stubs/axles:
3.90 ratios are in the 2004, 2005, and 2008 STI.
3.54 ratios are in the 2006 and 2007 STI.
Torsen LSDs came in the 2007 and 2008 STI, others are CLSD.

Finally got an answer back from the eBay guy and he say's they are from 2007 STi's ....
...So he is selling 3.9 R180's from a 2007??? That completely contradicts what you posted :?
and if these are truly 2007, then they are Torsen? :[