Hitachi rebuild advise

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
dmonares

Hitachi rebuild advise

Post by dmonares »

I am going to rebuild the stock Hitachi carb on my 72. Is there anything I should watch for or pay special attention too?

I am rebuilding because the 510 has been sitting for a while. I have already swapped out the fuel for premium and put in a new fuel filter. The car starts up but then dies, spark is good, timing is good enough to get it at least running.
banzai510(hainz)

Re: Hitachi rebuild advise

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I woudl get tons of carb cleaner and shoot it in there while its running and rev the motor up. Rev up then place a rag over the top. suck out the crime.

then adjust the mixture and see what that does.
Stock carbs are not that ez to build. At least for me. maybe the idle jet part is dirty
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Hitachi rebuild advise

Post by okayfine »

I'd suggest diagnosing your issue(s) further, before delving into the carb. It could well be a carb issue, but by your brief description of the problem, it could be many things.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson