ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
Fred_L-P

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by Fred_L-P »

I bought the same steering wheel, the hardware comes with the hub... I guess they want you to buy both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Small update, the transmission mount arrived at my parents house from Mario at TSR, it looks great! Hopefully once I return from the other side of the world, I can fit all the parts up on the car. Of course it will all come apart for paint afterwards.

This mount is for the S15SR20DET, however I am having a really hard time finding one thats not $5000 or more. Anyone have any recommendations? I think the pandemic has these even more scarce than before.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I actually contacted my local JDM engine importer to ask them that very question. They said they were still getting engines from Japan and they didn't know why the prices on ebay were going crazy. I want an RB25 for my D21 all the engines on ebay are 4k!!! A NEO used to be 1200-1600 bucks!! They have one for 1600. Will the prices go back down or is this the new future?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
ace028

Post by ace028 »

icehouse wrote: 05 Oct 2020 06:37 I actually contacted my local JDM engine importer to ask them that very question. They said they were still getting engines from Japan and they didn't know why the prices on ebay were going crazy. I want an RB25 for my D21 all the engines on ebay are 4k!!! A NEO used to be 1200-1600 bucks!! They have one for 1600. Will the prices go back down or is this the new future?
Do you have a contact number for them? I have been having my dad call since I am out of the country, but we keep getting a run around on the engines.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

They don't have any SR's at the moment. I asked about that too. Well they have 1 S14 SR20DE for 2k.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Last summer I dropped by every single JDM engine importers locally asking for SR and nissan stuff. Not a single SR20 in sight, all the rackings were full of K series and boxers.
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

That is a great looking crossmember. I feel lucky that I got my S15 SR20DE and 5 spd at the beginning of the year on Ebay for $1900 (shipped). Hope you find something at a reasonable cost.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Stu wrote: 07 Oct 2020 17:17 That is a great looking crossmember. I feel lucky that I got my S15 SR20DE and 5 spd at the beginning of the year on Ebay for $1900 (shipped). Hope you find something at a reasonable cost.
Thanks, hopefully I can find one. I have seen some DE's but I really am shooting for the turbo and 6 speed version. I might just have to bite the bullet and purchase one at an inflated cost, but that means less money for other goodies.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

We'll I finally got around to doing just a small amount of work on the car. Since I was gone from the US for a while, I had the car in storage, I picked it up where I had it in Texas and brought it home to Arizona. This little car has been all over the US, sadly on a trailer. Hopefully one day it will have a journey under its own power. She will have another journey in about 6 months again across the US lol.

Seat brackets back from powder coating along with the trunk springs.
Question, I have read the posts about installing the springs, but maybe since I have a fiberglass trunk, its way too powerful and lifts the corner up while closed. Or I can install them where it just barely lifts it after unlatching it but won't hold it up. Any advice?

Mocking up my side vents, just need to find some decent flaps from the original ones to transfer to these ones.

I installed the beautiful diff cover on to my R180 LSD along with some ARP bolts. I repainted the diff with wrinkle black and it turned out better than I thought.
Don't mind the overspray, I cleaned that of later.

Cover installed with new bolts and torqued to spec

Mocking up the billet mustache bar

And installed into the car.

I mocked up my trans mount from TSR.

So I also found a few things that I am really disappointed to find, check it out:

A not so bad patch right?

Look at this! I really wish I had inspected the car better before I picked it up, but as its on the bottom, it wouldn't have been easy to spot this. I can't believe I paid thousands for all the work done on this car and to find this kind of work. Makes me sick.

Further, I find out the rear crosmember has the poly bushings installed, but no metal sleeve that goes in the middle, so when I try to torque the nuts, it just bends the large washer. I don't even thing this is the correct washer. Can anyone provide some advice to remedy this? Do I order new and what washer do I get? I have seen some poly bushings that have the recess for the stock style, while these bushings are flat, well bent because they can't seat against the metal sleeve because its not there. Thanks
ace028

Post by ace028 »

I finally got some seats and had the original seat brackets modified to accept the narrower Sparco mounting pattern. I installed the seats and mounted my Momo heritage steering wheel. The passenger seat appears that the floor isn't as level as the driver side so I might need to shim the seat brackets to make the seat sit more level. The seats are Sparco R333. They are pretty comfortable, I am 5'8". I will have to see if a helmet will clear with them in the current position, I may need to somehow lower the seat or lean it back, but so far I think it will work perfectly.

Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

Looking great
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The seats look quite nice.

On the lower bodywork, I saw this post previously and wanted to comment.
Yes, this kind of workmanship does suck. And it's shitty to find out about it so long after the fact because you are stuck with it.
Might be a good idea to cut away the water trap pocked and seam seal it. Otherwise, it's a new pan, now or later. Hard to say really. You're currently in a pretty dry part of the world, maybe it'll never be a problem. Here in the Pacific NW, it would need addressing :-)

Car looks great, glad to see you pushing forward, even with all your time away. Keep it coming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
72ultraorange
Supporter

Post by 72ultraorange »

Ace, those Sparco seats look great — I have a set of those sitting in the garage waiting to be installed… not about it to put them in until paint is done. Thanks for posting this — looks like they fit nicely - and they look awesome in your car! 8) Awesome build progress!
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks Byron. Yea I’m hoping I don’t find any other work like that on my car. I really don’t like paying for things twice. There’s a few things I’m really scratching my head about why it was done that way. I won’t be recommending the place I had it done but don’t want to name drop either. I was missing stuff when I got it back, I get that my car was there for a long time, but when I asked for the stuff back it took months and months to get it.

72ultra,

Yea I quite like them. I put plastic covers over them and figured it was good to mount them as I am moving again so they’d be safer that way. I’m going to take them back out when I do more work inside the car.

I’m getting her prepped for moving again next week.

ace028

Post by ace028 »

I was lucky to get in on datsunrestomods recent axle production run. They fit perfectly in here. Underneath is starting to look amazingly nice, too bad it will not be seen. It will look even better after I undercoat the car. Forgive the messy garage, I am remodeling my house to be a rental and will move again in a few months (hopefully I will be there longer than a year)

Next I have test fitted the freshly powder coated OEM headlight buckets with new plastic adjuster pieces. The headlights are from Dapper, I think they look amazing.

Next I finally received new FutoFab bumpers, I didn't install the rear one yet. I will need to do some adjusting on the front to get it to sit perfectly level, and allow me to use my machined speed tow hook, which I will use later when I move to pull the car onto my trailer.

If you haven't purchased from futofab, they are excellent and provided me with some good info and is very communicative. I will definitely purchase more items :) !!!

ImageAsa Eells

It looks pretty good, I need to do some adjusting to get it level and to pull the bumper in about 1" closer to the car to tighten the gap and get the fender mounting holes closer to where they should be ( I don't think I will actually use them).