gooned

Re: moar good videos :P

Post by gooned »

Good finds Rob!
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Love the Ray's wheels one... What a process.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

I won't say this is a fun video. As the fires rage around our province at the moment, one of our favorite
4 x 4 places to go just got nuked last night. The Nahatlatch Fire Watch tower, which was rebuilt by the 4 wheel drive people, is gone. The video is staggering when you see the ferocity of the wind and flame. Why Lahaina disappeared.

https://www.reddit.com/r/britishcolumbi ... _going_up/

And now this morning, we find that we are so worried about family that live in West Bank, near Kelowna. At the moment, they are right on the edge of the evac area, but as the winds/ash/sparks, who knows. It is evolving too fast to keep up.

Another of our favorite hiking areas in the Gun Lake area, are now on fire, as these winds have driven the fire(s) up the valleys.

I cannot substantiate that Knox Mountain is now on fire, as I am not on social media, but that is from my daughter who has a friend there.

Be safe all!

Keith
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Ya, brutal. I was just up in Lake Country (North of Kelowna) and in Keremeos. Both areas (and friends) we stayed with are evacuated, waiting for the outcome of this mess for them. Rain would be nice but very unlikely.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
gooned

Post by gooned »

Yeah Noel was down today and of course the canyon is closed so long drive home for him, thankfully neither his home nor the Horsefly property are in close proximity to a fire at this time.

We wheeled to the Nahatlatch lookout twice when I had the Yellow Dodge still Keith, it was an awesome spot to go, very sad to see it gone.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

A miscellaneous rambling here….and video link below

Back in the 70’s, my family lived at the North end of Vancouver Island, in Port McNeill. At the time, it was still very remote, no highway going there, so the mass of tourists was yet to come.

There were still areas of incredible remoteness and untouched for the most part, other than the historical occupants of those areas, now long gone.

We were able to visit places like Cape Scott, just made into a park in 1973. The trail to get there, after a 3 hour logging road drive, was 25 miles of mud and swamp. Grueling to say the least. Another super remote beach still had one of the “Life Saving” cabins there, part of the West Coasts attempt to save people if they survived a ship sinking, of which there were lots. It was stocked with blankets, candles, some canned food, should it be needed. In the 90’s it was destroyed, burned to the ground, by the hoards of yahoos that came, as the trail was made that required no effort to get there, so sad.

It was also in this time period, that my Dad was working for Crown Zellerbach, as Chief Fire warden. One year, as a timber cruiser was into a new stand of timber, and I mean a whole VALLEY of untouched timber, he found some caves…BIG caves. It was all hush hush, secret at the time, so the public knew nothing about them. But my Dad did. The caves came under the Ministry of the Environment, so they were trying to figure out inventorying them, etc, and did not want the public to know at all.

The cool thing is, they had one of B.C.’s top cavers at the time come and do a mapping of the caves, of which my Dad ended up with copies. And, as my Dad had to ensure fire safety of the equipment on site of the logging “shows”, he knew EXACTLY where the caves were.

This began our years of exploring caves. One of the more spectacular ones is called RESONANCE CAVE. It is like a worm hole boring into the top of the mountain…did I say top of the mountain?! The amazing thing, knowing how caves are formed, is that these caves are way up the mountain, in karst material, water long gone from any flow other than internal drainage.

It took us over 2 hours+ to descend, 1,200 feet vertical and 1.2 miles long, being careful not to break any of the cave structures. At one point it was getting very small to crawl through, at my point of comfort level. We finally arrived at a small cavern, where there was a 20 foot drop to another level…no rope work for us. In a later expedition that went down, they found a cougar skeleton..STRANGE!!!!

In later years, the cavers pushed through what was called the “MUD ROOM”, a sump of mud and water, to connect to another of the caves systems there, making it the 2nd longest systems in Canada, some 17,101 meters long ( 4.7+ miles).

While I have a ton of pictures, I have only scanned in a few, one of which is my friend Steve, when I took him, and Andy & Tracey from Specialty, to explore, back in the 80’s.

I post this up as Knowledge Network, on Nov. 7, has a program on the caves in B.C., of which the Island ones feature…

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/subterranean/episode-0

Here is a short preview should you be interested.

Even to this day, while they are now known, they are hard to get to, so hopefully they survive without much damage.
Attachments
Resonance Cave 1984
Resonance Cave 1984
scan0035.jpg (342.5 KiB) Viewed 333 times
scan0019 (3).jpg
scan0019 (3).jpg (310.9 KiB) Viewed 333 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Keith,

A bit of a coincidence... my son Stuart is in the credits for that show as he is part of the BC Cave Rescue team and has helped map and navigate many insane caves in BC. I have no idea where he gets this from - it is very far down the list of things I would ever want to do. He has gone 8km (maybe more?) into caves on the island and he was part of a small team that helped that film crew navigate those caves. It amazes me that they traverse tiny narrow passages and massive cavernous openings and sheer cliffs, all under ground. Again, not my thing but still pretty amazing.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

THAT is too COOL!!!! Wow, what a coincidence that I posted this up.

Furthest back I have ever been...in an old mine...was about 1 mile, freaky enough for me. It was a SOLID ore body that was mined out, so minimal roof failures.

Yah, I'm not big on anything I have to squeeze through, that's where I draw the line. I will watch the credits for sure.

I have copies of the original maps in front of me as I type, Dad having given them to me before he passed away.

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

The subterranean video is available now on Knowledge Network. I haven't watched it yet but hope to this weekend. You need to sign up for a free account to watch it, but once you do that, here is the link:
https://www.knowledge.ca/program/subterranean
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Afternoon World!

Another of my miscellaneous ramblings here today, as I sit here at my desk, we are having our first snowfall of the season. It’s 1C on my porch right now and maybe ½” of wet snow and mixed rain.

I hope all that are still on this site are doing well. As I contemplate getting my 510 back to my daughter’s garage, I realize how lucky most of us are on this site to be able to have a ”toy” like this to play with. Sitting in my warm house with food in the fridge, I can only think of the insanity going on in so many parts of this crazy World.

My misc rambling is……Yesterday my daughter called me out of the blue asking me a question. And…some back ground….to the call.

Our daughter took dance as a child and that ended up with her having a career teaching dance, now with gold medal winning Teams and students working around the world in dance or related jobs.

With dance routines of course, there is music to choreograph routines. So, there is a constant search for interesting music.

As I have always had an eclectic taste for music, that also led the two of us on many musical journeys together.

So, to the point, for those of you old enough to remember when NAPSTER started, June 1, 1999, we were able to download many new types of music and just to be able to get that music was amazing to me at the time. We think nothing of it now, when iTunes came out.

Yesterday, she woke up with a tune running through her head and it was driving her crazy as to what the song was…just remembering that it started with an announcer/ car sounds and it was car related. I vaguely remembered but could not nail it either.

Off to the Net I went……

Sure enough, hit me a couple of minutes later….

YELLOW…April 11th, 1988…..The Race

Lots of old racing clips……

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QbJRAWvRU

We had put the music along with others on an early “driving”
Cd for road trips that she had burned for me..

Enjoy a trip to the past.

Keith Law
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Thanks for the trip Keith. I had never seen that video before. Very cool.
BEO 510

Post by BEO 510 »