Shipping Advice needed

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
zKars
Supporter

Shipping Advice needed

Post by zKars »

So I pulled the trigger on a "certain" Datsun part from a trusted party in Franklinville NC. It is in a proper shipping container, which is 3x2x3 ft, weights 260 lbs. Anyway, it won't fit in the mail, and I'm a hell of a long way from North Carolina, so I need it shipped.

I want to ship it from there to the closest US border entry point to Calgary with a shipping depot. The closest one with a place I trust is Sweet Grass Montana ("At the Border Storage'). People here have used them before. Many of you in mainland BC I'm sure do this all the time to save customs and shipping costs when buying US goods. If you don't, check it out.

Now my question to the fine members here, have any of you used a US freight shipper to transport anything semi-recently, ie do you have a recommendations?

I've have a bid for this shipment up on UShip.com (anybody watched Shipping Wars? Yeah, those guys...) . Its been two days and I've only gotten one bid for ~$200, from an outfit that is just a broker. They have a good rating but I have until the 4th to see who else bids on it. Checked UPS, an they want $667! I can drive to NC and back in my F150 for that much in gas. Hmmm wonder if NC is nice this time of year....

Anybody have relatives coming this way for Christmas from that part of the world with extra room in the mini-van? hint hint?

Any guidance, experience, recommendations, gotcha's to watch for, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS:

a small christmas present is available to the anyone who figures out why I'de buy anything datsun-ish from anyone in Franklinville NC .....
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Shipping Advice needed

Post by qwik510 »

By the size and weight, I would say you are shipping an engine.

I have used several different shippers in the past and have found that it is least expensive to ship from terminal to terminal. Will the seller drop it off at the nearest trucking terminal? That will save you the pick up fee and the lift gate fee too.

$200 from NC to Montana doesn't sound like a bad price. I shipped an engine from MD to the west coast last year and IIRC, it was almost $450.

Sorry but I don't have any recommendations for you. I have heard that most of the Uship people get the job done fine though.

Good luck

David
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm one of those guys who just started getting things shipped to the boarder once in a while, then drive across to pick it up. The diff I bought from Julian would have cost more to broker than I paid for the part. UPS screwed me on a gauge cluster a few years back, and I haven't forgot it. I used to use UPS all the time, and then I got hit with a $150 brokerage fee on a part I paid $100 for! Once bitten, twice shy.

Now there'd be no way I'd dare go near that boarder this weekend with shopping and all. But I found the process pretty painless. I was strait forward, told both side of the boarder what I was doing - had the basic paperwork ready on the way down and was fully prepared to pay my duties on the way back, had the diff sitting on the pas floor for the border guard to see - but was waived through.
So, yes I think it works. I was thinking of buying a set of sticky rubber for auto cross this year and may do it the same way.
But I'm a long way from Sweet Grass Montana, so I don't think I can help you out here in the Lower Mainland.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I shipped a quick change rear to Sweetgrass, MT for a gentleman in Calgary who came and picked it up.

It went thru Con-Way Freight in a crate roughly 6'L x 2'H x 2'W weighing around 200#. Cost was $375.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Dave

Well I couldn't ask for a better targeted reference than that! I'll give them a call and see what I can work out with them.

Thanks!

I think I know who's getting the christmas present! Can't think of a better recipient.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

here is how I crated the quickchange,

I've received engines that were just bolted to a pallet and wrapped in plastic. Ended up with a busted distributor. Proper crating really helps.

Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

as far as shipping with UPS international to Canada Byron. When they call you to tell you the stuff is ready for pick up then tell them you are going to clear the item yourself. You go to UPS and grab the paperwork and head over to the buildings on the southside of the road heading to the airport about 3/4's of the way to the terminal. There is a Canada customs building there. You go in there, declare the goods, pay your paperwork and fees and head back to UPS to collect your goods without paying their brokerage.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Very good point DCupLover, UPS is just hoping to cash in on the time challenged who don't want the trouble of doing the customs clearing themselves. Like anything else, its a service they provide. and there is a cost associated with that. They just don't bother to make it clear that you have an option. Just try to find it on their website.

What really "yanks my chain" is how their fee is based on the declared value of the item. It's the same "work" or cost for them to "process the paperwork" no matter what what the item is, but the fee goes up dramatically if it's an expensive item. Nice business model.

Anyway, I'm calling Con-Way to do my shipment this morning. I'll let you know what the end result is. Thanks again Dave!
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

zKars,
Con-Way is very convenient for me. They have a terminal that is 2 towns over and the crew there are more than helpful.

The irony on the quick change is that it went to Calgary to go into an RX7 racecar that I raced against here in NH. It is a small world.
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

no experience with large items shipped across the border
Dave Patten wrote:I've received engines
be careful when using an outlet for fedex!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Well the engine is here. $736 to Sweet Grass MT, then I went across the border and picked it up. Worked slick. No duty or fees, just GST.

Conway was pretty good to work with. We had some fun with me being the third party, and there was issues paying for it, just not the usual hassles. Would do it again. Now the real fun begins... Thanks for all the advice gang.