Post by Rush »

Yay!!! 😍

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by bertvorgon »

WOW....I had to put my sunglasses on!

So tidy..be careful putting the hood trim on.... :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Haha! Definitely! I'm glad you warned me about it a while back! When I get the trim(s) it'll really come together but at least it looks pretty complete now.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Do you have the lower grille molding? I recall you asking for the eyebrow parts a while back.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

No, I haven't got that piece; I didn't even know there was one until very recently when PjackB posted a photo of his front end.

Today, I put my defroster pipes in! I had to wait until the place I bought them from got the left side in stock, so when I finally got both pieces I put them in. Now I have defrosters! Cool! Those are just two more pieces I never knew the car was supposed to have! It's never had them since I've owned it. With the coming chilly fall weather, they'll be nice to have!
Diabolic kustoms

Post by Diabolic kustoms »

holy crap.. it seems like just the other day I was dropping off quarter windows at your place and now your driving it.. I really need to get moving..
Sounds like you need a 5speed, we might need to do a trade for some interior bits etc..
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Oh! Hey!! I'm so grateful that you did that! I really appreciate it! My car looked a little different then. lol!

I haven't really looked into gearing or a different transmission yet but I think I should do something at some point. I'm not sure if I want a 5 speed because I think it takes quite a bit of modification to fit it, doesn't it?
Diabolic kustoms

Post by Diabolic kustoms »

5 speed is definitely the way to go, it will drop your highway rpms down and make those drives much more enjoyable for you and your engine. You would potentially need to slightly move your shifter hole and the mount and the driveshaft may need shorting. But the tradeoff is well worth it.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I'll do some research on it. I know it's a common mod but after doing so much work removing holes from the car, the idea of putting more in freaks me out! 🤣 My poor little engine sure would appreciate lower RPM's, though!

My boyfriend in high school had a 71 2-door with an L20b & 5 speed and it was a completely different animal. He bought the car finished, though. It was a beauty! I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knows or built that car. I believe this pic was taken in front of the previous owner's house.

I have bumper envy. 😍
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

Hey Rush
The car is looking beautiful and the orange is just so perfect 😍😍😍

Couple of things
- For the bumpers, big news , Amy and her team at Bumper Automobile in Vietnam have finally produced the 510 bumpers in stainless steel , these guys are well known and produce top quality parts only I have their replacement side trims on 2 of my roadsters and many friends have their bumpers on Zs and roadster. Best news is they only sell for 500$ pair with brackets.
https://bumperautomobile.com/datsun-510 ... -1973.html

- For the transmission other than the enlarging the hole its pretty much a drop in , the other option is to get a Subaru 3.54 rear end that's what i have on the automatic special and its a really great match to a 1:1 ratio transmission
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Great info! Thank you!

I saw her bumpers on FB and wondered if it was scammy or not. I'm glad to hear that it's legit! I'm going to ask Santa (husband) to stuff a set into my stocking this year. Wish me luck!
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

Rush wrote: 03 Oct 2023 09:58 Great info! Thank you!

I saw her bumpers on FB and wondered if it was scammy or not. I'm glad to hear that it's legit
Here's how good their work is the bottom trim is my restored originals and the top one is their reproduction
https://youtube.com/shorts/yQCgD7z_Yoc

Rush wrote: 03 Oct 2023 09:58 I'm going to ask Santa (husband) to stuff a set into my stocking this year. Wish me luck!
You've got this :)
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Wow! Looks dead on to me! 😲
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Does anyone know which way the rubber trim that goes on the back of the engine compartment to the hood faces? Does the angled edge point toward the windshield or the front of the car?