280z - Inheritance gift to boy #1

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 280z - Datsun Restomods testbed

Post by bertvorgon »

I run shorter steering arms on my car, sure helped lots.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DADZSUN
Supporter

280z - clearing the dust off

Post by DADZSUN »

Wow, 2+ years since the last meaningful update on this project. Here's where she sat the last 2 years.

Storage.jpg
Storage.jpg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 319 times

With Datsun Restomods taking off and project 635 also fighting for attention, 280z pretty much got tossed to the backburner. Truth be told, I never really like driving the S30 chassis (I've had a few customer examples to play with over the years). I find the seating position way too far back and low.

What I really wanted to do was quickly finish the chassis and sell it to someone who would value it more than I. I did manage to find someone... my oldest son. :roll: Of course, he's got no cash nor somewhere to store it, but he REALLY wants it to stay in the family. I do see lots of meaning in that, my younger son (boy #2) will be getting my dad's 1986 MB 560SL - the exact same car I drove as a teenager.

With winter coming, and me getting softer and softer with every passing year I've decided that my time in a cold garage will be severely restricted in January and February. As a result, my automotive-focused time has to be spent indoors. That's when the idea to assemble and play with a Speeduino kit came to mind.

SolderBits.jpg
SolderBits.jpg (287.79 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Speeduino.jpg
Speeduino.jpg (169.08 KiB) Viewed 319 times

For those who are unfamiliar with Speeduino, it's basically a cheap Megasquirt. My total cost was $230USD, let's say under $400 CAD including all the support tools. The focus of subsequent updates to this builds for the coming 4-6 months will be on the assembly/lessons of this adventure. I'm really hoping it will arm me with much more confidence in aftermarket EFI opportunities.

After deliberating for the past few years on what powertrain to use (the VQ mentioned in the earlier threads had a couple shit bearings - parts were still handy for 635 at least), I ultimately came back to keeping the L28 for several reasons:
  • I know the motor runs, I physically drove it off the tow dolly
  • I've never really spent time with a straight 6 - this motor can delivery an aural experience none of my other builds can
  • Probably my biggest reason due to a non-paying 'customer' - it will be the cheapest option to get the Z up and running
UPS_Sucks.jpg
UPS_Sucks.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Probably the biggest change I've seen in engine builds/swapping over the last 10 years is the cost increase - especially for those of us living in Canada. The above pic is a great example of an eBay vendor using UPS (unbeknownst to me) for a minor purchase. Lately, I've been shipping directly to Canada because the USA PO box is just not worth it anymore. They charge $10/package (sounds like a deal until your axle vendor decides to ship 20 axles in separate boxes :x ), PLUS the cost of time/gas/hassle to get across the border, and more recently non-NY vendors are charging NY taxes, so I have to pay NY AND HST.

TestStand.jpg
TestStand.jpg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 319 times

So the decision was made to go with the L28e. On my son's last visit we pulled the engine/tranny and quickly fabricated a rudimentary engine test stand (more attention to come as we get closer to fire-up). This will will work nicely when I do occasionally venture into the garage this winter, I can wheel it directly beside the wood stove if need be.

EFI_ITB.jpg
EFI_ITB.jpg (185.18 KiB) Viewed 319 times

The plan is to get the motor first running with the existing intake setup (hopefully this winter). If time permits I'd like to see if I can get these 2002 Yamaha R1 EFI ITBs to fit.

40mm.jpg
40mm.jpg (115.44 KiB) Viewed 319 times

With 40mm throats 6 of them should flow enough air to hit 200-225 crank HP on the L28 (150hp OEM with 4 on the R1).

Sliders.jpg
Sliders.jpg (144.19 KiB) Viewed 319 times

The key for me with this setup are the sliders. They are an awesome way to maintain intake air speed = torque.

I am realistic with these ITBs, they are pretty integrated units and may be more hassle than it's worth. But I am keen during the winter (another indoor project) to take them apart and see if I can 3D print a system to connect 6 and even 3D print an intake manifold.

This Z won't be on the road this spring, nor summer. I would be surprised if it's even ready by fall - likely spring/summer of 2024. This will still be a low priority build compared to 635 shakedown (spring 2023), and a potential 510 engine swap (summer 2023). But I do plan to have the engine well sorted out before the chassis is even remotely ready.
Last edited by DADZSUN on 11 Dec 2022 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
gooned

Re: 280z - Inheritance gift to boy #1

Post by gooned »

Those bike TBs look pretty cool, neat project.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Agree. I have them in carburetor form on my L20B and you can floor at 1,500 in forth and it immediately, and without argument, just starts pulling away. It's hard to choose between throttle response or the sound they make.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

[quote=datzenmike post_id=293590 time=1670793040 user_id=1729

Agree. I have them in carburetor form on my L20B and you can floor at 1,500 in forth and it immediately, and without argument, just starts pulling away. It's hard to choose between throttle response or the sound they make.
[/quote]

Very cool! I didn't know you were running that setup. I had the same on my 510 L20 and later on my KA24e.

R1L20.JPG
R1L20.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 291 times
KA24e_R1Carbs.jpg
KA24e_R1Carbs.jpg (160.12 KiB) Viewed 291 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com