Five-Hundred and Ten

View and post your 510 project(s)
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Five-Hundred and Ten

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sick build man.. Is that a new front valance on your car?
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon wrote: 14 Sep 2019 06:57 Right off the bat make sure they/you tap that oil pressure sender junction for a steel fitting!
or just install a BSPT to 37° fitting into the hole that is already tapped for a BSPT fitting :P
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Now that the car is at the painter and motor is at the engine shop it time to make sure all the little bits are ready or get ordered. Lots of big bits to get ordered also. Just ordered a set of CV Axles from www.datsunrestomods.com Fritz is flying from Ottawa to deliver them just to save me the shipping. They will slip right into the Subaru R180 LSD 3.9 that I still need to get. Also ordered a set of fender mirrors and set of Weber Carbs for the engine build.

Pretty happy that the 4 bumper over-riders that came on the car are in decent condition.
If all else fails... try again
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Who is building your 2 litre for you? What sort of build are you looking at for the motor?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Ron Parr in Langley is building the engine. He didn't like the block and head I gave him so he got one from Andy. I think he is still working out a few details but he said plan on burning 94 in it. He says he can stroke the engine a little and bore it out to increase cc. Dual Webers with a ported head and bigger valves. Not sure if that answers your question.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yup, I helped Andy drag the block out from stock. 2 litre's are getting harder to get now. Thanks.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Tonight I opened up the 5 speed I got from the wrecker over 30 years ago. There was a few bits of metal on the drain plug magnet. Turns out to be the center ball bearing keeper from the lower shaft. Everything else looks really good.
I am wondering if there is a place to get a rebuild kit, or should I just take it to someone to get it done....
cambo
Supporter

Post by cambo »

I say do it yourself. All of the places I called in the Portland OR area wanted $600 or so to rebuild mine. I had never done any gear work before and I did it. I cleared off my bench so I could lay every piece I took off in sequence, and I took a crap load of pictures. You'll need a service manual and a press, or access to one, I bought a Harbor Freight one off of Craigslist for $75. You will need a bearing puller set, I bought a new one at Harbor Freight for $50, and a bearing, seal, and syncro kit. You can buy a kit off eBay for $120, but I bought mine at a local transmission rebuilder. It was really pretty easy to do, you just put everything back on in the sequence you took it off. I referenced the pictures I took a lot, you can't take to many. I had to buy a couple of tools, but now I have them forever and I've used the press several times for other projects. The transmission, a 71B, has been in my car for several years now and still sounds and shifts great.

Cam.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

cambo wrote: 29 Sep 2019 09:13 I say do it yourself. All of the places I called in the Portland OR area wanted $600 or so to rebuild mine. I had never done any gear work before and I did it. I cleared off my bench so I could lay every piece I took off in sequence, and I took a crap load of pictures. You'll need a service manual and a press, or access to one, I bought a Harbor Freight one off of Craigslist for $75. You will need a bearing puller set, I bought a new one at Harbor Freight for $50, and a bearing, seal, and syncro kit. You can buy a kit off eBay for $120, but I bought mine at a local transmission rebuilder. It was really pretty easy to do, you just put everything back on in the sequence you took it off. I referenced the pictures I took a lot, you can't take to many. I had to buy a couple of tools, but now I have them forever and I've used the press several times for other projects. The transmission, a 71B, has been in my car for several years now and still sounds and shifts great.

Cam.
Before you loosen that main shaft nut measure 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear end play so you know what you dealing with as you may need new thrust washer and or snap rings if you have to much end play. I just did a 71C for an SR, pretty easy really. A trans manually is very helpful and I have one for the FS5W71C not sure how much is can help with a 71B but I'll bet it's 90% the same.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Got some parts vapor blasted.
Before:
After:
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Also got the valve cover and a few other parts done.
Before:
After:
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Our R180 LSD 3.9 arrived. We should be getting the clip in axles from www.datsunrestomods.com sometime in November.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Vapor blasted?? Wow they look great!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

What is vapour blasting?
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

I was wondering if someone could give me the measurements for the 4 door rear quarter panel side maker cutout?