Jeff's '70 2 Door

View and post your 510 project(s)
slowerthantime
Supporter

Re: Jeff's '70 2 Door

Post by slowerthantime »

The water pump pulley is sorted.

We had to slim down a couple of bolt heads.

Next up is getting the alternator pulley and bracket figured out.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

The Altima alternator is sorted. Replaced the serpentine pulley with a v-belt. The alternator needed to move back by 17mm to align with the other pulleys. Cut the mounting bracket and added a spacer. The mounting bolt and the adjuster bolt were increased to M10. Made the turnbuckle adjuster with M10 heim ends from McMaster-Carr. If you are going to do this, remember to order the left hand tap at the same time...I didn't.

Surfaced the Ermish header flange today, it was a long way from flat but looks good now.

A few small jobs tomorrow then I will be bringing the engine home on Friday and hopefully have it in the car this weekend.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looking so good!

Something I learned, and maybe does not need to be said, but....Carry a second belt! As mine, and maybe like yours, it is specific to YOUR car, so in case it breaks or spits off, you're good to go right away.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

It feels like a milestone weekend. Spent Friday afternoon at the machine shop. Finished fitting headers and intake manifold and loaded it to bring it home.

Dave did a really nice job machining the intake manifold and making washers for optimal clamping with the header.

This one will be fun to tighten!

Home.

I think I must have given the pilot bushing one tap too many and put a small mushroom on the lip which made installing the transmission difficult. I lightly honed the end of the bushing with some fine sandpaper wrapped on a socket. All fixed. Otherwise, everything was reasonably smooth.

So satisfying after so many years to see the engine back in the car.

One benefit of all of the messing around with pulleys and the alternator bracket is that I have plenty of clearance to the radiator.

These brackets were on one of the L20Bs that I bought. They bolt to the bottom of the block and the bell housing holes line up with holes in the mid plate but there aren't holes in the bell housing to accept a bolt or the holes are different sizes. I can't find a reference to them anywhere. Does anyone know what they are from? I think the engine they came off was used in a Land Rover?
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Congrats Jeff, the engine looks great!
Nerius

Post by Nerius »

Fantastic work!

I have those brackets as well, they were on my L18. That was in a Datsun 910 I think. I tried them on the 510, but they were in the way of the steering setup.
Werner
Even the pain is fun.
https://www.instagram.com/dutchydatsun510/
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

The list is getting shorter. Headers, carbs, heat shield, throttle linkage, thermostat housing, steering box, clutch slave and drive shaft all hooked up. I'm not sure I will stay with this throttle linkage. It seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong. Need to figure out some return springs.

There were a few questions a while back about the Remflex manifold gasket. Fit/ porting was great. Seems like it should seal well....I guess I will find out soon enough.

Next is fuel lines to the carbs, wire the new alternator, put the distributor back together. Its all cleaned up with new bushings, its a huge improvement on the sloppy mess I started with.

cartel

Post by cartel »

looks good..
I've always found easier to use bolts on top of intake. then u can install the thick washers below and nuts and slide intake into them.

if your not taking apart a lot like a racecar maybe no benefit.. id also tap water ports .. personal preference
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Merry Christmas!

Not much to report on the car. It's almost ready to make noise...I just need some time to get it finished.

When I was rebuilding the distributor, the bearing holder in the breaker plate disintegrated. I found a guy out of the states who is 3d printing them but 5 weeks later it hasn't arrived. So, I took apart a D4F6 distributor and found that the bearing holder has the same centre bore and bearing positions but the pin location is different and the bearings are slightly bigger. The design of this part seems more robust than the original.

You can see the different pin locations with a piece of the broken holder layed over the D4F6 part.

To use the intact holder, I cut the original pin and some base material, drilled and installed it in the new holder with a plastic welder. It isn't pretty but it works.

Installed.

I have upgraded to an Altima alternator. Does anyone know the correct wiring for this plug?
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Merry Christmas!

Not much to report on the car. It's almost ready to make noise...I just need some time to get it finished.

When I was rebuilding the distributor, the bearing holder in the breaker plate disintegrated. I found a guy out of the states who is 3d printing them but 5 weeks later it hasn't arrived. So, I took apart a D4F6 distributor and found that the bearing holder has the same centre bore and bearing positions but the pin location is different and the bearings are slightly bigger. The design of this part seems more robust than the original.

You can see the different pin locations with a piece of the broken holder layed over the D4F6 part.

To use the intact holder, I cut the original pin and some base material, drilled and installed it in the new holder with a plastic welder. It isn't pretty but it works.

Installed.

I have upgraded to an Altima alternator. Does anyone know the correct wiring for this plug?
cartel

Post by cartel »

do u have the plug?
if not I have new ones..

u need either a resistor or a dash light bulb to trigger it to charge.. then I run a -4 welding wire to starter terminal..

wiringspecialties.com I believe shows it for their harnesses as well
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Thanks Mike, I have a new plug. I was just wondering which way to wire it as the pins aren't marked on the alternator.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Altima wiring diagram?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
cartel

Post by cartel »