Swapping from a SR20DET to a L series engine question

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
paul97

Swapping from a SR20DET to a L series engine question

Post by paul97 »

I found a 510 for sale that has a blown SR20DET and I was wondering how much work it would be to go back to a L series engine. I am not a fan of turbo engines and I wouldn't need that much power because it is just going to be a street car.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Swapping from a SR20DET to a L series engine question

Post by Three B's Racing »

Probably be much easier to simply pick up another SR and install otherwise you'll need, front crossmember, centerlink, driveshaft, trans crossmember dependent on which one is in there, reworking the wiring harness and covering the shifter hole and setting up original shifter hole. Honestly Paul jus put in a stock SR20DET and be done with it. Sure it'll have power but!! it can be driven like Nana's car but when you need the ponies you'll have them.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Or SR20DE or KA24DE
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I’d saddle up my horse before I went back to an L series! :lol:
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Or split the difference and put in an SR20DE naturally aspirated. Smooth driveability and doesn’t have that troublesome turbo you don’t like. Everything would slip right in
demo243

Post by demo243 »

The other thing to keep in mind is finding a good L series locally. They don't pop up very often...

Finding a clean KA can be just as hard nowadays ...

SR's while not cheap can be ordered pretty easily it seems.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Just get a non turbo SR. It will be more reliable and run smooth despite the weather making the car much more enjoyable to drive. Why don't you like turbo motors? Even with the lag they still have more bottom end then the NA motor.

A good buddy of mine did a beast L motor build, LZ block, high compression with dual side drafts. We later tuboed it. He owned it for about 10 years. Sold it and recently I helped him build a 260z with an SR. He said he wished he would have done the sr back in his first 510. So much power and it runs like a new car.

JordanTr wrote: 17 Jun 2020 05:40 I’d saddle up my horse before I went back to an L series! :lol:
HAHA Me too!! An L feels like a SR running on 1 cylinder.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Would it be possible to rebuild the engine and convert it to a non turbo SR20 DE or would it not be worth it? The owner said it spun a bearing.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

icehouse wrote: 17 Jun 2020 12:49
JordanTr wrote: 17 Jun 2020 05:40 I’d saddle up my horse before I went back to an L series! :lol:
just call me Grandpa... but ..... what kind of mileage can one expect from a SR ? is there throttle lag with that fuel injection ? if your fuel pump caffs 100km in the bush can you sit the co pilot on the fender and have them operate the jerrycan ? :P

Long live the Lseries
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

paul97 wrote: 17 Jun 2020 15:09 Would it be possible to rebuild the engine and convert it to a non turbo SR20 DE or would it not be worth it? The owner said it spun a bearing.
I say rebuild it and leave the turbo. There is no way you won't like it. If for some crazy reason you don't cross that bridge when you get there.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

RMS wrote: 17 Jun 2020 16:53
icehouse wrote: 17 Jun 2020 12:49
just call me Grandpa... but ..... what kind of mileage can one expect from a SR ? is there throttle lag with that fuel injection ? if your fuel pump caffs 100km in the bush can you sit the co pilot on the fender and have them operate the jerrycan ? :P

Long live the Lseries

Way better mileage then a L series. No EFI lag. I daily my SR 510's and have never had a fuel pump strand me.

If an EFI pump fails, its on start up. If you bypass the EFI relay and send constant power to the pump, then bang on the pump it will work again until you shut if off. I've done this numurs times on modern cars.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

I like the engine bay without a turbo plus an ITB setup looks so nice and sounds good too.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

What is the value of a really nice and clean 510 2 door with a SR20 that has a spun bearing?
Attachments
510 in long island 3 (640x480).jpg
510 in long island 3 (640x480).jpg (291.77 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I'm pretty happy with my L with injection. Sure it doesn't have the same intake howl as when the mikuni's were on it but now it runs like a dream and it takes a pretty well built SR to keep up with me.
That being said with all the work that would go into changing a SR car back to L you would be better off just getting the non turbo SR or KA. I do know someone with a couple of nice KA's sitting on a shelf that make good power.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
paul97

Post by paul97 »

funwithmonkeys wrote: 17 Jun 2020 19:36 I'm pretty happy with my L with injection. Sure it doesn't have the same intake howl as when the mikuni's were on it but now it runs like a dream and it takes a pretty well built SR to keep up with me.
That being said with all the work that would go into changing a SR car back to L you would be better off just getting the non turbo SR or KA. I do know someone with a couple of nice KA's sitting on a shelf that make good power.
Is there a kit to put fuel injection on a L series engine?