510 seat belt kit

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
yenpit

Re: 510 seat belt kit

Post by yenpit »

zKars wrote: 11 Sep 2020 17:54
yenpit wrote: 01 Sep 2020 09:38 Just found this new seat belt kit listed! The upper loop mounting point DOES utilize the factory captive nut location in the headliner, HOWEVER, they designed it to DROP the actual seat belt loop down about 10 inches, which was my complaint about that upper mounting point.............it carried the seat belt up too high on my neck. That drop/extension remedies that uncomfortable position of the belt! We are ordering a kit now for a customer car, so will report back............

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-304994 ... Fq%3D52218
Well I’m going to take credit for this. This is exactly what I had them build for me on three 510’s so far over the past few years. The set in my 69 has been in use for 5 years or more is great to use. The 9” drop loop from the shoulder belt Position is the key to get the shoulder belt sitting pretty on your chest over the shoulder.

I also did the “right” thing and added a second threaded embedded nut right behind/next to the lower outer stock position on the rocker sill, so the retractor reel and lap belt don’t share the same bolt. Apparently from their web site that’s a no-no. I think Datsport has something similar.
NICE!!! 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Baz wrote: 13 Sep 2020 18:00
yenpit wrote: 11 Sep 2020 14:24 The 68-71 has the lower captive nuts for the seatbelts, but they screwed in "eyelets" & the seatbelts had a "hook" on that end. The eyelets do come out, so you can screw in the big bolts to anchor the later style seatbelts. I bet the upper captive nut is in the upper headliner rail, just not used for 68-71......?? I have a 69, will look!

Bottom line, I see no reason why the seatbeltplanet 3pt retractable kit won't fit the 68, as long as the upper captive nut is present.
The problem is that the top rail anchorage needs a plate fitted with a threaded top hat bush.
This is on Australian delivered 68 models. Later models had to comply with ADRs, Australian Design Rules.
If the US model 68s have the rail anchorage I would appreciate confirmation.
Thank you.
Baz, FYI my buddy with a USA spec 1968 2dr (suicide wipers, small tail lamps etc) verified that his car DOES HAVE THE UPPER CAPTIVE NUT! The Federal Gov't here in the USA really started implementing rules & regs on safety equipment in 1967, so most of our USA spec cars had seat belt rules & regs in place by 1968.......including imported cars ie Japanese & British (I hail from 35+ years in British junk!). Hope that helps clear up a USA spec question!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Time for a revival!

I have been researching seat belts as I am about to get them for my 73. I spoke to Steve at Seatbelt Planet yesterday, and wanted to add some more information.

They currently offer the 52210 and 52218 full kits as has been mentioned and links provided before. they also offer 52211 which appears to be one side, but I did not ask about that one.

One thing he told me that was not clear to me from the website is that the 52210 kit also includes the drop down shoulder loop. The picture does not show that, and he said it needs to have the picture updated. The main difference is the buckle style and inside receptacle stalk. The 52210 includes the cable style with new pushbutton type release, while the 52218 has the sleeved inside receptacle and does offer two types of latches, either chrome or black wrinkle finish. He may have said you can also get the inside part in the floppy style, but I don't remember that for certain.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499 ... Fq%3D52210

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-304994 ... Fq%3D52218

He confirmed the shoulder drop-down is 10 inches. I have also seen this post from Ratsun where user Draker suggested 8" would be better for taller drivers or stock height seats. I know zkars mentioned 9" earlier in this thread. Anyone with these installed have any comments on the 10" measurement, or tried a different dimension? With the Bimmer seats I am putting in the car and my 6'2" height, I measured about 8". Steve said they can do this custom.
https://ratsun.net/topic/78889-1972-wagon-seat-belts/

They are taking about 3 weeks to fill orders now, as everything is built to order (they apparently have over 3000 part numbers they build).

Any feedback or other comments appreciated.

Thanks.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Baz wrote: 10 Sep 2020 04:18 Check this link http://www.datsport.com/body-interior-r ... -belt.html
Baz, if you see this, can you provide the length of your shoulder loop drop-down for comparison? Seems your kit is a nice combo of the cable stalk with the old-school buckle type.

Thanks.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Oops! duplicate submission.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I have the Datsport belts. Here is the drop down:

The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Thanks. Great visual.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

This is good info. As i'm in the market for seatbelts. Now it basically comes down to price as they both have a good reviews. Decisions decision...
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

It may or may not be useful, but there are a few more photos of the Datsport belts in my build thread here: viewtopic.php?p=257515#p257515
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

So fellas seems like everyone on here is a giant being 6' tall and what have you.. Im not sure how to go about picking the right belt for me. Being i'm vertically challenged and coming in at a staggering 5'3 lol. I read everyones complaint how the belts are rubbing on their necks. Will I have a similar issue? I spoke to seatbelt planet this morning and unfortunately I got a new guy who wasn't familiar with the 510 and the belts. So I basically got zero help from him. Bummer :roll: Then there's the Datsport belts, I have a friend who has them and they are quite nice, but they don't fit my budget at the moment. Decisions :|
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

If you are using the standard location roof mount hole for the top, it will depend on your seat placement height. I am in the process of fitting BMW seats in my 73 and measuring everything for the seat belt installation. As I sat in the seat to check the drop height initially I thought 10" would be too much, then I realized I had the adjustable seat height up. Putting it down makes it almost perfect. If a shorter driver put the height up that would correct some of the distance for the shoulder belt. Now the passenger seat does not adjust up and down, so a shorter passenger may have reason to complain about not enough drop potentially.

So, I guess it depends with your stature where you are setting the final vertical height of the seat cushion. I don't know the relative cushion height of these seats vs. the stock ones, as I have no stock seats in either of my cars.

The names I have seen for seatbeltplanet are Steve and Neal. I talked to Steve about two weeks ago as mentioned above.

I think the drop of the two belt designs are almost the same between Datsport and the SBPlanet, maybe a bit more on the SBPlanet.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

iceman510 wrote: 23 Apr 2021 05:30 If you are using the standard location roof mount hole for the top, it will depend on your seat placement height. I am in the process of fitting BMW seats in my 73 and measuring everything for the seat belt installation. As I sat in the seat to check the drop height initially I thought 10" would be too much, then I realized I had the adjustable seat height up. Putting it down makes it almost perfect. If a shorter driver put the height up that would correct some of the distance for the shoulder belt. Now the passenger seat does not adjust up and down, so a shorter passenger may have reason to complain about not enough drop potentially.

So, I guess it depends with your stature where you are setting the final vertical height of the seat cushion. I don't know the relative cushion height of these seats vs. the stock ones, as I have no stock seats in either of my cars.

The names I have seen for seatbeltplanet are Steve and Neal. I talked to Steve about two weeks ago as mentioned above.

I think the drop of the two belt designs are almost the same between Datsport and the SBPlanet, maybe a bit more on the SBPlanet.
Thanks, Im using Evo 8 recaro seats. Not sure on the hight as I have not measured it. Seats are in storage at the moment along with the seat rails. Almost done with the wiring to the chassis. Once I put the wiring back in I'll take a few measurements. I plan on using factory mounting location or what ever it calls for.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I got my seatbelt plant front seat belts in. Unfortunately it didn't come with any instructions. Does any one have these installed in there dime that could give me a hand? Thanks.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

I have mine just about ready to go in, as soon as I finish laying out the carpeting. Just finished the headliner. Let me know what your questions are.

I am out of town and won't be back home until Sunday, but may be able to answer something straightforward. I have done a test fit of the driver's side already.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

iceman510 wrote: 12 Oct 2021 20:12 I have mine just about ready to go in, as soon as I finish laying out the carpeting. Just finished the headliner. Let me know what your questions are.

I am out of town and won't be back home until Sunday, but may be able to answer something straightforward. I have done a test fit of the driver's side already.

Sent you a pm
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !