HELP IM IN DEEP

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Cavanaughsa16

HELP IM IN DEEP

Post by Cavanaughsa16 »

Hey guys this is my very first post about this, and I’ve been reading different bits of info off of here for a long time now.

The issue : I bought a KA out of an 04 frontier

The good part : I have a KA

So I’ve only found one thread on here about a KA swap into a 510 where the motor has come from a frontier or hardbody and it’s incomplete, I know that the sump is a rear and that the intake is different. Also that the wiring has not been done for these... sort of a bad decision but I didn’t know these things when I bought it! I though a RWD KA was a KA and that’s all there is to it. Obviously that’s not true.

Anyhow I’ve got a big old headache now and also a really beautiful 510 with fresh brake lines and an interior but no engine.

Please someone help :/
Last edited by Cavanaughsa16 on 23 Feb 2021 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is fast and fast is slow
icehouse

Re: HELP IM IN DEEP

Post by icehouse »

I made one run on a S13 ECU and harness a really long time ago. You can make it work it's just going to be a bit of a project. Since you can't swap pans.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Cavanaughsa16

Post by Cavanaughsa16 »

Okay so most likely I’ll have to do custom mounts and maybe shave the oil pan a little bit to clear the steering linkage?

Im not sure how thick the pan is, but that bit about the S13 harness really helps out
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Honestly if you aren't in it to deep I would do something else. Is the KA low milage or something?
demo243

Post by demo243 »

You could carb it...

The truck engines are easier to carb- there was a guy on IG and Ratsun running one in his 620. I believe you essentially just need to make an adapter plate for a downdraft weber and run an L20b distributor (might need to drill and tap a hole for this).

You still have the potential oil pan issue to clear the steering linkage, but that can potentially be fixed by a quick chop and weld. Also the mounts, but that may not be an issue. Maybe try dropping it in to see how it sits.

Simplifies your wiring issues.

Just a thought.
Last edited by demo243 on 23 Feb 2021 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Jeff is right IMO. Cut your losses and find another KA that’s correct and complete. What’s the point of going to all the work of installing a modern engine and then putting an archaic carburetor on it 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cavanaughsa16

Post by Cavanaughsa16 »

Yeah it’s got like 70k miles on it and I’d rather not dump it but if I end up dumping it where do you think I could find a fully build s13 or 14 KA in California for under 2k because it’s becoming a pain in the ass, I’m in the SF area

I’ve put a lot of work into it and I’d rather not carb it because like greenthumb said I’m upgrading to modern engine to get away from all that. I’ll take some time to think about it but I definitely am open to finding an S13 or 14 KA
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Carburetors can be fixed on the side of the road, same with the ignition. But EFI may be more reliable, but won't survive an EMP and the ensuing zombie apocalypse.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510rob

Post by 510rob »

demo243 wrote: 23 Feb 2021 12:25You could carb it...
No.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote: 23 Feb 2021 15:07
No.
Not just no but FUCK NO!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Cavanaughsa16 wrote: 23 Feb 2021 12:33 Yeah it’s got like 70k miles on it and I’d rather not dump it but if I end up dumping it where do you think I could find a fully build s13 or 14 KA in California for under 2k because it’s becoming a pain in the ass, I’m in the SF area

I’ve put a lot of work into it and I’d rather not carb it because like greenthumb said I’m upgrading to modern engine to get away from all that. I’ll take some time to think about it but I definitely am open to finding an S13 or 14 KA
Maybe the intake manifolds swap? That might help simplify that issue. Pan is just fab work. I wish I could remember back to the frontier engine I worked on. It may have had the car intake manifold. So many years ago I can't remember.

Mike maybe you remember. It was the guy in Puyallup with the 620.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Nothing wrong with carbs on a KA....

ImageUntitled by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Probably more reliable then my EFI KA swapped 620... Starts every time, even in the cold with no choke. And something just right about having a carb'ed engine in these old cars.

The truck motor is easier to carb too, since from an ignition standpoint its pretty much as simple as swapping the distributor; and from a carb standpoint it just requires making an adapter instead of finding or fabricating a manifold.

But to each there own...

I do recall reading that the car intake will swap on, but Im not positive on that.

Is the truck engine harness not separate like the car?
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
Cavanaughsa16

Post by Cavanaughsa16 »

icehouse wrote: 23 Feb 2021 15:14
Cavanaughsa16 wrote: 23 Feb 2021 12:33 Yeah it’s got like 70k miles on it and I’d rather not dump it but if I end up dumping it where do you think I could find a fully build s13 or 14 KA in California for under 2k because it’s becoming a pain in the ass, I’m in the SF area

Maybe the intake manifolds swap? That might help simplify that issue. Pan is just fab work. I wish I could remember back to the frontier engine I worked on. It may have had the car intake manifold. So many years ago I can't remember.

Mike maybe you remember. It was the guy in Puyallup with the 620.

So it’s lookin like the S13 intake will bolt right on and then that just leaves the oil pan. Do I need tot air the whole thing off, cut it and re-weld it?
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

icehouse wrote: 23 Feb 2021 15:10
510rob wrote: 23 Feb 2021 15:07
No.
Not just no but FUCK NO!
lol, well said.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I was teasing Jeff. He HATES carburetors.

The truck harness is integral with the main harness and a bitch to separate unlike the S14/14 that has it's own going over to the driver's side.

demo 243 I have R-1's on my L20B. I'm old so they seem kind of loud.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs