Thanks Rob!!!!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
icehouse

Thanks Rob!!!!

Post by icehouse »

For letting me borrow the wheels! Damn they look to good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Re: Thanks Rob!!!!

Post by 510rob »

what tires did you end up using?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Keith's favorite, the R888r :) One of the few options if you want something wide and low profile. 225's but probably if measured more like 235's maybe more. They run wide.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

PPHHFFFTTT...I hated those R888's on my car.....

Looks great though!!!!!

Sadly, looks like this is the last season on 048's, so I am going to have to try a new tire......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I have a set of A052's to try out on my tan car. I hear they are really good but they are 200TW not the 60 like your A048's. Probably just the same tire with a different stamp on the side!! All my autox buddies say they heat cycle out really fast though. Which sucks. The new R888r (not the one you had which was the R888) is so much better in the heat cycle department. lasted way longer.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

200 TW...that sucks and the reviews I looked at in competition do not sound great. Be interesting to hear what you find for sure.

I have Yokohama summer only, 200 TW on my Infinity, and while good to a point, are not anywhere near my 048's. Soft is soft.Lived that with different slicks.

15" is getting rare also, I just went through a nightmare trying to find 13" tires for my vintage Boler trailer.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Tread wear is a funny game. What tires are on your Infiniti?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I bought the Yokohama Advan V105's, summer only tire.

I had to balance driving to work everyday, with performance. I like Yokohama's as the side wall's are very stiff, which I like for my driving style of tossing a car into a corner. That is what I hated with the R888's, too much lag from steering input, to feeling the car take the "set".

The Infinity turns in like my 510 and really bites up front on toss in.. In the G35 they run some 8 degrees of castor, which with camber induced on a turn, sure makes the front bite well.

I put them on in 2018 and the first 2 years were great. They have hardened up a bit now but have been wearing well all things considered. I would buy another set. I had Kumo's before and this tire is way better than the Kumo's.

They can be noisy, I really noticed that when driving down to Sonoma in 2018. Your American roads run through such a range of pavement, some stretches of concrete were crazy loud! Same if on older pavement.

Keith Law